Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The ex will let him homeschool but is sure to battle about curriculum. Help!

Posted by   + Show Post
So.... the ex has officially agreed to allow DS to homeschool next year. We will be sitting down together with DS sometime over the next week to discuss curriculum and what we both see as guidelines. This is all good. But I am feeling SO stressed and overwhelmed. 4 y/o DD has been 'doing' homeschool here since January and after a few trials and errors, we have discovered CLE and LOVE it. She is thriving! We only add AlphaPhonics and A Reason for Handwriting (both for extra practice and both of which she totally enjoys). And in seeing all of this come together for her, I feel very apprehensive in trying to get it all together for DS - with the restrictions and compulsive controlling watchfullness that will likely come from his father. I can hear it now. Rule 1 will be no religion should be involved in any way. Rule 2 will be that we must follow the exact standards and scope and sequence set forth by the state so that should he have to return to school for 5th grade he won't have any gaps. And I am sure it will go on from there. That throws CLE completely out the window - as well as most other curricula that I may have considered. I am going to be forced to set it all up piece by piece, justifying each decision all along the way. I really don't want to have to go into teaching him in a way that I don't feel is in his best interest just to compromise with the ex - again. This is primarily a vent so thanks for listening but if anyone has any words of wisdom, I am all ears.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Daisypath Halloween tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersDaisypath Christmas tickersDaisypath Valentines tickers
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Replies (11-11):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:39 PM

That IS very stressful.

Just remember that he cannot legally force you not to instruct your child IN religion, even if he can restrict religious material in the homeschool curriculum - so just "tack on" religion, "outside" of "school" hours. KWIM? Get a separate, non integrated, religion program (we're Catholic, for example, and generally use secular materials ADDING IN religion via Faith and Life or similar catechism).

Good luck!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN