Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please give me more reason to homeschool next year!!! (a west tx rant)

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM
  • 22 Replies
2 moms liked this

This is one of those jaw dropping, there's no way, nu-uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kinda things!!! I went to visit my 5th graders teacher to discuss our plans on homeschool next year, get a better handle on what she's covered this year, and what's anticipated for next. She happened to have the benchmark scores from the Texas required placement exams. As I peered over her shoulder at them she told me, oh nevermind the social studies score, theres a reason for that but oh look how wonderful all these scores are on math, reading, etc. Awesome my kids pretty dang smart! Now I know you said not to be concerned with the social studies, but why is it the score that it is? (70's the minimum to pass, my sons was a 40!!!!!) Oh, well we do teach them social studies but that subject isn't on the exam until a higher grade, so we just focus on the subjects that are.....

SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?

So because the state isn't going to test them on it your not going to teach it? My son's had a proffessionally administered IQ test, he's smart, he learns amazingly fast, and HE scored a 40 on it? But oh he doesn't need to learn about that stuff yet? And here, make me more annoyed...as I've been reviewing the state laws here regarding homeschooling MY curriculum must contain "good citizenship" (basically social studies) but the masses aren't required to learn it?!?! UGH!!!!!

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this

I've had nearly the same thing happen!!  It was science, not social studies for us.  Also our school completely dropped their music classes for 1st-4th grades, but we homeschoolers are required to teach it.  Double Standard.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I know how you feel.   The  system is often  biased against home educators, because the schools receive money for each student enrolled.  They lose money when a child is pulled out to home educate them. 

You asked for a reason.  There are many, but here are some:

Home Educated Children Outperform Their  P.S. Counterparts

Socialization

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM
2 moms liked this

I haven't checked your links yet but will. But funny one of them is titled socialization. If I have to hear "what about socialization?" one more time I think I might puke! Let's see here: Option #1 My kids socialize with whoever is in their school which includes, but is not limited to: The little girl that bullies and chides both of my kids because her mom is friends with their birth mom and those moms do meth together, the little boy who went and told my little girls best friends he thinks she's hot (my girl is 9 YEARS OLD!!!), the little boy who joined his 17 year old brother and a large group of their friends to gang up on my 13 year old neighbor...I mean I can go on and on...

OR

Option #2: My kids socialize with quality people, including the members of the two local home school support groups I'm joining. Doesn't the age old saying go something about no matter how good you start you'll end up like the company you keep?

As you can infer from my Option #1 details my kids have had a very very rough life and we're still working out some kinks to be able to give them something better than what they've known. I don't think sending them to the schools in our area makes things any better. I very much dislike having CPS tell me what to do and when we're legally parents and no longer foster, and I can kiss CPS good-bye, well, I might just cry!

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Westxmomtobe, it sounds like someone may be giving you a rough time.  Hang in there girl....there are lots of other moms here to help you in any way we can. 

hugs

In the article I linked on Socialization, it actually shows how the home educated children are better in social environments because they are in the real world rather than locked up in a classroom all day.. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:08 AM
3 moms liked this

Sadly you kinda need to get used to the dreaded 'socialization' question. It just shows their ignorance, and fear. 

I've always been of the opinion that people poke at socialization because they get defensive. In the back of their mind they worry that by choosing a different path we are really saying they don't love nor care for their kids as much as we do. Otherwise why harp on something so stupid? There is no way I want my kids learning social cues from the most loud/obnoxious kid in the room. Instead, they should learn these cues from adults who, presumably, know how to behave. I never concerned myself w/socialization. When my kids were little we hardly went anywhere because we only had one car and it was a pain to carpool DH to work. We didn't join a co-op until my eldest was 10. And he's been HS'ed since he was a toddler. And yet, I always joked, if my kids were any more friendly they'd be running for office! Lol. 

So, don't stress just nod and wave! 

Good luck with everything. My eldest has Aspergers, and I couldn't imagine him surviving the whole nightmare of PS. Do I think PS is a good choice for some types of personalities? Sure, I just think its a very small portion of the population. 

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

I haven't checked your links yet but will. But funny one of them is titled socialization. If I have to hear "what about socialization?" one more time I think I might puke! Let's see here: Option #1 My kids socialize with whoever is in their school which includes, but is not limited to: The little girl that bullies and chides both of my kids because her mom is friends with their birth mom and those moms do meth together, the little boy who went and told my little girls best friends he thinks she's hot (my girl is 9 YEARS OLD!!!), the little boy who joined his 17 year old brother and a large group of their friends to gang up on my 13 year old neighbor...I mean I can go on and on...

OR

Option #2: My kids socialize with quality people, including the members of the two local home school support groups I'm joining. Doesn't the age old saying go something about no matter how good you start you'll end up like the company you keep?

As you can infer from my Option #1 details my kids have had a very very rough life and we're still working out some kinks to be able to give them something better than what they've known. I don't think sending them to the schools in our area makes things any better. I very much dislike having CPS tell me what to do and when we're legally parents and no longer foster, and I can kiss CPS good-bye, well, I might just cry!

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

oredeb
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM
2 moms liked this

oh boy lots going on there!! glad your choosing to homeschool!

and  welcome westtx

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Ahhh >>  Welcome to the wonderful world of... you educate your children better than us, because we say so! One of the biggest double standards on the planet! 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:36 AM

That is ironic that the schools aren't teaching a subject that is forced on the homeschoolers to teach. I am in the Lubbock Texas aria, are you near here? There are a lot of homeschool groups, co-op classes & there are lots of sports teams for a variety of sports.

Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Most of the schools in the USA teach to the standardized tests.  There isn't much choice for them.  As it is my son told me yesterday that they've been given past tests to study/work from in school for the last month in order to get them ready for the upcoming standaedized test. To some degree you will have to teach for the exam as well.  I know in NYS the homeschooled kids have to pass the same state/federal exams as the public school kids, I'm not sure about Tx, although I expect it's the same.

Any which way, good luck.  It amazes me that anyone stays in that state considering how messed up the education system is there.  It's not a lot better other places but it's also not nearly as bad.  :/

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Oh don't even get me started!!! :P It's not just the education here that's awful! You know the children have lived with us since May of last year, 2 of which my husband continued to pay his ex-wife child support for until um, December I think...

yeah...

Here the kids do not have to take the tests if hs...also kinda stupid in my opinion. I want to prove to the (insert negatives) at CPS that I CAN and WILL do a better job than public schools. I am apalled! My 11 yo can't spell. He can't spell teach, or thought, or many many other similar words longer than 4-ish letters. I have been trying to help him since he moved in but having him the enitre day would definately make that easier. But CPS thinks ps are better but I wouldn't even use the word acceptable for them. I get the standarized tests, the reason for them, and all...but shoving off the topics not tested on until later onto a later teacher is awful, and it's only going to make it harder on him when by the time he hits 8th grade and they test him in social studies and by then he should know what year Christopher Columbus was in America, and what type of government the US has and doesn't have a clue...simply appalled!

By the way Texas hs laws say simply you must have a curriculum before being withdrawn, you must write a notice to the school to withdraw, and your curriculum must include the basics, reading, math, grammar, spelling, and good citizenship.  Oh and it can't be a "sham" LOL yup...cause my kids current social studies lessons are not a sham...

Quoting Saphira1207:

Most of the schools in the USA teach to the standardized tests.  There isn't much choice for them.  As it is my son told me yesterday that they've been given past tests to study/work from in school for the last month in order to get them ready for the upcoming standaedized test. To some degree you will have to teach for the exam as well.  I know in NYS the homeschooled kids have to pass the same state/federal exams as the public school kids, I'm not sure about Tx, although I expect it's the same.

Any which way, good luck.  It amazes me that anyone stays in that state considering how messed up the education system is there.  It's not a lot better other places but it's also not nearly as bad.  :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)