Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have you started planning for next year?

Posted by   + Show Post

I keep thinking that I should start planning some curriculum for next year.  But not sure, since this last half has been the start of our homeschooling experience.  I am hoping my schedule changes some, so I can have more flexibility with him and his work.  My husband has been great on that this year, and I feel like I am neglecting my duties since it was me who pushed to do this.  

Does anyone know of some fun interactive history and science programs for middle school age?  Right now we have barely touched it since we have been hs - and I know he loves those two subjects.  We have been really hitting Language since that is his weak point.  Would love to get him caught up in that subject, so any advice would be appreciated!  

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Replies (21-27):
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Okay. I have the teacher guides for 5th grade. I didn't know if you wanted them. By the time you need them they'll have upgraded I imagine. I'll keep my peepers peeled. I may come across something and if I do I'll let you know.
Quoting starbeck96:

1st and 10th

I was blessed that our pastor's wife gave me all of the teacher's stuff for free.  I was able to buy 2 workbooks for my 1st grader on Facebook and I was able to buy all but two subjects for the 10th graders (twins). 

I still have to get U.S. History for my 10th graders, but I am hoping to buy it ebay.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

What grade level do you need?

Quoting starbeck96:

I am nearly finished buying everything for next year.  I am headed to an Abeka meeting tomorrow to order the rest of our stuff (stuff I couldn't find on Ebay or anywhere else).

I use our tax money to buy so I have to start planning in February.

OFIH
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't started planning but I have started thinking about it, about what has worked, what hasn't, and where we are. Homeschool convention is in about 6 weeks so I have to start looking at what's next.

starbeck96
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

okay thank you. 

My pastor's wife had all teacher's stuff from K-12th.  There were a few here and there missing but that's ok.. Several stuff has already been updated, but thankfully I was able to find the edition I needed to work with what she gave me. 

She also nearly all the readers so I am so blessed.  There is also several boxes at our church that they said I am welcome to.  They were planning on sending it to missionaries overseas, but the shipping cost was not worth it.  So they all agreed that I could look and see if there is anything I can use. 

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Okay. I have the teacher guides for 5th grade. I didn't know if you wanted them. By the time you need them they'll have upgraded I imagine. I'll keep my peepers peeled. I may come across something and if I do I'll let you know.
Quoting starbeck96:

1st and 10th

I was blessed that our pastor's wife gave me all of the teacher's stuff for free.  I was able to buy 2 workbooks for my 1st grader on Facebook and I was able to buy all but two subjects for the 10th graders (twins). 

I still have to get U.S. History for my 10th graders, but I am hoping to buy it ebay.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

What grade level do you need?

Quoting starbeck96:

I am nearly finished buying everything for next year.  I am headed to an Abeka meeting tomorrow to order the rest of our stuff (stuff I couldn't find on Ebay or anywhere else).

I use our tax money to buy so I have to start planning in February.

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Praise the Lord for His provision. :)

earthy_dragon
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I plan on going to ours this year...  It will be my first!  YEAH!!!  

Quoting OFIH:

I haven't started planning but I have started thinking about it, about what has worked, what hasn't, and where we are. Homeschool convention is in about 6 weeks so I have to start looking at what's next.

OFIH
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I really like convention. I am a curriculum lover. I like being around others that are like minded (homeschoolers, no matter their reason). I like having the chance to see all my choices, listen to great speakers, and see some fun exhibits. This year is our first year we are bringing our kids. They are so excited to see the kids events they have set up. I always shop the room the first day, listen to as many speakers as I can (from those with topics I am interested in), speak to lots of vendors, and get tons of information. Then I go back to my hotel room, spread it all out in front of me, order room service (the only time I ever get room service at a hotel is at convention) and go through it all. I make my decisions (some are made ahead of time if I know I am going to continue with one specific curriculum choice for a subject). The next day I listen to more speakers and buy the things I want to buy. I often go back through the room and look at things at a more leisurely pace to see if there are any supplement type things I want to include.
Quoting earthy_dragon:

I plan on going to ours this year...  It will be my first!  YEAH!!!  

Quoting OFIH:

OFIH - Controller of chaos, laugher at children's antics, creator of messes, lover of God.
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I bought everything, math and history are still in the mail. This is the first year that I have picked out everything so early. 

No help on the Science/History, sorry. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)