Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Summer break - do you take one? how long?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you take a break from school for summer? If so, how long? Or if not, do you lighten the load a little, or just trudge right through?

I'm trying to decide what to do. I think we all NEED a nice break - days to just sleep in, go swimming a lot, play outside. But I don't want to take it too long, because they lose skills. I'm conflicted. :)

by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:44 PM

We will be taking a month.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:21 PM

We are going to "finish" in mid July with my youngest.  The oldest will be done in early July.  We are going to not do much of anything for several weeks and resume learning (child led or unschooling) the first week of September.  We will resume our curric in January.  We are going to do January as our start date and work until Summer and take a short break and then finish before the holidays.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:23 PM
We started school all year but this week we on break then start in April week off break then June the whoole month off start in July then a week off August a week off then in September a week off then November a week off
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:29 PM

My boys are in 9th grade and will finish everything around the end of May.  We will take all of June and 1/2 of July off (for baseball). 

My daughter will finish first of June.  We will take off 2 or 3 weeks and then start back.  She tends to have to take off more during the school year if she is sick or I am sick since she is younger (kindergarten).  We will probably school 3 days a week because Mondays and Fridays are usually just too hard for us to conentrate since that is when I do a lot of my errands. 

Mommyfish831
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM

I only took my kids out of public school 3weeks ago so we are on a break right now.  I have my nephew 3 days a week and it gets crazy, then things settle down Friday to Monday then he's back it's fighting and screaming and very crazy, so he will be with a new babysitter in a few months and preschool in the fall so we are just going to wait until then when we can get into a routine and get things settled down.  My kids are 6,4, and 2 so I am not feeling super rushed to jump right in.  And when we do finally get into the swing of things summer will definitely be for school and winter will have more breaks since my husband works construction and he has long days in the summer with very little time off but in the winter he has lots of short days and 3-4 day weekends.  I think we will just plan on year round and only do breaks as needed, play it by ear I guess lol.  

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:51 PM

We unschool so we make everything part of our learning we never truly have a break from it!

Jody59
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:09 PM

We have always schooled through summer. Start at 7:30 and finish around 12:30. Break for church or scout camp. Break for family vacation. Two weeks of for Christmas and a week off spring break.

Jody    Check out The Writing Course

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:24 PM

YES!  We tried doing the year-round thing and it just wasn't for us.  In summer they still do plenty of learning, just no seat work.  We need the break and are planning all kinds of fun things to do.  My oldest who is not homeschooled will be out May 29th.  I will probably go a few weeks longer with my homeschooled son.  Then we plan on starting back August 12th.  So we will have a nice looooong "break", but in reality plenty of learning will still take place.  :) 

lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 9:08 PM

We roughly follow my dh's public school schedule. What I'd like to do is take more time off in November/December and less in the summer, just the month of July. However, she isn't too happy about my idea. LOL

We will no longer follow a "new curriculum every fall" regimen. We will take breaks and finish as we finish, but grade level materials will no longer follow the traditional schedule (she is ahead).

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:20 AM

We do about 2-3 days per week during the summer.  We pick something hands on and build it around that.  This summer we are studying botany and taking a road trip from VA to Montana.  I prefer taking a long break in the spring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)