Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum in a box or make your own?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you use, curriculum in a box or compile your own?

Options:

Curriculum in a box

All your own

Unschool

Combination

None of the above

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

Edit: I have edited the poll to include Combination and None of the above.

What do you do? This has been my first year of homeschooling and I decided last year to get a curriculum in a box, but I have to admit that I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Part of the reason I wanted to homeschool was to have the flexibility of teaching to the strengths of my children, and not necessarily what was coming up next in the lesson plan. DS1 LOVES math and we have already started working on multiplication with him. He is 6.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (21-30):
lifesadream83
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I choose "in a box" but technically its several boxes LOL

I use a hodge podge of things and different stuff in the summer too!

t1gger143
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I don't homeschool, but as a teacher I do both. I have to use the curriculum provided, but I use tons of other stuff too englishforeveryone is my favorite website for older kids.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Walnutgrovefarm
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:58 PM

When we first started hs'ing I purchased box curriculum worked for a few years until I got better at this. Now we purchase from different publishers. This makes it so much more interesting for my ds.

letstalk747
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM

make my own

oahoah
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM

We do a lot of unschooling but we have curriculum to use as well. When I feel like we haven't been doing enough for school I will check our curriculum (MFW & Konos, mainly).

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:54 AM
We have a basic currculum we use, but its so.flexible that u get to add what i like and be creative as i choose.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeweldragons
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:25 AM

Piece together my own from different sources/make my own Preschool-Kindergarten weekly lessons.

Kat0038
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:10 AM

I bought cirriculum in a box last year and didn't care for it at all. We all found it boring and dull. So we combined the box and used our own. 

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:27 AM

my situation is unique! so my first year hs'ing will be next and since i am taking on all 3 school age kiddos at once the price of the in the box kind prohibits us from using them. i guess it's good though because i do hear a lot of complaints on many different things about them. My 9 year olds current teacher has pointed me to an all you can eat buffet of resources online that are available free and that's going to be a lot of what i use. that really makes me happy because the money i would have spent on all that stuff can now go to better equipment, field trips, and such.

IntlMom12
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Would you mind sharing this "buffet?"

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

my situation is unique! so my first year hs'ing will be next and since i am taking on all 3 school age kiddos at once the price of the in the box kind prohibits us from using them. i guess it's good though because i do hear a lot of complaints on many different things about them. My 9 year olds current teacher has pointed me to an all you can eat buffet of resources online that are available free and that's going to be a lot of what i use. that really makes me happy because the money i would have spent on all that stuff can now go to better equipment, field trips, and such.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)