Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What would you suggest for Education Reform?

Since Common Core has been such a hot topic lately, I'm curiouse what you all would suggest for education reform in the United States? 

We are one of the only industrialized nations NOT to have reformed our educational system. China, Japan, Canda, Norway, etc. etc. all have had educational reform and I believe that is why they are beating us in international tests. 

We can't keep educating our kids like they are going into a factory. We need tech-savy, creative, out-of-the-box thinkers. But, how do we do it? What are your ideas? 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Do what has worked so well in the U.S. now and in the past.  Home school outperforms public schools, and we once had the best education in the world.  In both cases (like in Finland)  the control is in the hands of teachers and parents....those who care most about the kids....not some bureaucrat who is more interested in money than the kids.  Central planning does not work. It is legal theft. 

Queen Creole 313, you have spent many hours trying to convince us that Common Core is a good thing, when the Attorneys at The Home School Legal Defense Association say otherwise.  They rightfully carry a lot of credibility here. What is your investment in this pursuit?  Why do you persist?

Quoting QueenCreole313:

So, do you think we should mimic Finland? Will that work in the US? 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM
7 moms liked this

• end compulosory education
  • allow children to study things that interest them
  • give power of the educational system back to the local level
  • give teachers and parents more control
  • make it easier to fire bad teachers
  • pay teachers more money  

China's educational system isn't all that great.  The united states has had more inventions than a lot of other countries.  

Honestly the greatest impact on kids are the parents.  It is the top reason why homeschooling works.  There is nothing more helpful than a caring parent that will do anything for their child.  Parents know their children better than anyone else in the entire world.  No one will fight  for our children more we will.  We need to remember schools should work for us.  

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I completely agree. My brother is not cut out for college. He went for 2 years and got a few electrical certificates and is looking for a job doing that. He realized this is what he wanted to do after learning it in hs.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I'm disappointed that universities and high schools, for that matter, have people thinking that everyone is college material and that everyone should go. Trade workers have built my house and car, stitched my clothes, bound textbooks that I've purchased, and so much more!

Manufacturers are screaming that there aren't enough skilled workers to fill job openings, yet we still focus on making sure that every highschooler leaves with a diploma having taken advanced math and science.  Those courses are great for the kids who want to go to college (in those fields), but they shouldn't be shoved down the throats of every pupil in a seat.

Home ec., shop, repair, art, music, and computer classes all have their place in teaching and learning.  Great, respectable jobs are out there for people who have passions for these things.  American schools really should encourage students to be more industrial and foster apprenticeship opportunities and not make those who forgo college or the military like failures.

Dan Rather recently reported on Germany's educational model as it relates to hands-on experience.  Promo (video)  Article

There's nothing wrong with working with your hands.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Teach things other then "core subjects"; like computers, sewing, cooking, art, music, etc. Do more hands on learning. Get rid of bad teachers regardless of tenure. Get rid of all these administrators and put more money in the classroom.

Parents also need to be more involved and accept some responsibility for their child's education.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I just simplified you did great at explaining it.  I wish schools were like this so I would not worry so much about my 6 year old going to public school next year.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I just typed several paragraphs to say what you did in one.  LOL!  ITA with your post.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I dont know about Finland but if we had smaller class sizes and seperated by ability instead of age I think that would help.  Then the kids would be able to learn at thier own pace.  If they figured it out then they can move up in each subject.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Huh? I've spent several hours trying to convince? I don't think so. I simply shared my oppinion and encouraged others to share theirs. This is America right? Also, this post isn't about Common Core. 

Quoting romacox:

Do what has worked so well in the U.S. now and in the past.  Home school outperforms public schools, and we once had the best education in the world.  In both cases (like in Finland)  the control is in the hands of teachers and parents....those who care most about the kids....not some bureaucrat who is more interested in money than the kids.  Central planning does not work. It is legal theft. 

Queen Creole 313, you have spent many hours trying to convince us that Common Core is a good thing, when the Attorneys at The Home School Legal Defense Association say otherwise.  They rightfully carry a lot of credibility here. What is your investment in this pursuit?  Why do you persist?

Quoting QueenCreole313:

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Quoting your original post: Since Common Core has been such a hot topic lately, I'm curiouse what you all would suggest for education reform in the United States? We are one of the only industrialized nations NOT to have reformed our educational system. China, Japan, Canda, Norway, etc. etc. all have had educational reform and I believe that is why they are beating us in international tests.
Quoting QueenCreole313:

Huh? I've spent several hours trying to convince? I don't think so. I simply shared my oppinion and encouraged others to share theirs. This is America right? Also, this post isn't about Common Core. 

Quoting romacox:

Quoting QueenCreole313:

WantedNameTaken
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

That's great!  Your brother's passion for what he does means he'll probably do it for a lifetime.  He may even start his own business and create jobs for others.

Trade classes are being removed from American schools for no good reason. Adults who want to test a career after high school have go into debt paying for post-secondary trade school, because they simply couldn't take a semester course in high school to figure out where it may lead them.

I remember when "auto mechanics" used to be a class.  I took home ec, wood shop, and metal shop myself.  Those were cool experiences! :)

Quoting cjsmom1:

I completely agree. My brother is not cut out for college. He went for 2 years and got a few electrical certificates and is looking for a job doing that. He realized this is what he wanted to do after learning it in hs.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I'm disappointed that universities and high schools, for that matter, have people thinking that everyone is college material and that everyone should go. Trade workers have built my house and car, stitched my clothes, bound textbooks that I've purchased, and so much more!

Manufacturers are screaming that there aren't enough skilled workers to fill job openings, yet we still focus on making sure that every highschooler leaves with a diploma having taken advanced math and science.  Those courses are great for the kids who want to go to college (in those fields), but they shouldn't be shoved down the throats of every pupil in a seat.

Home ec., shop, repair, art, music, and computer classes all have their place in teaching and learning.  Great, respectable jobs are out there for people who have passions for these things.  American schools really should encourage students to be more industrial and foster apprenticeship opportunities and not make those who forgo college or the military like failures.

Dan Rather recently reported on Germany's educational model as it relates to hands-on experience.  Promo (video)  Article

There's nothing wrong with working with your hands.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Teach things other then "core subjects"; like computers, sewing, cooking, art, music, etc. Do more hands on learning. Get rid of bad teachers regardless of tenure. Get rid of all these administrators and put more money in the classroom.

Parents also need to be more involved and accept some responsibility for their child's education.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I see someone is a bit of an instigator and I'm not falling for it. The topic is about educational reform. :)

Quoting romacox:

Quoting your original post: Since Common Core has been such a hot topic lately, I'm curiouse what you all would suggest for education reform in the United States? We are one of the only industrialized nations NOT to have reformed our educational system. China, Japan, Canda, Norway, etc. etc. all have had educational reform and I believe that is why they are beating us in international tests.
Quoting QueenCreole313:

Quoting romacox:

Quoting QueenCreole313:

WantedNameTaken
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I almost forgot about the pushing of foreign languages.  These kids are barely proficient at their own language and some school districts force them to obtain credits for other languages.  Yeah, that makes sense.  Not!  LOL!

We're not all going to be world travelers or have business communications with people in other countries, so I think this forced "elective" (oxymoron, right?) should be dropped.  Besides, many people who took a foreign language in high school can't read, speak, or write a lick of it.  Such a waste of time. :(

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Educational Reform needs to be about getting the government out of the way so parents / teachers can do what is best for the kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)