Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sewing curriculum? Update

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 24 Replies

Does anyone use a sewing curriculum? My girls want to learn how to sew.  I can do basics, but that's about it.  Last night they made their first pillows and now they're jazzed to do more.  I wonder if anyone has ever used a specific curriculum for this?  I know that CLE has one.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I knew I could count on you. :)  As I mentioned in the replies, my girls have decided they want to learn by making pillowcase dresses for this group:  http://www.littledressesforafrica.org/blog/

They are very excited and started on their first one last night

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Have you seen the Mary Jane's Farm book The Stitching Room?  It's not really a curriculum, but it has helped us come up with projects.  It has some cute ideas for easy projects.  My son has been earning to make button holes and sew buttons, cross stitch, make little bags to hold his favorite toys.  He just uses the book when he needs to know how to make a stitch.  Next he wants to tackle crochet.

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:51 PM
2 moms liked this

I've never used one, but am interested in the responses.  I've been thinking about making home economics one of the courses for DD13 next year.  A full sewing curriculum sounds interesting.  I could stretch it out over two years by mixing it with consumer math, cooking, etc.

Excited about responses! :)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 5:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about curriculum....
Check to see if you have a family owned sewing machine shop near by. They usually do classes, and from experience, that's the best way to learn... Prices vary depending on what you want to learn, and most unfortunatly are for quilting. I know there are some online classes for sewing dresses, including how to make your own patterns... I think you can find some off of Simplicity's webpage. JoAnn fabrics will sometimes have different sewing classes too if they're large enough. Just wathing someone who knows what they're doing really well will help ten fold instead  of just reading it... you can watch youtube videos too. There are TONS out there.
Otherwise, another great way to learn - find a pattern and read through it. Make it out of scrap fabric or muslin first...or anything cheap... and then out of the final product fabric so you can work out glitches and any parts in the instructions that may be confusing.
Aprons are usually pretty easy and directions typically easy to follow...

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I went to one local store and they have classes, but it's more crafts than sewing.  I'll check Joann's though.  I think they'd have fun picking out patterns, so that may be our next trip.  Thanks!

Quoting No_Difference:

I don't know about curriculum....
Check to see if you have a family owned sewing machine shop near by. They usually do classes, and from experience, that's the best way to learn... Prices vary depending on what you want to learn, and most unfortunatly are for quilting. I know there are some online classes for sewing dresses, including how to make your own patterns... I think you can find some off of Simplicity's webpage. JoAnn fabrics will sometimes have different sewing classes too if they're large enough. Just wathing someone who knows what they're doing really well will help ten fold instead  of just reading it... you can watch youtube videos too. There are TONS out there.
Otherwise, another great way to learn - find a pattern and read through it. Make it out of scrap fabric or muslin first...or anything cheap... and then out of the final product fabric so you can work out glitches and any parts in the instructions that may be confusing.
Aprons are usually pretty easy and directions typically easy to follow...

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM

I haven't but, I'll look it up.  Oak Meadow has them doing beading and cross-stitching once they get to 5th grade.  For 2nd it's crochet, but I don't know how to do that LOL. For 3rd it's wood-working but my daughters aren't very interested in that yet.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Have you seen the Mary Jane's Farm book The Stitching Room?  It's not really a curriculum, but it has helped us come up with projects.  It has some cute ideas for easy projects.  My son has been earning to make button holes and sew buttons, cross stitch, make little bags to hold his favorite toys.  He just uses the book when he needs to know how to make a stitch.  Next he wants to tackle crochet.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I just went through the books I have here that have been helpful.
The Complete Photo Guide to Sewing. I've picked up a lot of good tips from there!
And if they're interested in patterns: How to Use, Adapt, and Design Sewing Patterns from store-bought pattrns t drafting your own:  coplete guide to fashion sewing with confidence by Lee Hollahan. It too has been helpful when adapting a pattern to fit me... I need very large sizes for torso length and arms, but then smaller sizes for everything else. I was finall able to make an outfit for myself that actually fit me lol. I haven't drafted my own pattern yet tho...I just haven't had the time, butthe book makes it look easy lol

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I taught myself crochet using Mary Jane's Farm.  I made the boys all hats about 3 years ago and made purses 2 years ago (the purses were easier, wish I had girls who could use them HAHA)  Xavier was learning buttons in 1st and a bit of cross stitch.  He's in second and now has the ability to match the button hole and the button together, so last year we were just making puppets and things that needed buttons but no holes.  And this is the year he wants to learn crochet, so it makes me feel better knowing he's kind of following along with others at his age.

Xave did some woodworking with his Daddy 2-3 years ago (a bird house, a wooden truck, and a tool box).  So that was preK and K.  Levi did a truck and toolbox last year and a Bat house the year before and Q wants to make something this year but doesn't know what.  Are they using power tools?  I wouldn't do that till later, but my boys do it all with hand tools.

Quoting Pukalani79:

I haven't but, I'll look it up.  Oak Meadow has them doing beading and cross-stitching once they get to 5th grade.  For 2nd it's crochet, but I don't know how to do that LOL. For 3rd it's wood-working but my daughters aren't very interested in that yet.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

oredeb
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

have you checked with your homeschool group? i know in grants  pass we had a mom who offered to teach a sewing class to a group of kids, for a not very expensive price, we let her use some of our machines, etc

heres the joannes  page, it look fun but expensive!~ http://www.joann.com/kidsstudio/

how bout here  http://www.kids-sewing-projects.com/kids-sewing-projects.html

ideas   http://pinterest.com/samuserensemble/sewing-for-kids/

http://kidssewing.org/

started.

Pampered Pet Patterns

Beach Towel Bag

Apron Pattern

Fleece Car Organizer

Fast Fleece Pillow

Tote Bag

Pocket Purse

Bean Bags

Here are some free online sewing lessons for kids I found:

Free Sewing Lessons – Make a doll quilt

Sewing Lessons for Teens

Free online sewing lesson

Here are a some books that look good:

Sewing Teacher’s Resources

Stitches and Pins – A Beginning Sewing book for Girls

Capture the Sewing Bug – 25 Fun and Simple Sewing Projects

Stitches and Pins: A Beginning Sewing Book For Girls

E-Book Boys Can Sew Too!

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I would just take them to the craft store let them pick out some simple paterns & cloth & let them have at it. The best way to learn is to do, if they come across a problem YouTube has how to videos that can help them.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Pinterest has lots.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)