Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi guys:) I am looking for an all inclusive curriculum for my 1st grade dd for next school year.We are currently using A beka but I believe that it is just moving too fast for her. I have heard that Christian light and bju have a similar scope and sequence as A beka but that they move at a more normal pace. Do any of you guys have any experience with either of these? Pros? Cons? Any input is appreciated.

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Replies (11-18):
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Quoting oredeb:

what about khan academy for math?? its on line videos?

laughing at your sweetpea!!!

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Oooo I'm interested too. 

My son does well and we use the dvd's but DANG it's fast. The math is killing him. I can' do the math as fast as these kids do. embarrassed mini

LOL! I just looked at what is supposed to be an 'embarassed' mini sweetpea... looks more like she's stifling a fart. Hahhaha. sorry.

I'm on satellite. The download on a daily basis would be horrid on us. Esp. if it's live. Right now I have my dh teaching him in the evenings. It's going MUCH better. :) I'm one of those who can DO a thing but plays the devil to TEACH someone else how. I'd love to make my own but really struggle to convey to him the work.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Quoting aldmom0408:

Quoting BramblePatch:

BJU is rewriting to accomidate CC. I was going to use their math but now refuse. I like the looks of CLE, but have not used it. If I had to use an all-in-one, I would go with HOD or My Fathers World. But alll-in-ones do not work for us.

CC? Is that classical conversations? If so, I have heard of that but haven't done any research. What do you feel is wrong with it?

CC is the abreviation for the Common Core Standards being implemented in the publis schools.

I've never used either of the curricula, but here's a bump!

lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Do you mean the reading program, Drawn into the Heart of Reading? Many who use HOD's main curriculum have issues using that and drop it. We still use it here. The problem comes in when the parent can't know if the answers are right if she hasn't read the book. There are no scripted answers.

Writing is integrated into the main curriculum. She uses a lot of other publishers like IEW, EIW, Igniting your Writing, Write with the Best...

I like HOD for many reasons.

It is Charlotte Mason based but with some tweaks to make it more reasonable for today's times (and for testing purposes  for those who have to do it). For instance, she incorporates R&S into the plans for grammar and writing but has you do a good bit of it orally with the child.

My daughter loves to read, so she loves reading all those living books. I like them because I think it makes better long-term connections. Oral  and written narrations help her to better process and retain the information, while also developing communication skills. I like that the information isn't spoon-fed into the child. Rather, it teaches how to process the information.

I love how the history and Bible and sometimes even science are integrated into a theme. For instance, this last level we completed taught Godly character traits---34 of them--tying each into the Bible study and to the people whose biographies we studied that unit.

Most importantly, it is very centered around Christ. Bible is not just a subject. Every subject includes discussions that lead back to God.

When I homeschooled my boys many years ago, I bought 2 grade levels of aBeka. Although some of the texts were good, over all I felt like it was "school at home" and full of worksheets, tests, quizzes and grading. That was a horrid introduction to homeschooling for us--we gave it up after that year--and I knew it didn't have to be like that. I knew I could not make that work long-term. So, I picked a style of curriculum (I started with Sonlight) that I thought I would enjoy--one that let me interact more with my daughter and one that makes her think. When I found HOD, I knew I found one that we could use through high school.

The HOD website (http://www.heartofdakota.com) can be a little confusing, especially when it comes to ordering. I suggest anyone interested in it should send off for the catalog instead of trying to navigate the website. The website is great if you know how HOD is organized.

I have to also mention that so far, I have not ordered anything from HOD. I have found everything used. Since most of it is non-consumable, resale allows you to buy-sell-resell and use the curriculum for very little. Also, some people are able to get some or most of the books from the library.

Oh, and she is writing the curriculum still. This fall she will release the first high school guide. On the forum on her website, she has "sneak peeks" at that. It looks outstanding!

I know I sound like a commercial for HOD. LOL After using it for 3 years, I just get more and more excited about it!

Quoting aldmom0408:

Quoting lucsch:

Well, I can't do a complete comparison, since I've never used any of BJU; but I have used both aBeka and CLE math. I do know that CLE is every bit as advanced as aBeka for that subject. I prefer CLE.

I have not used CLE for history or science, but I have looked at a textbook for history. I think I prefer aBeka for that. It is also hard to beat aBeka for Health. I still buy that to use with our HOD curriculum. I am not a textbook fan, for most subjects. CLE is all workbooks or a combination of workbooks and textbooks. I think that could be tedious. aBeka has alot more color to it all around.

I prefer HOD (Heart of Dakota), myself.

What is it about hod that you love? I have used their writing program for my older child and while I believed it to be a good program, it just wasn't what we were looking for... I have not looked at the rest of the curriculum.

aldmom0408
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well duh! I feel silly now:) I am on curricula overload...
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting aldmom0408:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Well duh! I feel silly now:) I am on curricula overload...

LOL!  I've been there!

@_@

aldmom0408
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Quoting lucsch:

I am definately sold on looking further into hod. I'm going to order their catalog now. Thanks so much for the info. It is so helpful to hear why a curriculum works or doesn't work for a family. I have been home schoolng for 6 years now but this is only my second year home schooling both of my children. I enjoyed it until I starting feeling torn between the 2. I am trying to find the perfect curriculum for each of my children so that maybe I won't be so overwhelmed...
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:31 PM

BUMP!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:02 PM

We are using bju English and reading this year for 4th grade.   We like both and will be using the bju science and history as well as English and reading next year for 5th grade.   I have not used the other publishers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN