Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

18 Reasons Why Doctors and Lawyers Homeschool Their Children

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
BJ
  • 16 Replies
6 moms liked this
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this

That is a very interesting article.  I particularly like the part about younger children learning from the older ones.  That is much like the old one room schoolhouse

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

I just got done reading this article and you are defintely right. It is a great article!  Thank you for posting it as well. Oh and I also left a comment too. :)  

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Good article.  Thanks for sharing.

URHonor
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! It's perfect reading g for my dh
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
katinahat
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:17 AM

What an excellent article! Love this :)

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I loved the article, thanks!

almondpigeon
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

love that article....i related to a lot of it.  especially driving the kids all over the city & younger kids learning from older ones.  my just turned 4 yo knows so much more than his older sister did at that age.  even the 2 yo jumps up on the table and "does school" with us.  it's neat that we all get to learn things together.  if i'm asked a question that i don't know the answer to, we all research it together and turn that in to a lesson. 

mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Loved it, except I didn't like that she just flat out said "Use whatever public school services you like." I don't know about classes, but HS kids cannot participate in any competitive activity at any OSSAA school in Oklahoma, which is most of the schools and definitely any school that has major sports, marching band, competitive choir, etc. It irritates me to no end because Em loves music and marching bands already, but if she wants to do that when she's old enough she's pretty much out of luck unless they change the rules.

CafeMom Tickers
mrs.hartman12
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:10 PM
Awe that's not cool! You still par taxes that support the ps. In Nevada where I live the schools have to allow hs you just have to pay the normal fees and physicals as required.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Loved it, except I didn't like that she just flat out said "Use whatever public school services you like." I don't know about classes, but HS kids cannot participate in any competitive activity at any OSSAA school in Oklahoma, which is most of the schools and definitely any school that has major apps, marching band, competitive choir, etc. It irritates me to no end because Em loves music and marching bands already, but if she wants to do that when she's old enough she's pretty much out of luck unless they change the rules.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mrs.miller89
by Sharayah on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I know! We would do everything required, it's just the eligibility requirements for OSSAA. You have to have a certain level of attendance and be passing all classes and they can't prove that for HSers. Of course we may not even be in Oklahoma when she gets to high school, so it may not be an issue!

Quoting mrs.hartman12:

Awe that's not cool! You still par taxes that support the ps. In Nevada where I live the schools have to allow hs you just have to pay the normal fees and physicals as required.

Quoting mrs.miller89:

Loved it, except I didn't like that she just flat out said "Use whatever public school services you like." I don't know about classes, but HS kids cannot participate in any competitive activity at any OSSAA school in Oklahoma, which is most of the schools and definitely any school that has major apps, marching band, competitive choir, etc. It irritates me to no end because Em loves music and marching bands already, but if she wants to do that when she's old enough she's pretty much out of luck unless they change the rules.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN