Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If homeschooling became illegal....

Posted by   + Show Post
...what would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:10 PM

We would probably move or try and place them back in the school they came from.

occumommy
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM
7 moms liked this
It would be time to rally. I`d go down fighting i would rater fight then send my kids to dangerous schools
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:15 PM

Quoting lucsch:

Illegal across the board? Illegal under some circumstances? Is this theoretical or based upon the fears of the common core? I need more information. LOL

LOL. If it becames completely illegal, what would you do.  The common core posts are what caused me to curiously google what countries homeschooling is legal in, which led me to see that in Brazil it's 100% illegal (my husband is from Brazil and occasionally we talk about going there), which led me to ask what people would do if the government made it illegal one day. 

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
We are considering a move to Texas because I don't like the idea of forced reporting (and because I am SICK of Florida). If homeschooling is outlawed nationally before LO is of age, I will disappear.
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel like if that happened some states would be a lot more likely to secede, in which case we would move to one of those states, hopefully Texas or Alaska or maybe even stay in Oklahoma. Or we would try to move to Canada. If all else failed I would be alright with sending her to our church's private school.

specialwingz
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

They DO TO have to be tested in Texas.  I know over 100 homeschool grads that had to take a state test before their diploma was official!

Quoting usmom3:

It wouldn't happen over night so as soon as I knew it was going to happen I would order my kids diplomas because the way the law is written in my state (Texas) it is up to the parent to decide when a child is ready to graduate (no age restriction or testing required) & I am pretty sure they would have to grandfather clause all past homeschool graduates, so as long as they have diplomas that are dated before it becomes illegal they would be safe. If for some reason that plan doesn't work we would go off grid.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I'm in Florida also. We are under an umbrella school. What do you not like about it here?

Quoting tuffymama:

We are considering a move to Texas because I don't like the idea of forced reporting (and because I am SICK of Florida). If homeschooling is outlawed nationally before LO is of age, I will disappear.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Quoting rsrangel:

I should probably clarify that I am sick of politics and bogus academia as the only industries of a town, and anything further south than here is "South Florida," and I certainly don't care for that. If I'm going to put up with the sweltering heat, I'd like to do it at a lower COL with more freedom, more privacy, and more elbow room.
maggiandmike
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:29 PM
2 moms liked this
You know if the USA goes down, Texas will annex ok and we will be good. ;)

It won't ever happen in OK for Hsing to be illegal though, since it is provided for in our constitution.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

I feel like if that happened some states would be a lot more likely to secede, in which case we would move to one of those states, hopefully Texas or Alaska or maybe even stay in Oklahoma. Or we would try to move to Canada. If all else failed I would be alright with sending her to our church's private school.

charla_r
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM
This.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Find the best school for him and spend lots of time volunteering there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN