Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Do you keep your child at one grade level for everything or differentiate depending on his/ her level? Also do you stay on the grade all year or move up when your child is ready even if it's the middle of the year?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:23 PM
1 mom liked this
We don't use grade levels. I let them go at their own pace which is always ahead of their grade.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
wunderwifey
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM
What did you use to test him? I've seen a test for some of the big boxed curriculums but no general tests to get a general idea for any curriculum I choose.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

This is my first year homeschooling, but I have quickly learned that grade levels are man-made tools used to compare children. It can be used as a source of competition. I did some review with my son when we first started our home academy. He is 10. He is at a 3rd "grade level" for math and an 8th "grade level" for reading comprehension. He is also "advanced" in science. I love that I am able to follow is lead without frustating him or myself. We advance each day. I am not too concerne with him being "behind" in math. Everyday he is learning something new and stregnthen his skills in all subjects. This is all that matters in our eyes.

QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 5:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting wunderwifey:

What did you use to test him? I've seen a test for some of the big boxed curriculums but no general tests to get a general idea for any curriculum I choose.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

This is my first year homeschooling, but I have quickly learned that grade levels are man-made tools used to compare children. It can be used as a source of competition. I did some review with my son when we first started our home academy. He is 10. He is at a 3rd "grade level" for math and an 8th "grade level" for reading comprehension. He is also "advanced" in science. I love that I am able to follow is lead without frustating him or myself. We advance each day. I am not too concerne with him being "behind" in math. Everyday he is learning something new and stregnthen his skills in all subjects. This is all that matters in our eyes.

I used Khan Academy.org. We reviewed all math from number lines to where he is now multiplication and division. I also did MindSprinting.com recently which confrmed his 3rd grade math level and 8th grade reading level. They are both free!

wunderwifey
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Awesome! Thank you!

Quoting QueenCreole313:

Quoting wunderwifey:

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I used Khan Academy.org. We reviewed all math from number lines to where he is now multiplication and division. I also did MindSprinting.com recently which confrmed his 3rd grade math level and 8th grade reading level. They are both free!

Jody59
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Especially  with math -they went at their own pace. This meant, with 5 kids, there was a few time 2 were in the same book (Saxon) and our youngest passed the next child up and was ahead of him . 

Jody     Check Out The Writing Course

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:17 PM

If you feel that teaching to grade level works for you, then that is what you should do. If you feel that your child ecells in an area or two and find that they need to move on, then that is what you should do. I teach according to ability. For instance, I just grade-level tested my just turned 7 yr old son and we found that he is third to fifth grade level math and first grade reading and spelling. So, I teach according to his abilities. Or maybe I should say I teach according to his comprehension level. If he can comprehend it and wants to learn it, I will teach it. Whatever "it" is.  :)

Do what is best for your child.  No matter what it appears like to other people on the outside looking in. They are not with you on a day to day basis, so would have no idea of what the situation really is, at the moment. 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't use grade levels or anything like that to distinguish what level we are learning at.

maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM

My kids are in 6th and 7th grade based on the ages that they are and when they would have qualified to start K in public school. Next year they'll be in 7 & 8, etc.

The work they do on a daily basis is based on their skill level. My 6th grader is above grade level in reading and math, but below grade level in writing, for example. 

For math and most language arts they work at their level. They move up to the next level when they are ready.  Science and Social studies we do altogether, same topics, just because that is easier.

Kat0038
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:14 AM

We differentiate. My first grader excels in science and math but struggles with the language arts. 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM
We say what grade they are in because, socially, I think they need to know. It may not be 'right,' but pretty much all adults ask children, 'What grade are you in?' (Unless they are HSing parents!) I overheard a friend's homeschooled child tell an adult he's in grade six; but he's six years old. He had no idea what grade meant. I think for most people it's a way of saying, how old are you? Also I use it with my own children to explain why the 1st grader has more work than the kinder , and the 4th grader most of anyone. :)

We do go st their pace. My 4th grader reads, writes, etc at middle school level, but does math at 2nd semester 3rd grade level. Which I think is fine. My philosophy is, as long as they are improving, the pace doesn't matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)