Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

do you ever get "burnt out" on homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

one of my biggest hangups on homeschooling is that as exciting as it sounds right now im scared to death if i go for it that i'll be into it for like 2 months or so and then be "so over it". what if i lose my motivation and then my kids have to suffer because "mommy can't get on the ball with things" ? does that kind of stuff happen? 

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I love what all the other Mom's have said.

Burn out happens in all parts of your life but you don't up & quit being a Mom, or Wife, you wouldn't up & quit your job if you where getting burned out. Homeschooling is no different then any other part of your life, you need a balance to it all!

lucsch
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Well,  first of all, we all get a little burned out. Then you recoup and go do it again. I do that with more than just homeschooling. I get tired of doing dishes or laundry, but I know I have to do it. So, some days, I take that day away from it.

Homeschooling is not a race. It is not a set path. You can define what school is, what your goals are for each child. You can be very interactive or be more of a facilitator. You can go between the two. Do whatever it takes.

We are reading the Little House books and have just started These Happy Golden Years. When Laura expresses concern if she is ready, at 15yo, to teach school, Pa reminds her:

"You've tackled every job that ever came your way...You never shirked, and you always stuck to it till you did what you set out to do. Success gets to be a habit, like anything else a fellow keeps on doing."

That is exactly how homeschooling works. You just keep doing it!

Mrs._Lovett
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

its kind of funny you say that, laura is my name, and laura ingalls is who i was named after. my mother loved her books and so do I :) now im reading all the other series like the caroline years and the rose years and etc.

Quoting lucsch:

Well,  first of all, we all get a little burned out. Then you recoup and go do it again. I do that with more than just homeschooling. I get tired of doing dishes or laundry, but I know I have to do it. So, some days, I take that day away from it.

Homeschooling is not a race. It is not a set path. You can define what school is, what your goals are for each child. You can be very interactive or be more of a facilitator. You can go between the two. Do whatever it takes.

We are reading the Little House books and have just started These Happy Golden Years. When Laura expresses concern if she is ready, at 15yo, to teach school, Pa reminds her:

"You've tackled every job that ever came your way...You never shirked, and you always stuck to it till you did what you set out to do. Success gets to be a habit, like anything else a fellow keeps on doing."

That is exactly how homeschooling works. You just keep doing it!

CafeMom Tickers
bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 11:58 PM

When we start feeling burnt out, we take a break for a day or two.  We are ready for warm weather so that we can get outside, as soon as we have some warm days we are taking Fridays off for a few weeks.  

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

IMO, PS takes a lot of breaks - winter, spring, summer. Most HS'ers don't take those breaks. Some even school year round so that they are able to take a break whenever they choose (and it keeps the hours/day down as well). 

Have I ever gotten burnt out? IDK, I don't think so. Generally I know if something isn't working and I try to find another way - which means no battle, ergo no burning out. But if I'm not in the mood for school that day, then we don't do school. No problem. Honestly, I think I'd get burt out PS'ing way more since you don't have the flexibility you do with HS.

almondpigeon
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:17 AM

i think we all get burnt out.  when i feel overwhelmed and burnt out, i try to figure out why.  most of the time, it's because i'm trying to stick to an unrealistic schedule or there's a lot of outside stressors that are beyond my control.  usually, i try to tweak my schedule, totally do something different or just take a day (or week) off.  right now, i'm having a lot of family drama and our usual schedule just isn't working.  this week, we're reading a cute history book and an astronomy book & that's it.  i'm taking next week off for "spring break".  the great thing about homeschooling is you control the schedule.  if you're burnt out, you have complete control to change what's not working or to take a break. good luck mama!

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:26 AM

YES, YES, YES it happens to me BUT my kids are my motivation. I don't want to let them down so I make sure I stay on top of everything. Being organized is something (if you are not) you have to be IMO.  

When I feel like one of us are going to blow I stop. When someone is getting frustrated and it's just been a long day it's time for a break even if we just stop working for the day and go bake something or watch TV. Do something to unwind and we all feel better. That's the benefit of home schooling you can make up your day you can start and stop when you want. If something doesn't work start over, keep looking and trying things until you find something that works.  Don't start doubting yourself now. Believe you can do it and believe that you will eventually have some issues but you will be able to get through them...together.

Christine0813
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Sure do. That is why we're taking a break right now.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:34 AM
I do the same. I stress out because I try to fit everything in when it's just not possible sometimes. I have to stop and see what isn't working, there is always a reason why it's not working and I need to remember when I try to fit it all in that I may run into problems and that's ok at least I recognized that and deal with it. I love that about home schooling.
Quoting almondpigeon:

i think we all get burnt out.  when i feel overwhelmed and burnt out, i try to figure out why.  most of the time, it's because i'm trying to stick to an unrealistic schedule or there's a lot of outside stressors that are beyond my control.  usually, i try to tweak my schedule, totally do something different or just take a day (or week) off.  right now, i'm having a lot of family drama and our usual schedule just isn't working.  this week, we're reading a cute history book and an astronomy book & that's it.  i'm taking next week off for "spring break".  the great thing about homeschooling is you control the schedule.  if you're burnt out, you have complete control to change what's not working or to take a break. good luck mama!

almondpigeon
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:39 AM

yep.  it's hard for me because i'm a "follow the schedule" kind of girl.  learning to be spontaneous is the probably the hardest part for me.  here lately, we've been doing a lot of work on saturdays when my husband is home to help with the other kids.  that works really well for us.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I do the same. I stress out because I try to fit everything in when it's just not possible sometimes. I have to stop and see what isn't working, there is always a reason why it's not working and I need to remember when I try to fit it all in that I may run into problems and that's ok at least I recognized that and deal with it. I love that about home schooling.
Quoting almondpigeon:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)