Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What would you suggest for Education Reform?

Since Common Core has been such a hot topic lately, I'm curiouse what you all would suggest for education reform in the United States? 

We are one of the only industrialized nations NOT to have reformed our educational system. China, Japan, Canda, Norway, etc. etc. all have had educational reform and I believe that is why they are beating us in international tests. 

We can't keep educating our kids like they are going into a factory. We need tech-savy, creative, out-of-the-box thinkers. But, how do we do it? What are your ideas? 

by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Replies (41-50):
jeweldragons
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM
5 moms liked this

Get rid of the No Child Left Behind Act.  Bring back recess, music, art, home ec, physical education that so many schools are getting rid of today.  Stop teaching to a test.  Start implementing gifted programs for gifted students (who according to one of my ECE textbooks also qualify as special needs).  Bring back more PLAY in lessons from K-3rd grade.  Bring back those apprentice ships for the kids who flunk out of school or have no desire to go to college.  I do not understand the push for academics so early in preschool.  I read on here about parents pushing their kids to learn stuff by 2 years old.  Really what is the point of that?  From birth to 8 years old it should be about play.  Not really academic work.  Finland doesn't start school until 7 years old.  In the Middle East they don't start until 7 and go straight into 1st grade.  No Kindergarten, no preschool, no Pre-K. 

Homework shouldn't be fricking 2-3 hours long.  I am not saying we should imitate Japan (who has a high rate of suicide among their kids because the students are under pressure to suceed and get into high school) or imitate China (where you have to pass a test to get into high school and only the 'smart' children are allowed into high school).  I do not know enough about Finland's school system to comment on it other than I know they don't start until 7 years old.  Kids need to be outside and playing more after school instead of sitting on their ass on the computer or watching TV/playing with their game systems or cell phones.  That's partly why we have a growing obesity epidemic in our country. 

Mix up kids ages in classrooms.  Nowhere in the real world are you ever going to be working or studying with people the same age as you so why the heck do we do it and expect it in public schools?  Group children by abilities and focus on their different methods of learning instead of a cookie cutter robot mold.

occumommy
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM
5 moms liked this
Ok for fear of sounding "crazy" i do not think the US is interested in reforming their education. For a country that spends as much as we do on military, it would seem they would want a population that takes orders. I think it`s more than our education system thats a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WantedNameTaken
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Queen, I could see that happening for the reasons you stated.

I was at my son's elementary school a few years ago for a meeting.  While I sat at the table with teachers and the school psychologist and waited for one more participant, I could hear the "teacher" next door screaming at kids and being unbelievably demeaning to them.  The other adults, her peers, SAT there and did nothing.  Not me!

I got up, walked into that room, and told her that she had no business yelling at those kids and that I was in a meeting next door and shouldn't have to hear her.  I was fuming!  What irked me most is that she had a group of kids who required a small group setting due to their emotional and learning issues. THAT'S how she chose to get her room under control.   She behaved like a warden who had no intent to rehabilitate their prisoners.

I was done!  I removed DS the next year and he's been home since.

I witnessed the secretary screaming at kids as well.  I guess it was the culture.  Whatever!  

I don't sit by and let people do crazy things.  DH thinks that my boldness will get me into trouble one day.  I don't care, because if I can save one child from an out-of-control adult or a wreckless driver, I'd do it in a heartbeat every time I'm given the chance to do so.

Quoting QueenCreole313:

When my son was in public school i would often stop by the soend time, eat lunch, volunteer, etc. i quickly found out that the culture actually discourages parents from getting involved. They asked me not to come so much. I guess they did not want me to witness how many teachers were treating the students, etc.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Excellent idea AutymsMommy.  I could not have said it better. That is what home schooling is all about.....  Bump this

bowing down

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Nobody will like my idea of education reform.

Get rid of "public education". Get rid of tax percentages that go towards those schools.

Encourage communities to invest in, and create, their own "community schools" - where parents volunteer their time, pour their own money into the school, have a hand in hiring teachers, choosing curriculum, and take a more active role in the education of their children.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I think it's a good idea, but not many agree, unfortunately, lol.

Quoting romacox:

Excellent idea AutymsMommy.  I could not have said it better. That is what home schooling is all about.....  Bump this

bowing down

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Get rid of "public education". Get rid of tax percentages that go towards those schools.

Encourage communities to invest in, and create, their own "community schools" - where parents volunteer their time, pour their own money into the school, have a hand in hiring teachers, choosing curriculum, and take a more active role in the education of their children.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I have been here for a long time, and there are many long time members  who agree with you AutymsMommy, and have chosen to stay out of this conversation. .  There are many here who have repeatedly stated how much they appreciate the Home School Legal Defense Association standing up for home educators too. 

So you are not alone on CafeMom's Homeschool group, and we are glad you are here, 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I think it's a good idea, but not many agree, unfortunately, lol.

Quoting romacox:

bowing down

Quoting AutymsMommy:

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Something like the Sudbury school but with no compulsory attendance & no government involvement or taxes. The whole thing should be run by community & families that use it.

Here is a description of what a Sudbury school is

Sudbury school

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Sudbury school is a school that practices a form of democratic education in which students individually decide what to do with their time, and learn as a by-product of ordinary experience rather than adopting a predetermined educational syllabus or standardized instruction by classes following a prescriptive curriculum. Students have complete responsibility for their own education and the school is run by direct democracy in which students and staff are equals.

The name 'Sudbury' refers to Sudbury Valley School, founded in 1968 in Framingham, Massachusetts, the first school of this type. There are now more than 30 Sudbury-type schools around the world. These schools are not formally associated in any way, but are a loosely connected network that are mutually supportive of each other, operating as independent entities.

The model differs in some ways from other types of democratic schools and anarchistic free schools, but there are many similarities:

• De-emphasis of classes: There is no curriculum or set of required courses. Instead learner interest guides things, with students studying what they want to study. There are generally no classrooms, just rooms where people choose to congregate.
  • Age mixing: students are not separated into age-groups of any kind and are allowed to mix freely, interacting with those younger and older than themselves; free age-mixing is emphasized as a powerful tool for learning and development in all ages.
  • Autonomous democracy:parents have limited involvement or no involvement in the school administration; Sudbury schools are run by a democratic school meeting where the students and staff participate exclusively and equally. Such meetings are also the sole authority on hiring and firing of staff, unlike most other schools.

Sudbury schools are based on the belief that no kind of curriculum is necessary to prepare a young person for adult life. Instead, these schools emphasize learning as a natural by-product of all human activity.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:50 PM
6 moms liked this

We have been told since the early '70's that we parents don't know enough and aren't educated enough to "teach" our children and should therefore send them off to someone who does.

Occumommy made a very valid point when she said that this is more than just a problem with education. We have teachers who do not care to teach and help facilitate a learning environment and parents who are having children just so that they can drop them off for someone else to do all the "dirty" work for them but claim the end reults as their own. And until this is handled and dealt with, our educational system is NOT going to be anything other than what it is and worse. Too many people/parents feel like they have no control over anything and can not change anything because of that. But that is just so wrong! We do. We do have control and can change how things are. We just have to start believing in ourselves more and more and then stand up and make it happen. Isn't that what we home schoolers are doing by not putting our kids in the public system?!!???! This is just the beginning. We need to implement more. There are so many parents out there who feel like they can not do anything other than what they are doing, but that simpl isn't the case here. We home schoolers need to be more encouraging of one another and more encouraging to those outside of the home schooling spectrum. We CAN teach our kids. We ARE capable of doing whatever it takes to accomplish this huge feat! Just look at what a lot of you are doing in this group alone?! It CAN  be done, I tell you. We are already doing it! Lets do more. Let's show them how this can be done and done the right way. Let's be more vocal here on cafemom and in our locqal neighborhoods. Let's be more forward than ever before. We are starting to shape how people think about home schooling now and over the past 10 years. Let's keep that momentum going and growing! We CAN do this ladies! I know we can!  I believe in us! 

Whew! Okay. Slowly calming down now. :)  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I heartily apologize for all of my mis spelled words. :( yuck. It was in the heat of the moment. lol 

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Not to worry.  You just make me feel better when I make a mistake.  Besides the only person who never makes a mistake is the guy who never does anything. 

you rock

Quoting kirbymom:

I heartily apologize for all of my mis spelled words. :( yuck. It was in the heat of the moment. lol 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)