Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you set up your school room?

How do you organize everything?

What are some things that you see as "must haves" for your homeschooling?

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
lindabell786
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:37 AM

I think a definite "must have" would be kids wallpaper. I found that when my son was younger, he hated the drab look of our "school room," and associated it with boring work. I used funky designs to distinguish the room from the rest of the house and make it a friendly work environment. I personally like Brewster Home Fashions. They have some great designs and also carry some fun wall murals, in case you don't want to do the whole room. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:39 AM
We have a den/office/school room...lol

My desk and desktop computer are in there, desks for the younger two kids, DD's keyboard, all our supplies, etc. The first few years we were mostly in there. The boys came from public school and wouldn't concentrate just anywhere. They were programmed to work at desks.

As we have continued to homeschool we have become a lot more relaxed and spread out. They work either in the den or living/dining room. It is one open great room. My oldest worked in his room a lot last year but his grades started slipping so he lost the priviledge. He is in high school now so it matters more.

BIGGEST MUST HAVES for us....
Color coordinated plastic crates. They each have a color and store their current materials in them. Books, project supplies, etc. Makes it nice not only so they can find their stuff but we sometimes pack up and spend a few days with my parents and they just grab their crate and are ready to go.

Pencil boxes...the little plastic ones you get for 99c at back to school time. We have one for all our small items. Pens, pencils, dry erase, glue sticks, scissors, colored pencils, markers, etc. They are marked with sharpie on both ends for fast finding and all sit on one shelf. OMG! Lifesaver! We used to dig and hunt for stuff...not anymore!

One is labeled "to go box" it has whatever we need to school anywhere for a day. 6 pencils, a sharpie, pens (blue, black, red, purple), pencil sharpener, erasers, roll of tape, glue stick, 6in ruler, scissors,small set of colored pencils. Again, life saver! If I want to do school in the car going to a field trip (minimum 1 1/2 hr drive into town) we just grab and go!
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:44 AM
We have a dry erase board, calendar, my big girls have a desk, and my little kids have tables. We use them about 50% of the time. Bookshelves are a must! Oh and we have a crate that I carry when we are on the go.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:49 AM
We have a timeline along one wall, and then large maps and the dry erase in the hallway. We.used to have a calendar but the kids are older and were bored with it. It was a hassle so I gave to to another family with little kids.

I had made stickups for every holiday, birthdays, special events and would put them up each month. The kids never bothere looking at them.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I clearly need my eyes checked.  Instead of kits I read KILTS, and I was wondering what you were doing with those in a homeschooling situation.  :)

Is this room also where you and your husband sleep?  :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

We use our master bedroom as a school room, since it's the largest room aside from living room/kitchen, etc.

We have lots of shelves (which house books, kits, manipulatives, play doh, puzzles, binders, art supplies), a desk with computer, printer/scanner, a dining table with 4 chairs (I have 3 children), and a large easel. On the walls we have a world map, a USA map, and various kids' projects.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a bookshelf in the living room with all of our books (textbooks and loads of extra ones too).  We have a tri-level, and do most of our school downstairs where we have two 4' folding tables (one for each student) to give plenty of room for regular work, plus coloring, games, paint, clay, etc.  We also work upstairs, outside, anywhere the wind takes us. :)

Must haves: a 3' freestanding chalkboard that cost $10.  We set it on the floor, and practice math, handwriting, play games like hangman, etc.  We also have two smaller (1') whiteboards and those are super handy for solving math problems & other things too.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:43 AM
1 mom liked this
Totally forgot about out individual mqgnetic white boards! We use them for All.About spellimg tiles, math, notes back n forth, ALL the time. We also have individual non-magnetic ones (before AAS) that are plain on one side and lined on the other that were awesome for beginning writers.
kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:37 AM

I have an area I call the schoolroom, but it is mostly for storing all of our stuff and doing art projects.  He hardly ever does school there.  Bookshelves are a must, in fact I still need more of them.  He has a desk in his room he uses occasionally.  Mostly he just works wherever he plops his butt down though.  He isn't picky.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You don't use kilts in your school? LOL :)

No, we sleep in the 'office' downstairs. It's a little awkward being just off the living room, but we only use our bedroom at night. It seemed silly to take the great big room as ours and then hardly ever use it.

Quoting hwblyf:

I clearly need my eyes checked.  Instead of kits I read KILTS, and I was wondering what you were doing with those in a homeschooling situation.  :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

We use our master bedroom as a school room, since it's the largest room aside from living room/kitchen, etc.

We have lots of shelves (which house books, kits, manipulatives, play doh, puzzles, binders, art supplies), a desk with computer, printer/scanner, a dining table with 4 chairs (I have 3 children), and a large easel. On the walls we have a world map, a USA map, and various kids' projects.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Of course I do.  They're just not sitting on the shelf because they're so often in use.  :)

Yeah, our room is GIGANTIC.  And while I appreciate the space to spread out, it shorts the rest of the upstairs.  We could have a whole other room!

Quoting hipmomto3:

You don't use kilts in your school? LOL :)

No, we sleep in the 'office' downstairs. It's a little awkward being just off the living room, but we only use our bedroom at night. It seemed silly to take the great big room as ours and then hardly ever use it.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting hipmomto3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)