Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please give me more reason to homeschool next year!!! (a west tx rant)

Posted by   + Show Post

This is one of those jaw dropping, there's no way, nu-uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kinda things!!! I went to visit my 5th graders teacher to discuss our plans on homeschool next year, get a better handle on what she's covered this year, and what's anticipated for next. She happened to have the benchmark scores from the Texas required placement exams. As I peered over her shoulder at them she told me, oh nevermind the social studies score, theres a reason for that but oh look how wonderful all these scores are on math, reading, etc. Awesome my kids pretty dang smart! Now I know you said not to be concerned with the social studies, but why is it the score that it is? (70's the minimum to pass, my sons was a 40!!!!!) Oh, well we do teach them social studies but that subject isn't on the exam until a higher grade, so we just focus on the subjects that are.....

SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?

So because the state isn't going to test them on it your not going to teach it? My son's had a proffessionally administered IQ test, he's smart, he learns amazingly fast, and HE scored a 40 on it? But oh he doesn't need to learn about that stuff yet? And here, make me more annoyed...as I've been reviewing the state laws here regarding homeschooling MY curriculum must contain "good citizenship" (basically social studies) but the masses aren't required to learn it?!?! UGH!!!!!

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:12 PM

!!!

!!!

I'm in the Midland/Odessa area!!!

!!!

shake hand

And here's what's funny...what's in Lubbock? I ask because here it's all oil. Everything. There's not much for field trip ideas they haven't already seen. Though I was born in Texas (Fort Hood) I lived here very briefly and being an army brat I've been everywhere else LOL So if there's stuff there we would more than likely field trip that way. My kids are adventurers! And I desperately want to find some hs'ing moms to get together with! Not to be all over excited or whatever

sidesplittinglaughter

but let me know :)

Quoting usmom3:

That is ironic that the schools aren't teaching a subject that is forced on the homeschoolers to teach. I am in the Lubbock Texas aria, are you near here? There are a lot of homeschool groups, co-op classes & there are lots of sports teams for a variety of sports.

Saphira1207
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

eye rolling

So what you're saying is - I should never, ever, ever, ever, ever move to texas.

I agree.

;)

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

Oh don't even get me started!!! :P It's not just the education here that's awful! You know the children have lived with us since May of last year, 2 of which my husband continued to pay his ex-wife child support for until um, December I think...

yeah...

Here the kids do not have to take the tests if hs...also kinda stupid in my opinion. I want to prove to the (insert negatives) at CPS that I CAN and WILL do a better job than public schools. I am apalled! My 11 yo can't spell. He can't spell teach, or thought, or many many other similar words longer than 4-ish letters. I have been trying to help him since he moved in but having him the enitre day would definately make that easier. But CPS thinks ps are better but I wouldn't even use the word acceptable for them. I get the standarized tests, the reason for them, and all...but shoving off the topics not tested on until later onto a later teacher is awful, and it's only going to make it harder on him when by the time he hits 8th grade and they test him in social studies and by then he should know what year Christopher Columbus was in America, and what type of government the US has and doesn't have a clue...simply appalled!

By the way Texas hs laws say simply you must have a curriculum before being withdrawn, you must write a notice to the school to withdraw, and your curriculum must include the basics, reading, math, grammar, spelling, and good citizenship.  Oh and it can't be a "sham" LOL yup...cause my kids current social studies lessons are not a sham...

Quoting Saphira1207:

Most of the schools in the USA teach to the standardized tests.  There isn't much choice for them.  As it is my son told me yesterday that they've been given past tests to study/work from in school for the last month in order to get them ready for the upcoming standaedized test. To some degree you will have to teach for the exam as well.  I know in NYS the homeschooled kids have to pass the same state/federal exams as the public school kids, I'm not sure about Tx, although I expect it's the same.

Any which way, good luck.  It amazes me that anyone stays in that state considering how messed up the education system is there.  It's not a lot better other places but it's also not nearly as bad.  :/

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
It sounds like hs would be a great thing for your kids. I can't believe their not learning social studies in school. Then again we're doing online public school and it's the first time he's learning social studies and science. The little girl across the street was in ds's class last year and is doing the same program. She's failing half het classes because of how horrible the schools here are.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM

We have a few things here! This is  list from the Lubbock Homeschool News Yahoo group (you should consider joining it, it is free & it will keep you up to date on field trips & other activities)

1) Ag in a Bag
2) Cowboy Symposium
3) Silent Wings Museum
4) Windmill Museum
5) Lubbock Lake Landmark
6) the Wind Research dept at Tech
7) Cactus Theater
8) Vietnam Center at Tech
9) Pedro's Tamales Factory
10) Local winery
11) Breedlove Dehydration Plant
12) Apple Country Apple Orchard
13) Ranching Heritage Center
14) Lubbock Symphony
15) TTU International Cultural Center
16) combine smaller things, such as the War Memorial, Music Walk of Fame, etc.
17) Plains Cotton Cooperative
18) the Plains Cooperative Oil Mill
19) a local cotton farmer
20) an organic garden coop
21) the organic dairy farm
22) the Science Spectrum
23) Safety City
24) the Maize
25) Texas Tech Museum
26) TTU Planetarium
27) Market Street
28) Airport
29) Krispy Kreme
30) TV Station
31) Aerocare
32) animal shelter
33) fire station
34) Prairie Dog Town
35) Buddy Holly Center
36) Legacy Village
37) Mrs. Bairds
38) Domino's Pizza
39) Orlando's
40) Dion's Pizza
41) cotton processing plant on East 50th street that is run 100% wind power
42) Stubbs skate park
43) Lubbock Landfill
44) Green Cattle Company
45) Lubbock Avalanche Journal
46) South Plains Food Bank
47) Texas Tech textile research department (Loop 289 and Acuff Rd)
48) various departments at Tech
49) local farrier shoeing
50) local stable or equestrian center, horse show
51) South Plains Fair

Around the area:

1) Post - Ragtown Gospel Theater
2) Crosbyton - Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum
3) Canyone - Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon
4) Amarillo - Don Harrington Discovery Center in Amarillo - free admission for
Science Spectrum members
5) Amarillo - zoo
6) Floydada - Pumpkin farm
7) Floydada - Punkin' Days festival in October in Floyda
8) Abilene - Zoo

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

!!!

!!!

!!!

shake hand

And here's what's funny...what's in Lubbock? I ask because here it's all oil. Everything. There's not much for field trip ideas they haven't already seen. Though I was born in Texas (Fort Hood) I lived here very briefly and being an army brat I've been everywhere else LOL So if there's stuff there we would more than likely field trip that way. My kids are adventurers! And I desperately want to find some hs'ing moms to get together with! Not to be all over excited or whatever

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting usmom3:

That is ironic that the schools aren't teaching a subject that is forced on the homeschoolers to teach. I am in the Lubbock Texas aria, are you near here? There are a lot of homeschool groups, co-op classes & there are lots of sports teams for a variety of sports.

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM

It's heartbreaking and frightening...who will run our country? Who will discover medical advances? If even half of ps are anything like the one my children are stuck in...I want better...

anyways...

Quoting cjsmom1:

It sounds like hs would be a great thing for your kids. I can't believe their not learning social studies in school. Then again we're doing online public school and it's the first time he's learning social studies and science. The little girl across the street was in ds's class last year and is doing the same program. She's failing half het classes because of how horrible the schools here are.

westtxmomtobe
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Very nice! Lubbock is on the list, and I'll be checking out that group! Thanks a bunch!

Quoting usmom3:

We have a few things here! This is  list from the Lubbock Homeschool News Yahoo group (you should consider joining it, it is free & it will keep you up to date on field trips & other activities)

1) Ag in a Bag
2) Cowboy Symposium
3) Silent Wings Museum
4) Windmill Museum
5) Lubbock Lake Landmark
6) the Wind Research dept at Tech
7) Cactus Theater
8) Vietnam Center at Tech
9) Pedro's Tamales Factory
10) Local winery
11) Breedlove Dehydration Plant
12) Apple Country Apple Orchard
13) Ranching Heritage Center
14) Lubbock Symphony
15) TTU International Cultural Center
16) combine smaller things, such as the War Memorial, Music Walk of Fame, etc.
17) Plains Cotton Cooperative
18) the Plains Cooperative Oil Mill
19) a local cotton farmer
20) an organic garden coop
21) the organic dairy farm
22) the Science Spectrum
23) Safety City
24) the Maize
25) Texas Tech Museum
26) TTU Planetarium
27) Market Street
28) Airport
29) Krispy Kreme
30) TV Station
31) Aerocare
32) animal shelter
33) fire station
34) Prairie Dog Town
35) Buddy Holly Center
36) Legacy Village
37) Mrs. Bairds
38) Domino's Pizza
39) Orlando's
40) Dion's Pizza
41) cotton processing plant on East 50th street that is run 100% wind power
42) Stubbs skate park
43) Lubbock Landfill
44) Green Cattle Company
45) Lubbock Avalanche Journal
46) South Plains Food Bank
47) Texas Tech textile research department (Loop 289 and Acuff Rd)
48) various departments at Tech
49) local farrier shoeing
50) local stable or equestrian center, horse show
51) South Plains Fair

Around the area:

1) Post - Ragtown Gospel Theater
2) Crosbyton - Mt. Blanco Fossil Museum
3) Canyone - Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum in Canyon
4) Amarillo - Don Harrington Discovery Center in Amarillo - free admission for
Science Spectrum members
5) Amarillo - zoo
6) Floydada - Pumpkin farm
7) Floydada - Punkin' Days festival in October in Floyda
8) Abilene - Zoo

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

!!!

!!!

!!!

shake hand

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting usmom3:

cjsmom1
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I agree with you. It's scary to think about what will happen if we don't fix our education system.

Quoting westtxmomtobe:

It's heartbreaking and frightening...who will run our country? Who will discover medical advances? If even half of ps are anything like the one my children are stuck in...I want better...

anyways...

Quoting cjsmom1:

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:40 PM

I think this is it exactly

Quoting KickButtMama:

I've always been of the opinion that people poke at socialization because they get defensive. In the back of their mind they worry that by choosing a different path we are really saying they don't love nor care for their kids as much as we do.

Precious333
by Julia on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM
One of the reasons i insisted on not sending out child to ps.....they only had curriculum for math and social studies, everything else was left out.....everything!!!! I went to that school growing up, and now the focus is on teaching spanish (but only if you register in time for that class and they ask you to stay with it through 5th grade), in tha case the entire class is taught in spanish. Not to mention all the classes are overfilled.
QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to "Testing Towards the Test". They don't teach them because their bonuses, salaries, etc. only depend on what the government scores them on. And in the meantime our children suffer! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN