Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What would you suggest for Education Reform?

Since Common Core has been such a hot topic lately, I'm curiouse what you all would suggest for education reform in the United States? 

We are one of the only industrialized nations NOT to have reformed our educational system. China, Japan, Canda, Norway, etc. etc. all have had educational reform and I believe that is why they are beating us in international tests. 

We can't keep educating our kids like they are going into a factory. We need tech-savy, creative, out-of-the-box thinkers. But, how do we do it? What are your ideas? 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Replies (21-30):
lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:17 PM
6 moms liked this

I think we need SOCIAL reform, before school reform. Kids don't learn because they are learning to be dependent, lazy people. All they care about are their electronic toys, getting free stuff, and being entertained.

Where are the values of hard work and making something of oneself? Where is the value of respecting other people and especially ones elders? Where is the value of the love of learning?

The breakdown of family and family values has also played a huge role. The family at home is the foundation of the child's education. If the parent does not care, the child will not care. It is creating generational poverty and dependence upon the government.

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Double like!

Quoting lucsch:

I think we need SOCIAL reform, before school reform. Kids don't learn because they are learning to be dependent, lazy people. All they care about are their electronic toys, getting free stuff, and being entertained.

Where are the values of hard work and making something of oneself? Where is the value of respecting other people and especially ones elders? Where is the value of the love of learning?

The breakdown of family and family values has also played a huge role. The family at home is the foundation of the child's education. If the parent does not care, the child will not care. It is creating generational poverty and dependence upon the government.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I know there are lots of high feelings on common core but lets try not to point fingers and argue.  Everyone has thier own opinions and while I do not like the public school systems actual systems.  I think we all agree that the school system is not up to par.  We all teach and work with our children at what works best for our children and family.

Quoting romacox:

Quoting your original post: Since Common Core has been such a hot topic lately, I'm curiouse what you all would suggest for education reform in the United States? We are one of the only industrialized nations NOT to have reformed our educational system. China, Japan, Canda, Norway, etc. etc. all have had educational reform and I believe that is why they are beating us in international tests.
Quoting QueenCreole313:

Huh? I've spent several hours trying to convince? I don't think so. I simply shared my oppinion and encouraged others to share theirs. This is America right? Also, this post isn't about Common Core. 

Quoting romacox:

Do what has worked so well in the U.S. now and in the past.  Home school outperforms public schools, and we once had the best education in the world.  In both cases (like in Finland)  the control is in the hands of teachers and parents....those who care most about the kids....not some bureaucrat who is more interested in money than the kids.  Central planning does not work. It is legal theft. 

Queen Creole 313, you have spent many hours trying to convince us that Common Core is a good thing, when the Attorneys at The Home School Legal Defense Association say otherwise.  They rightfully carry a lot of credibility here. What is your investment in this pursuit?  Why do you persist?

Quoting QueenCreole313:

So, do you think we should mimic Finland? Will that work in the US? 

lucsch
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!

My dh is a public school principal--actually he was a principal (works with teachers more) and stepped back to be an assistant principal (deals with the kids, mainly the troublemakers, and also runs the athletic programs) because he likes that job better. I am constantly hearing all about it!

My reflections are a sad, but true reality. I don't mean to demean all single parents. There are many single parents--many of whom really do care and have wonderful kids in the schools. However, there are just as many or more that don't care--don't even know HOW to parent--who are producing kids that are our future criminals, I'm afraid. It is the sheer number of them that I find frightening.Young, single parenting is becoming the norm in this country.

I didn't mention the SPOILED brats at the other end  of the spectrum--they are just as bad, if not worse.

If anyone doubts anything I've said, just visit around on some of the public groups of CM. The evidence is appalling!

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

Double like!

Quoting lucsch:

WantedNameTaken
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I dealt with this to a lesser extent as a PTA leader, school volunteer, and Cub Scout leader.  I encountered too many parents who wanted everyone else to lead and fix their children, but didn't want to become involved themselves.  When I hosted PTA meetings, I couldn't even fill THREE seats. Scout meetings were just an opportunity for me to watch other people's kids while parents sat in the corner.  They wouldn't even step up to help me deal with behaviorial issues.

Quoting lucsch:

Thank you!

My dh is a public school principal--actually he was a principal (works with teachers more) and stepped back to be an assistant principal (deals with the kids, mainly the troublemakers, and also runs the athletic programs) because he likes that job better. I am constantly hearing all about it!

My reflections are a sad, but true reality. I don't mean to demean all single parents. There are many single parents--many of whom really do care and have wonderful kids in the schools. However, there are just as many or more that don't care--don't even know HOW to parent--who are producing kids that are our future criminals, I'm afraid. It is the sheer number of them that I find frightening.Young, single parenting is becoming the norm in this country.

I didn't mention the SPOILED brats at the other end  of the spectrum--they are just as bad, if not worse.

If anyone doubts anything I've said, just visit around on some of the public groups of CM. The evidence is appalling!

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

Double like!

Quoting lucsch:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I agree with all of this!

