Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When will your kids graduate?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
  • 27 Replies

Poll

Question: When will you graduate them?

Options:

younger

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

So, I've been a bit forwrd thinking lately. 

When do you plan on graduating your child? 

Age 18, 17, 16?

During high school will you do a dual enrollment with a local college? 

Thoughts please! 

Progressive, Single, Homeschooling, Working Mother to One Twice-Exceptional Kid all done with the Motto of Faith, Family & Fun!

love you sign

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the kid. I've got one that has considered doubling up to graduate early, at 16. But then she's not sure if she would be ready (emotionally, mentally) for college at that age, so she may just take her time. my youngest is definately not college material, and has already started an apprenticeship at dh's shop so if he finishes early, it will be so he can go straight to full time work. But I would encourage them to graduate at 17 or 18, just because growing up too fast is never good for anyone.

oredeb
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:34 AM

my kids all graduated at 18 in our homeschool already, the ones im teaching now will graduate at 17 or 18,

and no dual enrollment during high school

RockEducation
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:54 AM

I agree with Leissa about growing up too fast. DD will graduate when she is 18. We don't have a local college.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I dont know it depends on my kids.  My kids birthdays except for one is a late birthday.  My oldest is going to be doing 3rd grade work next year for her 2nd grade year.  I do not know if that will work or if we need to move her ahead in any other areas or how this will work.  19 is what year she would graduate in public school

My 2nd dd is 6 and in k because of her birthday and would be 19 if she graduates from public school.  She wants to go back next year and I will probably let her. 

My ds is 4 and will not start kindergarten till 2014/15 school year due to a Feb. birthday with public school but we are going to work on kindergarten work next year.  I do not know but I think he may be a little slow.  I can not tell for sure because all his sisters were further ahead of him at every mile  stone but from talking to others he may be average and I may be crazy.

My dd2 is my April child and will start at 5 so she would graduate at 18.  I do not know how we are schooling her yet she will be learning with her brother next year.

Jenn8604
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:26 PM

We may dual enroll to help them get further ahead in their education.  I would love to see them graduate HS with their AA already behind them and be able to focus on the degree of choice.  This is what I want, but may not be what they want.  We have many years before we decide on stuff like this....they are only 4 and 7.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I will graduate them when I think they are prepared to enter college or the "real world" LOL. 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:24 PM
My oldest will graduate at 18, next summer. She hasn't decided what she wants to yet. She could graduate this may at 17 but she doesn't feel she is ready yet & neither do I. Her senior year will consist mainly of studying for the ACT.
my youngest is only 5 so who knows when she will be ready.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM

We may end up using a community college for dual enrollment for my only homeschooled child, who is my youngest and only daughter, as well. I do prefer to teach her as much as possible myself. However, a lot could change between 5th grade and high school! I'm flexible.

I am not one who wants to push my kids out of the nest too early. On the other hand, I don't coddle them either. I am a strong believer in letting them try things on their own and giving them freedoms and independence while  they are still at home so I can catch them if they fall. On the other hand, I really don't want to send my daughter to college at 16. That sounds like a recipe for.....well, a lot of bad things!

lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I have three sons. One graduated from a private school. The second one graduated from the local public school 2 years ago. The third will graduate in a few months.

When my 2nd eldest son graduated 2 years ago, I thought, "He isn't 'done' yet!" Although highly intelligent and musically gifted, his maturity has always been lower than I prefer. He wanted to go away (1-1/2hours) to college where all his friends were going. So, that's where he went. He quickly found out that college means different friends and means having to pay for room and board! Having to find that $10,000 per year has made him rethink his educational choice.

After 2 years, he is coming back home to live, going to a local campus, and changing his major for the 5th time.  I think he is finally on track.  I so wish he could have stayed home for a while longer instead of graduating at a young 18. He has made great grades in college, but he just has not been ready to make a life career decision yet. BTW, I understand his waffling on the career decision. He is gifted in math and music. It is hard to double major in both, yet in trying to think ahead into making a financial life for himself, he sees music as a difficult road. Yet, he finds economics or accounting boring and stifling. He has changed from music education to actuarial science, to mathematical economics to music composition. Now, it is music therapy.

That doesn't even mention what going away to a liberal college has done to his religious faith. He probably was not firm enough in that, either, before going out on his own. Like I said, he just wasn't "done" yet!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I will graduate them when I think they are prepared to enter college or the "real world" LOL. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)