Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cle or bju? (Piog)

Posted by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

Hi guys:) I am looking for an all inclusive curriculum for my 1st grade dd for next school year.We are currently using A beka but I believe that it is just moving too fast for her. I have heard that Christian light and bju have a similar scope and sequence as A beka but that they move at a more normal pace. Do any of you guys have any experience with either of these? Pros? Cons? Any input is appreciated.

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't used either but here is a bump!

calimom1123
by Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Ive used all 3. Dd started all abeka. We used cle for 1st grade and it was actually more advanced than abeka. When she went back to abeka she was a whole grade level ahead. This year for 4th she did bju. I really liked the calm thorough pace of bju. It seemed like it covered a wider variety of subjects. Cle was good but the lessons were long each day and took dd a long time to complete. I prefer bju if I have to pick one. The downfall is the price. Bju was about a grade level behind abeka for 4th grade but Im not sure about earlier grades. My dd just ended up doing bju 5 for 4th grade and did great.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Well, I can't do a complete comparison, since I've never used any of BJU; but I have used both aBeka and CLE math. I do know that CLE is every bit as advanced as aBeka for that subject. I prefer CLE.

I have not used CLE for history or science, but I have looked at a textbook for history. I think I prefer aBeka for that. It is also hard to beat aBeka for Health. I still buy that to use with our HOD curriculum. I am not a textbook fan, for most subjects. CLE is all workbooks or a combination of workbooks and textbooks. I think that could be tedious. aBeka has alot more color to it all around.

I prefer HOD (Heart of Dakota), myself.

BramblePatch
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:13 AM
BJU is rewriting to accomidate CC. I was going to use their math but now refuse. I like the looks of CLE, but have not used it. If I had to use an all-in-one, I would go with HOD or My Fathers World. But alll-in-ones do not work for us.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:45 AM

CLE was good, but a lot of their stories, etc related to farm life/work and it was hard for my kids to relate to.  ACE is very similiar, but easier for my kids to relate to.  Price wise, CLE is hard to beat.

aldmom0408
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Quoting BramblePatch:

BJU is rewriting to accomidate CC. I was going to use their math but now refuse. I like the looks of CLE, but have not used it. If I had to use an all-in-one, I would go with HOD or My Fathers World. But alll-in-ones do not work for us.

CC? Is that classical conversations? If so, I have heard of that but haven't done any research. What do you feel is wrong with it?
aldmom0408
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Quoting lucsch:

Well, I can't do a complete comparison, since I've never used any of BJU; but I have used both aBeka and CLE math. I do know that CLE is every bit as advanced as aBeka for that subject. I prefer CLE.

I have not used CLE for history or science, but I have looked at a textbook for history. I think I prefer aBeka for that. It is also hard to beat aBeka for Health. I still buy that to use with our HOD curriculum. I am not a textbook fan, for most subjects. CLE is all workbooks or a combination of workbooks and textbooks. I think that could be tedious. aBeka has alot more color to it all around.

I prefer HOD (Heart of Dakota), myself.

What is it about hod that you love? I have used their writing program for my older child and while I believed it to be a good program, it just wasn't what we were looking for... I have not looked at the rest of the curriculum.
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Oooo I'm interested too. 

My son does well and we use the dvd's but DANG it's fast. The math is killing him. I can' do the math as fast as these kids do. embarrassed mini

LOL! I just looked at what is supposed to be an 'embarassed' mini sweetpea... looks more like she's stifling a fart. Hahhaha. sorry.

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM

are you talking about christian light education?? or christian liberty education?

if its christian light

ive usd bits and pieces of both, and i like bju better! maybe its the workbooks that put us off! isnt the cle antibaptism(farms, etc) , but bju was more relaxing easy flow for the kds,

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:29 AM

what about khan academy for math?? its on line videos?

laughing at your sweetpea!!!

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Oooo I'm interested too. 

My son does well and we use the dvd's but DANG it's fast. The math is killing him. I can' do the math as fast as these kids do. embarrassed mini

LOL! I just looked at what is supposed to be an 'embarassed' mini sweetpea... looks more like she's stifling a fart. Hahhaha. sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)