Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Please give me more reason to homeschool next year!!! (a west tx rant)

Posted by   + Show Post

This is one of those jaw dropping, there's no way, nu-uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh kinda things!!! I went to visit my 5th graders teacher to discuss our plans on homeschool next year, get a better handle on what she's covered this year, and what's anticipated for next. She happened to have the benchmark scores from the Texas required placement exams. As I peered over her shoulder at them she told me, oh nevermind the social studies score, theres a reason for that but oh look how wonderful all these scores are on math, reading, etc. Awesome my kids pretty dang smart! Now I know you said not to be concerned with the social studies, but why is it the score that it is? (70's the minimum to pass, my sons was a 40!!!!!) Oh, well we do teach them social studies but that subject isn't on the exam until a higher grade, so we just focus on the subjects that are.....

SAY WHAT?!?!?!?!?

So because the state isn't going to test them on it your not going to teach it? My son's had a proffessionally administered IQ test, he's smart, he learns amazingly fast, and HE scored a 40 on it? But oh he doesn't need to learn about that stuff yet? And here, make me more annoyed...as I've been reviewing the state laws here regarding homeschooling MY curriculum must contain "good citizenship" (basically social studies) but the masses aren't required to learn it?!?! UGH!!!!!

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Replies (21-22):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Lol, that's what my children's friends (who are public schooled) have been telling me for years.  It makes me glad my children aren't in their school but sad for those who are.  According to them hey go most of the year not doing certain subjects like Science and Social Studies/History because they aren't being tested that year on it.  It's insane and sad.

Sandy616
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I found the same thing last month when my kids switched schools. My 5th grader is failing social studies (he made straight a's in that subject last year) and I was told that social studies doesn't matter "so don't worry about it"!  I was shocked. I also found out that my county doesn't record scores lower than 50. Kids are slipping by with dismal grades so that teachers can keep their jobs. Then the child gets to high school or college and fails miserably. And people wonder why I'm considering homeschooling. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)