Quoting jen2150:

• end compulosory education
  • allow children to study things that interest them
  • give power of the educational system back to the local level
  • give teachers and parents more control

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I started hs in NYC and we didn't have any of those classes. When we moved down south they had tons of trade type classes. That's where my brother realized he was good with the electrical stuff. It's important for kids to learn some pf these things before finishing hs to see if they even like it.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

That's great!  Your brother's passion for what he does means he'll probably do it for a lifetime.  He may even start his own business and create jobs for others.

Trade classes are being removed from American schools for no good reason. Adults who want to test a career after high school have go into debt paying for post-secondary trade school, because they simply couldn't take a semester course in high school to figure out where it may lead them.

I remember when "auto mechanics" used to be a class.  I took home ec, wood shop, and metal shop myself.  Those were cool experiences! :)

Quoting cjsmom1:

I completely agree. My brother is not cut out for college. He went for 2 years and got a few electrical certificates and is looking for a job doing that. He realized this is what he wanted to do after learning it in hs.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I'm disappointed that universities and high schools, for that matter, have people thinking that everyone is college material and that everyone should go. Trade workers have built my house and car, stitched my clothes, bound textbooks that I've purchased, and so much more!

Manufacturers are screaming that there aren't enough skilled workers to fill job openings, yet we still focus on making sure that every highschooler leaves with a diploma having taken advanced math and science.  Those courses are great for the kids who want to go to college (in those fields), but they shouldn't be shoved down the throats of every pupil in a seat.

Home ec., shop, repair, art, music, and computer classes all have their place in teaching and learning.  Great, respectable jobs are out there for people who have passions for these things.  American schools really should encourage students to be more industrial and foster apprenticeship opportunities and not make those who forgo college or the military like failures.

Dan Rather recently reported on Germany's educational model as it relates to hands-on experience.  Promo (video)  Article

There's nothing wrong with working with your hands.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Teach things other then "core subjects"; like computers, sewing, cooking, art, music, etc. Do more hands on learning. Get rid of bad teachers regardless of tenure. Get rid of all these administrators and put more money in the classroom.

Parents also need to be more involved and accept some responsibility for their child's education.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
cjsmom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
I started hs in NYC and we didn't have any of those classes. When we moved down south they had tons of trade type classes. That's where my brother realized he was good with the electrical stuff. It's important for kids to learn some pf these things before finishing hs to see if they even like it.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

That's great!  Your brother's passion for what he does means he'll probably do it for a lifetime.  He may even start his own business and create jobs for others.

Trade classes are being removed from American schools for no good reason. Adults who want to test a career after high school have go into debt paying for post-secondary trade school, because they simply couldn't take a semester course in high school to figure out where it may lead them.

I remember when "auto mechanics" used to be a class.  I took home ec, wood shop, and metal shop myself.  Those were cool experiences! :)

Quoting cjsmom1:

I completely agree. My brother is not cut out for college. He went for 2 years and got a few electrical certificates and is looking for a job doing that. He realized this is what he wanted to do after learning it in hs.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I'm disappointed that universities and high schools, for that matter, have people thinking that everyone is college material and that everyone should go. Trade workers have built my house and car, stitched my clothes, bound textbooks that I've purchased, and so much more!

Manufacturers are screaming that there aren't enough skilled workers to fill job openings, yet we still focus on making sure that every highschooler leaves with a diploma having taken advanced math and science.  Those courses are great for the kids who want to go to college (in those fields), but they shouldn't be shoved down the throats of every pupil in a seat.

Home ec., shop, repair, art, music, and computer classes all have their place in teaching and learning.  Great, respectable jobs are out there for people who have passions for these things.  American schools really should encourage students to be more industrial and foster apprenticeship opportunities and not make those who forgo college or the military like failures.

Dan Rather recently reported on Germany's educational model as it relates to hands-on experience.  Promo (video)  Article

There's nothing wrong with working with your hands.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Teach things other then "core subjects"; like computers, sewing, cooking, art, music, etc. Do more hands on learning. Get rid of bad teachers regardless of tenure. Get rid of all these administrators and put more money in the classroom.

Parents also need to be more involved and accept some responsibility for their child's education.

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I agree with most of what you said. People want to be their kids friends instead of being parents. I had my ds at 17 and hate how people automatically assume ds doesn't know his dad, is failing, and a bad child all because I'm a young parent. I think laziness is a bigger factor then age. I know my situation isn't the norm and that many young parents aren't properly raising their children.

Quoting lucsch:

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I disagree. There are so many jobs I can't get because I only speak English and they only want bilingual people. Plus at my current job I use ASL.

Quoting WantedNameTaken:

I almost forgot about the pushing of foreign languages.  These kids are barely proficient at their own language and some school districts force them to obtain credits for other languages.  Yeah, that makes sense.  Not!  LOL!

We're not all going to be world travelers or have business communications with people in other countries, so I think this forced "elective" (oxymoron, right?) should be dropped.  Besides, many people who took a foreign language in high school can't read, speak, or write a lick of it.  Such a waste of time. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN