Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Considering HomeSchooling...Some advice please

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi Everyone! I have been seriously considering homeschooling my son when the next school year begins. He will be in 8th grade. Ive checked out my state laws on homeschooling, etc. 

I just need to know...are there any other mothers out there that started homeschooling this late in the game? Im nervous about homeschooling him through high school. I want to be sure that he is going to get a HS diploma and be able to go to college.

How do you go about choosing a curriculum? How do you know your child is learning enough, especially to be able to graduate and go on to college?

Sorry for the rambling! I know I want to homeschool him (for my own personal reasons) Im just nervous that I wont be good enough. Any and all advice/sharing your perosonal experiences with it is welcome!

Thank you!

*~*Ayshren*~*

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM
Replies (11-14):
westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

This year will be my first year as well...I'm taking on kinder, 4th, and 6th grade...oh boy! I haven't even started and I already see the rewards. A guarentee'd good education! I'm taking it into my own hands, and if I don't know or I can't teach it, I will find someone who can. Guarenteed sucess! Also I do know here in Texas you can still be doing high school and attend college, and get scholarships to do so. That's my plan for mine. I'm not the smartest with math, though I'm ever so grateful my little sister is a CPA (lulz LOVE her!) but when the kids begin to become smarter than I can teach, I'll outsource to someone more qualified. The relief is my placement tests long ago put me in a 2nd year college students ranking on my language arts capabilities, close to that for science, and history has always been my favorite subject. But plow on mamma, you're concern about being qualified enough SHOWS YOU'RE QUALIFIED ENOUGH! You know if it's too difficult and you want the best for your kiddo, that's just obvious! Just use your resources. Those local support groups are going to be your go-to!

Not to mention, I'm pretty stinking excited about the thought of learning things I might have lost long ago in the dusty file cabinets in my brain :D

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:15 PM

The Home School Legal Defense Association has some neat articles on Dual Enrollment

Ruthmom802
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Oh, goodness! I started homeschooling in the tenth grade and ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!!!!

We used ABEKA and CLASS...

I use Charlotte Mason, Whole Hearted Ministries, ABEKA and some Horizons and MacMillian Math... The rest is just eclectic and books I get at our libraries.

I was an honor roll student for awhile except in Algebra while in high school... Your son will get a first rate education at home and I advise you to GO FOR IT!

Ayshren
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Thank you so much for all the kind replies, and encouragement!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)