Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If homeschooling became illegal....

Posted by   + Show Post
...what would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Replies (31-40):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 24, 2013 at 1:55 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't know what to tell you the law is the law & testing is not a graduation requirement in Texas even if you want to go to collage the testing isn't for graduation it is for attending collage.

Here are the laws & a simple break down of the laws from multiple places. If you come back to argue more then I will know you are nothing more then a troll wanting to stir up trouble because if you read what is in the links you can't argue your case.

ncll.org

Homeschoolfacts.com

homeschooling.gomilpitas.com

A SUMMARY OF TEXAS HOME SCHOOL LAW

Texas home schools are considered "private schools" by state law.  You are required to teach reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.  The Texas Education Code requires public schools to attend 180 days a year, but there are no minimum requirements set forth for private schools such as a home school.

As a private school, you do not have to let anyone from the school district enter your house or speak to your children without a search warrant.  If you receive a written request from the school district to discuss your home schooling efforts, you must respond "in a timely manner" or the school district can file a truancy report based on lack of cooperation.  A "letter of assurance" to the school district should state you are meeting the education requirements of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.  If you have difficulties, there are home schooling legal defense organizations to help you, such as Texas Home School Coalition and Home School Legal Defense Association.

The bottom line?

• You are a private school and as such, are NOT regulated by the school districts!
  • You do NOT have to let school officials or CPS in your house if they "drop in."
  • If contacted, politely tell them to put their request in writing and you'll be glad to respond.
  • You do not have attendance or testing requirements, only the requirement of teaching reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.

For more information on homeschooling laws in Texas, please visit the Home School Legal Defense Association website at:  http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=TX or Texas Home School Coalition at:  http://www.thsc.org/FAQ/default.asp

Copyright © 2012 HEART - Home Education and Responsible Teaching

Homeschool Group Websitedeveloped by Homeschool-Life.comTM

Quoting specialwingz:

Well, I am a student advocate at a college in Austin.  And, I have 100 students in my group that were homeschooled.  And, they will attest to the fact that they had to pass a state approved assessment in order for their diplomas to be official.

Do what you like.  I couldn't care less.  But, your child(ren) will pay the price in the long run.

I'm not saying I'm against homeschooling.  I'm all for it.  I would have homeschooled my 4 kids if I could have.  But, I had to put a roof over their heads and food in their bellies.

But, to say there is absolutely NO state testing involved is wrong.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I honestly do not ever see that as a threat or worry, so I have no response to it. Would I break the law in order to HS? No, would I lead some law making charge? Sure. 

specialwingz
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 10:29 AM

I'm not a troll.  That's just your lame way of trolling yourself.  I simply live in Texas and know for a fact what homeschool students have had to do.  It's possible that things vary between counties.  Even the grading system is inconsistent within this state.  I know teachers that teach in all our surrounding counties, and the grading systems are different.  Some counties grade with ABC as passing and DF as failing.  Some, grade with ABCD passing and only F as failing.  And, before you accuse me of being a troll on this, I am involved with the group lobbying the state board of education to get this changed.

But, if you want to go on believing that one can just homeschool their kids with no state regulation, you go right ahead.  At least it explains the lower level of education in this state.

Quoting usmom3:

I don't know what to tell you the law is the law & testing is not a graduation requirement in Texas even if you want to go to collage the testing isn't for graduation it is for attending collage.

Here are the laws & a simple break down of the laws from multiple places. If you come back to argue more then I will know you are nothing more then a troll wanting to stir up trouble because if you read what is in the links you can't argue your case.

ncll.org

Homeschoolfacts.com

Texas home schools are considered "private schools" by state law.  You are required to teach reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.  The Texas Education Code requires public schools to attend 180 days a year, but there are no minimum requirements set forth for private schools such as a home school.

As a private school, you do not have to let anyone from the school district enter your house or speak to your children without a search warrant.  If you receive a written request from the school district to discuss your home schooling efforts, you must respond "in a timely manner" or the school district can file a truancy report based on lack of cooperation.  A "letter of assurance" to the school district should state you are meeting the education requirements of reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.  If you have difficulties, there are home schooling legal defense organizations to help you, such as Texas Home School Coalition and Home School Legal Defense Association.

The bottom line?

• You are a private school and as such, are NOT regulated by the school districts!
  • You do NOT have to let school officials or CPS in your house if they "drop in."
  • If contacted, politely tell them to put their request in writing and you'll be glad to respond.
  • You do not have attendance or testing requirements, only the requirement of teaching reading, spelling, grammar, mathematics, and good citizenship.

For more information on homeschooling laws in Texas, please visit the Home School Legal Defense Association website at:  http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?State=TX or Texas Home School Coalition at:  http://www.thsc.org/FAQ/default.asp

Quoting specialwingz:

Well, I am a student advocate at a college in Austin.  And, I have 100 students in my group that were homeschooled.  And, they will attest to the fact that they had to pass a state approved assessment in order for their diplomas to be official.

Do what you like.  I couldn't care less.  But, your child(ren) will pay the price in the long run.

I'm not saying I'm against homeschooling.  I'm all for it.  I would have homeschooled my 4 kids if I could have.  But, I had to put a roof over their heads and food in their bellies.

locomomma3196
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:33 PM

i would like very much to know exactly what testing you are talking about. I have read up on the laws here in Tx, and have found nothing saying what you are stating. Perhaps i am overlooking something. Wont you please post a link  to something legit that states this. I don't like to be misinformed.

Quoting specialwingz:

I'm not a troll.  That's just your lame way of trolling yourself.  I simply live in Texas and know for a fact what homeschool students have had to do.  It's possible that things vary between counties.  Even the grading system is inconsistent within this state.  I know teachers that teach in all our surrounding counties, and the grading systems are different.  Some counties grade with ABC as passing and DF as failing.  Some, grade with ABCD passing and only F as failing.  And, before you accuse me of being a troll on this, I am involved with the group lobbying the state board of education to get this changed.

But, if you want to go on believing that one can just homeschool their kids with no state regulation, you go right ahead.  At least it explains the lower level of education in this state.

Quoting usmom3:

ncll.org

Homeschoolfacts.com

The bottom line?

Quoting specialwingz:

oredeb
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM

ohhh still homeschool! no question about it,

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Legally create my own private school which would just so happen to be at home!

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

That is one of the reasons we have never registered. We do not believe the government has any say in our families lives.  If they don't know where we are at in the first place it will be harder for them to find us. lol

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM
2 moms liked this

There is absolutely NO STATE TESTING in TX for home educators.  I have home educated for 20+ years and did my first 12 or 13 in TX.  In TX you do not report, test or anything. They only tell you to teach the basics. Period.  The only "tests" my child (only one did this) did was an entrance test for college. Had nothing to do with public school.  He was 16 and had finished his school so he wanted to do some college. They gave him a test and he started.

Quoting locomomma3196:

i would like very much to know exactly what testing you are talking about. I have read up on the laws here in Tx, and have found nothing saying what you are stating. Perhaps i am overlooking something. Wont you please post a link  to something legit that states this. I don't like to be misinformed.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting usmom3:

ncll.org

Homeschoolfacts.com

The bottom line?

Quoting specialwingz:

I am a stay at home,  home educating, non-vaxingmother to many children :)  And a very happy wife to a wonderful man!!!

Tal0n
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Be illegal.

mamaof2n1angel
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM

If  homeschoolnig  were to  become illegal. i would  move to the  reservation of my tribe..... and  that  would be it... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)