Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

If homeschooling became illegal....

Posted by   + Show Post
...what would you do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Replies (21-30):
charla_r
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:32 PM
This.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Find the best school for him and spend lots of time volunteering there.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 23, 2013 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this

This is from the Texas Homeschool Coalitions website they  are very well versed in the homeschool laws for Texas.

What is required for graduation?

Home schools in Texas are private schools and are not regulated by the state. Therefore, home schools, just as other private schools, set their own graduation standards. There is no minimum age requirement for graduation.

How can my child receive a diploma?

When a student meets the requirements set by his school for graduation, he may receive a diploma. Diplomas may be ordered from the Texas Home School Coalition Association and other sources.

What about testing my child?

Although the state of Texas does not require testing of private school students, many parents give their children annual tests using nationally normed achievement tests. Ask your home school group for assistance.

Quoting specialwingz:

They DO TO have to be tested in Texas.  I know over 100 homeschool grads that had to take a state test before their diploma was official!

Quoting usmom3:

It wouldn't happen over night so as soon as I knew it was going to happen I would order my kids diplomas because the way the law is written in my state (Texas) it is up to the parent to decide when a child is ready to graduate (no age restriction or testing required) & I am pretty sure they would have to grandfather clause all past homeschool graduates, so as long as they have diplomas that are dated before it becomes illegal they would be safe. If for some reason that plan doesn't work we would go off grid.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
If he federal govt made homeschooling illegal, I'm counting on TX standing their ground like they've done on issues before. But, if the state DID cave, I'd probably just have to go underground. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be alone. Lol
jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 7:53 PM
4 moms liked this

We would leave this country asap.  If things ever got to the point homeschooling was illegal our rights  are pretty much gone anyway.  They better take away my right to bare arms first.

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 23, 2013 at 9:56 PM
2 moms liked this

That is a good point. I also have a theory that the whole "red dirt ready" campaign is really our govt preparing for a national breakdown and states seceding. =)

Quoting maggiandmike:

You know if the USA goes down, Texas will annex ok and we will be good. ;)

It won't ever happen in OK for Hsing to be illegal though, since it is provided for in our constitution.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

I feel like if that happened some states would be a lot more likely to secede, in which case we would move to one of those states, hopefully Texas or Alaska or maybe even stay in Oklahoma. Or we would try to move to Canada. If all else failed I would be alright with sending her to our church's private school.

CafeMom Tickers
lucsch
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:06 PM

I hope it does not become illegal. If my daughter had to go to public school, I would probably send her. We live in a very conservative area, and it tends to lag behind other areas in liberal teaching. I would consider getting a job to send her to a private Christian school. My eldest did attend one from K4-12. Our other two sons went for several years, were homeschooled one year, and finished their schooling in the local public school (it is literally across the street from our subdivision!).

Moving away is NOT an option for many reasons. First and foremost, and ironically, my husband is a principal in a public school system. It would be very difficult to move to a different state and get a job. He, at  55, has to protect his retirement options.

So, I probably have milder feelings about this. I LOVE homeschooling--we are finishing up our 6th year--and I would absolutely hate giving that up. However, I did like the schools my sons attended very much. All 3 of my sons scored above 2000 on the SAT, so I feel their educations were more than adequate. One probably wonders why I homeschool....

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting lucsch:

Illegal across the board? Illegal under some circumstances? Is this theoretical or based upon the fears of the common core? I need more information. LOL

LOL. If it becames completely illegal, what would you do.  The common core posts are what caused me to curiously google what countries homeschooling is legal in, which led me to see that in Brazil it's 100% illegal (my husband is from Brazil and occasionally we talk about going there), which led me to ask what people would do if the government made it illegal one day. 

MommyO2-6631
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Is this a possibility or am I missing something?
specialwingz
by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 10:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I am a student advocate at a college in Austin.  And, I have 100 students in my group that were homeschooled.  And, they will attest to the fact that they had to pass a state approved assessment in order for their diplomas to be official.

Do what you like.  I couldn't care less.  But, your child(ren) will pay the price in the long run.

I'm not saying I'm against homeschooling.  I'm all for it.  I would have homeschooled my 4 kids if I could have.  But, I had to put a roof over their heads and food in their bellies.

But, to say there is absolutely NO state testing involved is wrong.

Quoting usmom3:

This is from the Texas Homeschool Coalitions website they  are very well versed in the homeschool laws for Texas.

What is required for graduation?

Home schools in Texas are private schools and are not regulated by the state. Therefore, home schools, just as other private schools, set their own graduation standards. There is no minimum age requirement for graduation.

How can my child receive a diploma?

When a student meets the requirements set by his school for graduation, he may receive a diploma. Diplomas may be ordered from the Texas Home School Coalition Association and other sources.

What about testing my child?

Although the state of Texas does not require testing of private school students, many parents give their children annual tests using nationally normed achievement tests. Ask your home school group for assistance.

Quoting specialwingz:

They DO TO have to be tested in Texas.  I know over 100 homeschool grads that had to take a state test before their diploma was official!

Quoting usmom3:

It wouldn't happen over night so as soon as I knew it was going to happen I would order my kids diplomas because the way the law is written in my state (Texas) it is up to the parent to decide when a child is ready to graduate (no age restriction or testing required) & I am pretty sure they would have to grandfather clause all past homeschool graduates, so as long as they have diplomas that are dated before it becomes illegal they would be safe. If for some reason that plan doesn't work we would go off grid.

CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
We would go off the grid :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM

I guess we'll move to Oklahoma then :)

Seriously, we would try to find the best alternative for them and be as active as absolutely possible. 

Quoting maggiandmike:

It won't ever happen in OK for Hsing to be illegal though, since it is provided for in our constitution.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

I feel like if that happened some states would be a lot more likely to secede, in which case we would move to one of those states, hopefully Texas or Alaska or maybe even stay in Oklahoma. Or we would try to move to Canada. If all else failed I would be alright with sending her to our church's private school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN