Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Summer break - do you take one? how long?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you take a break from school for summer? If so, how long? Or if not, do you lighten the load a little, or just trudge right through?

I'm trying to decide what to do. I think we all NEED a nice break - days to just sleep in, go swimming a lot, play outside. But I don't want to take it too long, because they lose skills. I'm conflicted. :)

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (21-27):
bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

We will take a summer break for June and July.  We will do some light work to keep our skills expecially in math.

nmarshall
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

My family has been homeschooling for 20 years. I homeschool my 11 year old.  We always took some kind of summer break but we always kept up with Math.  I feel that some kind of math is important to keep going on.  When I was a homeschoolee, we either did a lesson of math in the morning when we woke up or did some kind of math acitivty.  I have my son who is in 6th grade continue with math through breaks and summers because he easily forgets formulas.  As far as the duration of summer, it really depends on how the year went.  How long did you take for Winter break and Spring break?  Typically we will take a break from June 15th or so through the Monday after Labor Day as long as we didn't take extra time throughout the year for a vacation or break.  

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM

We will hit our 180 days in mid-May. So if we keep going past that, I'm "counting it" for next school year. :)

I still don't know what to do. I am re-evaluating everything right now and changing things up, so for this week we are doing just ONE subject per day. Maybe this is how we'll do summer. Maybe the whole month of June totally/completely OFF - just fun, lazy days. Then July 1 start doing 1 subject right after breakfast. July and August are so hot here that all we want to do is go to the pool, but it doesn't open until 11:00, so I think it'd work.

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM
We take one week off for vacation and we do light work the rest of the summer!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:33 PM

we take a summer break from may -sept every year, we love our summers!

earthy_dragon
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM

I am still trying to figure this out.  I have one son that leaves for the summer to visit his dad, and one that stays home.  I think we will continue through the year - but will probably lighten the load along the way.  With at least two weeks off one in June and one in July.  Really depends on what is going on.  

almondpigeon
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM

we have to log in so many days per school year....as soon as our 180 days is up, we're finished until august.  last year, i think we ended up with a 9 week break & the kids were bored out of their minds by the end of it.  this school year, we've had to take more days off because i had a baby at the end of november.  we had a month long break after that & to accommodate for christmas.  we'll be finished with our year at the end of june.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)