Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Children: Work & Homeschooling

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 10 Replies

So, I've always wanted my son to work from an early age. I started working when I was 14 (the minimum age in my state). It has taught me so much about myself and strengthened many of my skills. 

When would you like your child to work? 

Do you think homeschooling makes it easier for children to work part-time? 

Progressive, Single, Homeschooling, Working Mother to One Twice-Exceptional Kid all done with the Motto of Faith, Family & Fun!

love you sign

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommytobooger
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I agree with you. Not like a full day of work, but to earn his own money would be great lifeskills. I always wanted my own cafe or small restaurant, I hope to have someday soon and would even have him do things at his age now. However my son loves to work or help with chores. Lol. Let's hope that stays with him.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jeweldragons
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I guess that depends on your state or county laws as to when they can legally work.  I started working at 14 babysitting my cousins but I don't count that.   I would say at 15 they can get a job.

I think it would be easier for kids to work if they are homeschooling since homeschoolers can get everything done in 2 hours.  After chores are completed of course then work follows. 

oredeb
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

my kids had jobs when they were 12, babysitting, selling bunnies and eggs, cleaning houses, mowing and rotatilling yards, making jewelry, making quilts, making baked goods,  as they got older14-15, they did catoring, making and selling their music cds, making heresy kiss bouqets, 16 secretary work, maintaining our work vans, apprentise carpenter, gym teacher, bike repair work, building trellis's,

yes i think hsing makes it easier for kids to work, it did mine

OneToughMami
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I think it does. My SIL is homeschooled and she finds making her schedule at work easier. We have some child laws in PA so she can't work during the day, but she is much more rested than most workers.

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM

It is a bit different for us, our oldest has Autism & his maturity level is that of about a 12y/o even though he is almost 20. He has a lot of problems with crowds & social situations, he has a hard time doing his chores at home & has anxiety over anything new. So we have had him help family & friends with jobs that give him experience in a controlled environment while we try to find him a volunteer position that will help him adjust to a working situation with out the fear & pressure of being fired. He has no interest in collage & is unsure of what he would like to do with his life because it is hard for him to think of the future with out anxiety.

We will have to see about the other two as they grow if they are mature enough to handle one they can get a job at what ever age that is.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
I don't think my oldest is mature enough emotionally for a job yet. She is 17 but not emotionally ready in my opinion. I k ow this sounds nuts but you would have to meet her to understand.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM

My older kids have been doing this just like we did when we were kids. They have been making their own money for the last 3 years or so. Snow shoveling, lawn mowing, helping the older folks if they need a helping hand around their home. Also, my oldest holds down a full time job and would rather work 12 to ?, than to sit at home wondering what to do for the day. :) 

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:47 AM

My daughter begged for a job when she was 16. We let her but it was a terrible idea. Since she is homeschooled the owner of the restaurant assumed he could just call her in any time he wanted. Of course that was not allowed. I finally asked her to quit working because she was missing out on so much. I think it is a bad idea in general for the kids to be working. I can give them spending money and they need to focus on their studies.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I gues just time management wise, it would be easier. My 11 y/o is already planning on starting a babysitting business, so it will be good he can be available during the day.

earthy_dragon
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM
I think that is a great idea, my son is only 12 and the min. age to work in our state is 16. But if he shows me that he is mature enough to handle it, which I am sure he will by then. Then I would so let him have a part time job as long as he keeps up the work load with his studies here at home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN