Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I was just wondering how much the curriculum's costs? I thought the local ps provides parents with  that? Can someone elaborate on this for me? Do you guys have designated "classrooms" in your home? Thanks again. 

"We read to know that we are not alone"-William Nicholson

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Replies (11-16):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM

It depends on what curriculum you want.  We spent about 80 on curriculum for next year.  I may spend another 100 just because I am not sure my math is all I want it to be for my 7 year old 1st grader.  She will be doing 3rd grade work next year. 

I have heard some schools provide curriculum but I think that is going away as most school districts have started charter homeschools, atleast in California.

I do have a classroom but it is not really used right now as we are preparing to move.  When we move I will be making a classroom again but it will me mostly aimed at my preschoolers and thier fun centers.  My 7 year old will have a desk and an area to work on hands on projects because she will have lots of those, but she will also have a computer and desk in her own room for school time.  I think we are going to use a laptop with her so we can pull it out when it is not school time.  I am not quite ready for her to get on the internet by herself.

RockEducation
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Curriculum  costs vary. It just depends on how much you want to spend. We are in the HSAP (Homeschooling Assistance Program) and we have the option to "check out" certain materials.  We don't use anything that they have though.  If your state has (free) k12, then you would be able to get everything that you would need at no cost to you.

We do have a designated school room. I have accumulated so many materials that it has really helped me to keep control of the chaos. We actually do school in the kitchen a lot. If not there, in the dining room. I'm a curricula addict.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:57 PM
When we first started in K, I spent around 100 for two kids. Last year I spent nearly 600, but this year only about 350. It just depends on how many free resources you use. We depend heavily on library books. I wouldn't use ps materials if THEY paid ME! Lol. We school all over the house and if the weathers nice, outside on the porch. I have a central desk area in the kitchen where all the materials are kept, but we grab what we need from there and roam.
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM

I use A Beka. It's a bit expensive but I like how all the subjects work together.

I taught my son for 6 years. He's now in 5th grade. This year I sprung for the video class DVD's. I LOVE THEM. We arrange our day the way we want and he pops in his class and does the work. I help if he needs it. He has aspergers and spd. This was a big jump for him. He's doing well and my laundry is now getting done. :)  Not to mention there are no longer any science projects going on in the kitchen sink as I now have time to DO the dishes.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:15 AM
This year, I will spend $480 on my K and $620 on my 1st.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM

hi uhonor

like everyone says, depends on what ya want!

i make up mine except math and lang arts which i use the same books every year, so doenst cost so much for me and i teach upper ages now and some lower ages

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)