Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Curriculum in a box or make your own?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you use, curriculum in a box or compile your own?

Options:

Curriculum in a box

All your own

Unschool

Combination

None of the above

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 36

View Results

Edit: I have edited the poll to include Combination and None of the above.

What do you do? This has been my first year of homeschooling and I decided last year to get a curriculum in a box, but I have to admit that I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. Part of the reason I wanted to homeschool was to have the flexibility of teaching to the strengths of my children, and not necessarily what was coming up next in the lesson plan. DS1 LOVES math and we have already started working on multiplication with him. He is 6.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (31-38):
bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:13 AM

We started out using a boxed curriculum but now we use a combination of publishers.

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

ERG! Sorry I can't get my copy/paste to work. I started a thread titled FREE resources for home schooling moms - PLEASE ADD YOURS!!!

Trying to include a link but...won't...work...!!!

:(

Quoting IntlMom12:

Would you mind sharing this "buffet?"

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

my situation is unique! so my first year hs'ing will be next and since i am taking on all 3 school age kiddos at once the price of the in the box kind prohibits us from using them. i guess it's good though because i do hear a lot of complaints on many different things about them. My 9 year olds current teacher has pointed me to an all you can eat buffet of resources online that are available free and that's going to be a lot of what i use. that really makes me happy because the money i would have spent on all that stuff can now go to better equipment, field trips, and such.

nmarshall
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

My family has been homeschooling for 20 years.  The first year we started homeschooling, we did order an organized curriculum through a Catholic school.  After that we started creating our own according to what our learning skills were.  I am 33 and second oldest of 7 children.  We started homeschooling my Freshman year of high school and my younger brother was going into 6th grade.  At that point I see how it was best to order an organized curriculum to kind of get the hang of everything and see where we excelled and where we needed improvement.  After that we always we always created our own.  The youngest in my family is now a freshman in high school.  I homeschool my 11 year old and plan to homeschool my other children who are 2 and 1.  Go homeschoolers!

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:51 PM
I make my own, but use a few workbooks also!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romacox:

None of those questions apply to me. Like No_difference above,  I am eclectic....create a lot of my own....use some curriculum like games and ones created by home school families....real life experiences.....unschooling...ext.

This is me pretty much. 

jigsaw ribbon

EnduringWon
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM

Hmmm...

We do Classical Conversations and while not a curriculum in a box, we do buy certain things to go with the cycle we are in currently.

However, additionally we buy Mystery of History both the textbook and CDs, Sassafrass Science with the experiment supplies, art supplies and additional books and educational games to supplement. This year (our daughter is finishing up third grade) we used Horizons math, First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind and IEW for Writing. In fourth grade next year we will switch to Saxon math and she will have mulitple grammar and writing books for Essentials.

almondpigeon
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:43 AM

we order the box from timberdoodle, but i supplement a lot.  i spend a lot of time on the internet finding ideas & work sheets to go along with whatever she's doing.  i create my own lesson plans too. i really get in to it & have a lot of fun with planning.

Christie1952
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Unschooling worked for us. 3 awesome adults now. 2Doctors and 1 self employeed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)