Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

O. M. G. I'm one of those people who is cursed to be the one to suffer every bad luck when it comes to service. This week I had my main email - through AT&T - deleted without any warning. I'm especially bummed since I used my email to back up my c-drive (kinda like iCloud is now), and I've had this email for about 12 years....so all old pictures, all my HS files, all my contacts...just...gone! Grrrrr. So part one of this post, is my gripe against AT&T, since when I tried to find out how to fix the deletion I was told "so sad, too bad" that if I PAID for email (and I don't know who does that but businesses anymore) then they could have fixed the problem, but because it was a free email my info was gone, and I couldn't even use the same address for 1 year....ggrrr 

second. Who do you have as an Internet provider? I recently cut out my cable bundle, so I just have the Internet but its still way more than I want to pay at $70/month. So I'm wondering...is that the norm now for DSL? 

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM
Replies (11-19):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Yeah the NetZero is about the same cost - the 4 Gig bites costs $49/month compared to the 5 gig bites at $55/month, and the hot spot itself cost me abut $50. My only complaint for it is its coverage area kinda blows, but I keep hoping it will widen the area. I thought I'd lose my marbles when we went to VT for a week last year and there is no WiFi in like that whole state - even in the capital! GULP! 

I know you're a techie, like me, and love the Netflix and such. So, you never run out of data? I guess I worried that the 4 G might not be enough what with 3 tv's, 1 laptop, 1 netbook, and 1 ipad...

Quoting kirbymom:

I use virgin mobile. I would only suggest for someone to buy it for personal use. We are a very, data using, family and they are not as great as they "say" they are. They are cheaper than most everyone else out there but then again, there are some small sacrifices to be that cheap too. I've been with them way longer than I would like but I am just way too cheap to shell out moneythat I know could be put to better use somewhere else. if you kwim? I checked into Net Zero and just can not justify spending that much money. I have been on the look out for about 2 years now and still am not satified with what I am coming up with as my answers. :(  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Which company mobile device do you have? I have a NetZero, but we use too much data for it to be economical, so I only use it when we are out and about, so I'll pay $20/month

Quoting kirbymom:

We do not have cable or satellite or even have a landline. All we have is a mobile device that we paid a one time $110 fee, for Internet and now only pay $40 a month for. 

almondpigeon
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:29 AM

we have a bundled service of internet, cable and landline phone from time warner cable.  i don't know how much just the internet is...the entire bill is around $150 a month.  in the past 5 years, though, we've switched back & forth from time warner & the local phone company for internet so i've never used their email.  i use a gmail account. i try to remember to back up photos & important info periodically, but i hardly ever get around to it.

jewel80
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I always use free email like gmail, yahoo, i never use my internet providers email. Just think something happens you cant or forget to pay your bill and you lose your email! I learned that the hard way.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Well, that is why I always buy what they call, their unlimited data plans, because we usually run pretty close to their best limited plan and what they do is slow down my speeds until I apply a fresh card to the account. As for how many pc's or tv's you have on the plan, that can slow down the signal that your original pc or tv is out putting. But, if you have a good quality model for a pc or a tv or you have a good quality signal in the first place, then the drain on the output from the pc or the tv, is minimal. I'm betting that you do not keep either your netbook or ipad hooked up constantly though, right?  And you wouldn't want to, since hackers can gain entrance even though you are not on the net. Had that happen to me once. My whole laptop was shutdown for a whole month because someone sent me a trojan through a back door entrance on a piggy back through a downloader. While I wasn't even on it. :(  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Yeah the NetZero is about the same cost - the 4 Gig bites costs $49/month compared to the 5 gig bites at $55/month, and the hot spot itself cost me abut $50. My only complaint for it is its coverage area kinda blows, but I keep hoping it will widen the area. I thought I'd lose my marbles when we went to VT for a week last year and there is no WiFi in like that whole state - even in the capital! GULP! 

I know you're a techie, like me, and love the Netflix and such. So, you never run out of data? I guess I worried that the 4 G might not be enough what with 3 tv's, 1 laptop, 1 netbook, and 1 ipad...

Quoting kirbymom:

I use virgin mobile. I would only suggest for someone to buy it for personal use. We are a very, data using, family and they are not as great as they "say" they are. They are cheaper than most everyone else out there but then again, there are some small sacrifices to be that cheap too. I've been with them way longer than I would like but I am just way too cheap to shell out moneythat I know could be put to better use somewhere else. if you kwim? I checked into Net Zero and just can not justify spending that much money. I have been on the look out for about 2 years now and still am not satified with what I am coming up with as my answers. :(  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Which company mobile device do you have? I have a NetZero, but we use too much data for it to be economical, so I only use it when we are out and about, so I'll pay $20/month

Quoting kirbymom:

We do not have cable or satellite or even have a landline. All we have is a mobile device that we paid a one time $110 fee, for Internet and now only pay $40 a month for. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Oh and the 4G isn't all that much/active anyways. Most states are still wiring up the 3G networks. lol  They are promoting like the 4G is already a done deal but that is not possible as it takes thousands of dollars to switch the technology over.   Only some places are fully functional 4G.   

Quoting kirbymom:

Well, that is why I always buy what they call, their unlimited data plans, because we usually run pretty close to their best limited plan and what they do is slow down my speeds until I apply a fresh card to the account. As for how many pc's or tv's you have on the plan, that can slow down the signal that your original pc or tv is out putting. But, if you have a good quality model for a pc or a tv or you have a good quality signal in the first place, then the drain on the output from the pc or the tv, is minimal. I'm betting that you do not keep either your netbook or ipad hooked up constantly though, right?  And you wouldn't want to, since hackers can gain entrance even though you are not on the net. Had that happen to me once. My whole laptop was shutdown for a whole month because someone sent me a trojan through a back door entrance on a piggy back through a downloader. While I wasn't even on it. :(  

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, with my cheaper device, it only works in a 4G area, which is one of the things I hate. I wish my device would pick up slower signals, but it just cuts off. ;(

Quoting kirbymom:

Oh and the 4G isn't all that much/active anyways. Most states are still wiring up the 3G networks. lol  They are promoting like the 4G is already a done deal but that is not possible as it takes thousands of dollars to switch the technology over.   Only some places are fully functional 4G.   

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting kirbymom:

Knightquester
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:52 PM

We have cable Internet which is faster than DSL.  We don't do cable tv or house phones, just our Internet that our over 6 computers in our house use (sometimes all will be in use at one time and on the Internet). 

We pay $75 a month for our cable Internet through a local company called Wave and I think our speeds  18Mb up 2Mb down.

charla_r
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:14 PM
We use Verizon FIOS. When we moved to this home we got a cable and internet package with them. Prior to the move we used comcast.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Shows what I know, I thought cable Internet and DSL were one and the same. Ours is cable, what we had with the bundle, we just got rid of the tv & phone

Quoting Knightquester:

We have cable Internet which is faster than DSL.  We don't do cable tv or house phones, just our Internet that our over 6 computers in our house use (sometimes all will be in use at one time and on the Internet). 

We pay $75 a month for our cable Internet through a local company called Wave and I think our speeds  18Mb up 2Mb down.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN