Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When will your kids graduate?

Poll

Question: When will you graduate them?

Options:

younger

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

So, I've been a bit forwrd thinking lately. 

When do you plan on graduating your child? 

Age 18, 17, 16?

During high school will you do a dual enrollment with a local college? 

Thoughts please! 

Progressive, Single, Homeschooling, Working Mother to One Twice-Exceptional Kid all done with the Motto of Faith, Family & Fun!

love you sign

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Replies (21-27):
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I answered 16 but honestly when we feel that she is ready (or they assuming we have more) and we will probably try to add some college classes in there. If she is ready for high school level classes at 12 or 13 and can graduate by 15 or 16, then we'll do that. If she takes longer and doesn't graduate until 18, that's alright too.

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:10 AM

This too, she's only 2 1/2. =)

Quoting coala:

We may dual enroll to help them get further ahead in their education.  I would love to see them graduate HS with their AA already behind them and be able to focus on the degree of choice.  This is what I want, but may not be what they want.  We have many years before we decide on stuff like this....they are only 4 and 7.

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

That is a great idea for letting them graduate early but still be at home to gain maturity! I will have to write this somewhere so I remember it in 10+ years. =)

Quoting KickButtMama:

I believe they will be done with typical course work by about 14, but I hope to start them either with an online college or local community college until they are 16/17, and I can help them do more college prep stuff w/them at the same time. 

CafeMom Tickers
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:42 PM

We're not going to push them to graduate early.  If they want to do dual enrollment, that's an option for them, but we'll see.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:56 PM

The Home School Legal Defense has some interesting articles on Dual Enrollment even giving some personal experiences from the children who took some college courses while homeschooling.  . 

HSLDA The Dual Enrollment Option

My Grandson is now doing this, and loves  it.  His Mom is also taking some classes at the same Community College, so they travel together. ...I did not do this with my children, but wish I had.  it sure saves on College debt, and I  know some families that it has benefited greatly.One home schooled boy who did dual enrollment , was the youngest scientist  to be hired by NASA.

P.S. (1) Koty will not graduate high school early with dual enrollment, but will have a head start on college. It also makes future college enrollment easier for those who are college bound (not everyone is) But the HSLDA article explains all that. 

(2) Some students choose to do online college courses. 

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

My oldest will be 18 when he graduates and  my youngest is in preshool, we will have to wait and see about him.  I don't know about dual enrollment yet, because the oldest in just in the fourth grade.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM
When they are ready. It is individual to each child. My eldest is 18 and graduating this year.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)