Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When will your kids graduate?

Poll

Question: When will you graduate them?

Options:

younger

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

So, I've been a bit forwrd thinking lately. 

When do you plan on graduating your child? 

Age 18, 17, 16?

During high school will you do a dual enrollment with a local college? 

Thoughts please! 

Progressive, Single, Homeschooling, Working Mother to One Twice-Exceptional Kid all done with the Motto of Faith, Family & Fun!

love you sign

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM

It all depends on the child.

rebeccasmly
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Depends on the child. I have 1 who could easily graduate at 16, another 1 who will probably be 19.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I also have 3 sons, they are very young yet (4, 6, and almost 8) but one of my favorite things about homeschooling is that I get to know them academically well enough to know when they are ready to move onto the next step and when they are not. 

I was also a PS teacher and I know how many kids are not emotioally ready to leave their homes and go to college away.  The parents sometimes don't recognize it and the teahers just can't do as much about it as we would like, so I'm happy that I have the opportunity to prepare them and the ability to help them decide when they are truly ready to take steps toward their future.

My only concern is that I don't want to get too greedy and keep them longer than they need.  I'm usually not one to hold my boys back, but when you are standing at the edge of that move out date, you never know how it's all going to happen, ya know?  I hope we all get ready at the same time. :-)

Quoting lucsch:

I have three sons. One graduated from a private school. The second one graduated from the local public school 2 years ago. The third will graduate in a few months.

When my 2nd eldest son graduated 2 years ago, I thought, "He isn't 'done' yet!" Although highly intelligent and musically gifted, his maturity has always been lower than I prefer. He wanted to go away (1-1/2hours) to college where all his friends were going. So, that's where he went. He quickly found out that college means different friends and means having to pay for room and board! Having to find that $10,000 per year has made him rethink his educational choice.

After 2 years, he is coming back home to live, going to a local campus, and changing his major for the 5th time.  I think he is finally on track.  I so wish he could have stayed home for a while longer instead of graduating at a young 18. He has made great grades in college, but he just has not been ready to make a life career decision yet. BTW, I understand his waffling on the career decision. He is gifted in math and music. It is hard to double major in both, yet in trying to think ahead into making a financial life for himself, he sees music as a difficult road. Yet, he finds economics or accounting boring and stifling. He has changed from music education to actuarial science, to mathematical economics to music composition. Now, it is music therapy.

That doesn't even mention what going away to a liberal college has done to his religious faith. He probably was not firm enough in that, either, before going out on his own. Like I said, he just wasn't "done" yet!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I will graduate them when I think they are prepared to enter college or the "real world" LOL. 

CrimsonRadiance
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:06 PM

My Oldest will be around 15-16 and yes, we will dual enroll him in college courses. :) He is 9 (turns 10 next month) and is in 5th grade right now. He actually has his whole school and beyond planned out. They have been the same plans since he was 5. He is motivated and I think he will do exactly what he plans. :) 

My middle and youngest will most like be around 17-18 when they graduate. We are hoping to dual enroll them, but that will be up to them, if that is what they choose. Right now they are 7 (and in 2nd grade) and 5 (not really in a "grade".. he knows all the Kindergarten things, but haven't really pushed 1st grade yet.)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I imagine around 17. Missie could maybe go sooner but I'm not that worried about it. The other three, it's too early to tell.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:44 PM

I didn't vote because I am not sure.  This is our first year HS.  My boys will probably be 18 because they have been in PS up until this year.  My daughter will probably be 16.  She is in kindergaretn now and I intend to HS her from now on.  We were planning on sending her to PS, but changed our mind.  We started Homeschooling late august and she turned 6 in October.  She is doing extremely well so I am moving along at her pace.  We also will be homeschooling her year round on 3 or 4 day school week and taking off one week here and there as needed.  If we do this, she should be able to graduate by the time she is 16.

I am hoping that the boys can do the dual enrollment their junior and senior year.  My daughter will probably also do dual enrollment  at the age of 15, then hopefully graduate at 16 and then go to college full time.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:03 PM

It depends on how much effort my kids put into their last two years of school. We give a ltmus test that if they can't pass with such and such a grade, then they do not graduate until they do. We already have one that graduated at 16.  She is also working and holding down a full time job. I have one that just turned 16 and they decided they were going to wait until 17 or 18. I also have another that is trying to graduate as early as possible. Even trying to graduate before 16. Not sure how that will turn out but all I can do is wait and see how things work out. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:05 PM

That I'm aware of, no accredited local college does dual enrollment.

I have no intention of graduating before age 18, simply because I want the maturity there before they head off to college. If nothing else, if they've finished all required course work before 18, they will have a year to beef up their transcripts with electives.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jody59
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:07 PM

All five of mine were/will be 18.

Jody                   Check Out The Writing Course

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I believe they will be done with typical course work by about 14, but I hope to start them either with an online college or local community college until they are 16/17, and I can help them do more college prep stuff w/them at the same time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN