Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum in a box or make your own?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you use, curriculum in a box or compile your own?

Options:

Curriculum in a box

All your own

Unschool

Combination

None of the above

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

Edit: I have edited the poll to include Combination and None of the above.

What do you do? This has been my first year of homeschooling and I decided last year to get a curriculum in a box, but I have to admit that I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Part of the reason I wanted to homeschool was to have the flexibility of teaching to the strengths of my children, and not necessarily what was coming up next in the lesson plan. DS1 LOVES math and we have already started working on multiplication with him. He is 6.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
WantedNameTaken
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

We started with a box and quickly decided to get rid of it, so I make my own these days.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I didn't vote because I need an option for "combination" :)

We use Sonlight but not EVERY book in the core. But we use their instructor's guide, readers, and most of it. But for math, language, etc - we do a piece of this, a bit of that. We put it all together when we find what works best for each kid.

I've found that the less we buy, the better! 

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow! You know, if you have children that are advanced then you may want to make your own.  It'd be a lot easier on your children.

I'm a fan of moving forward if you're ready but hold back if you're not. :)

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I am not elementary certified so it's easier for me to buy from K12 for some subjects. I can manage social studies, history, art, and phys ed though. When she gets older there are some other subjects I can add in. I am amazing at making interesting social studies activities and such...being I am 7-12 Social Studies certified lol

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

We are using many different pieces to make our curriculum next year.  It will be interesting.

lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I take a curriculum in a box and make it my own, adding and changing things that don't work or that aren't included.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM

we are in K and we mixed it up...for 1st we are going with mostly a boxed set tho

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:52 PM

We unschool, so what ever the kids want to learn in what ever way they want to learn it. That means if they want to use a curriculum then that's what we do & if they don't want to use it anymore then we stop & do something different.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM
None of those options fit. I choose curriculum for each subject individually from different sources and at different levels. For science this coming year I'm making my own. It isn't all or nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I make my own curriculum AND use an old curriculum book or two, if that is what is going to help get a point across or some comprehension that I am unable to help facilitate for them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)