Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi guys! I'm new here, so forgive me if I ask questions that have been asked before. I'm from NJ (urban school district) and I'm the mother of a wonderful first grade girl. I'm considering homeschooling my daughter for Sept. How do I start the process? What should I know? Why did you choose to home school and how did your dh/so feel about this? Thanks.

by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Replies (11-12):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group!  Like everyone has said, you need to find out what the laws are in your state.  Some states are very lax in their requirements, others are pretty restrictive.  Be researching different curriculae to see what you think is going to work best with your child.  Be prepared to be flexible.  What works great for one family (or one child even) may not work for yours.  It's very much a learning process, trying to figure out how your child learns best, and what type of structure is going to work best for your family.

To answer your other questions, we homeschool for a few reasons. My youngest daughter has a variety of medical problems.  She started kindergarden but by mid-February had missed over 6 weeks of school because of her health.  So we pulled her and started homeschooling.  That was 2 years ago.  Last March, we pulled my son because of bullying and a lack of help/interest on the part of the school.  Last May we pulled my other daughter because of her anxiety struggles.  The pressures and drama of school put her in the ER wanting to kill herself (at 8 years old). This has been our first year of homeschooling all three of them.  It's been different and we have had some adjustment difficulties, but at this point, I think it's been the absolute best thing for all of us.  I'm so glad we have the opportunity and the ability to do this. My son never wants to go back to public school, my middle daughter quit asking about going back 3 months ago, and my youngest doesn't remember what it was like.  (She came up to me a few months ago and said "Mom! Did you know there's this place where kids go for school and they all have desks and one teacher to help them?") My husband has always been 100% behind this.  In fact there have been times when he's the stronger supporter of the two of us. :)

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Welcome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)