Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

UGH!!! I'm at a loss...

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
  • 32 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son does well with A Beka curriculum ... so far. However, the math is REALLY fast moving. I'm not that great in math either. :( They introduce a new concept and only do it for maybe a page or half a page. Then the rest is review of 3 even 4 past concepts learned. They call it review. I understand that but my son, who has mild aspergers, cannot handle the jumping around from concept to concept. Is there a good math curriculum out there that spends a few days on a new concept before moving onto a new one?? And, if you've used A Beka in the past and changed to a new curriculum would you please share with me what you've changed to? Thanks guys!
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My son seems similar to yours. We used the Kumon method. They say it was not intended as a substitute but we love it. He can focus on one skill set at a time. The workboojs are super cheap too!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM

BUMP!

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Thanks Queen! I'll go look into it! I really appreciate all y'all and your input. It's priceless.

lucsch
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 8:27 PM
2 moms liked this

My dd likes spiral or incremental math (we use CLE). We used to use a mastery approach with Rod & Staff math, but that was driving her to really hate math. So, we went the opposite direction. Funny, we were using R&S, but I decided to "test" how she would like a different approach by supplementing with an old leftover aBeka workbook. She loved it, so I knew I wanted to switch. I didn't go to aBeka, though, as I wanted something that had all of the instruction in the student book...thus our switch to CLE (Christian Light Education).

So, I suggest R&S or Math-U-See for mastery.

irvinehiker
by Andrea on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:24 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like you need more of a mastery approach instead of spiral.  Math U See is an excellent hands on mastery program.

QueenCreole313
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:33 AM
2 moms liked this

I know everyone does things differently, but I wanted to share what we've been doing my son. (He's a mild aspie w/ adhd and anxiety) But anywho, we use mainly Kumon workbooks and KhanAcademy. Sometimes we use Time4Learning.com to learn concepts. 

We focus on one skillset at a time. Right now we are finishing up a unit on multiplication and division. Next month will be Fractions and Decimals. We like it because he was confusing his math symbols and rules before we started this. Also, it allows him to gain more indepth knowledge of math. Good luck! 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:24 AM

I highly recommend something like www.khanacademy.org and www.AAAMath.com as a reinforcement to his lessons. My eldest has Aspergers as well. The visual nature of these websites, in conjunction with ipad apps, has completely revolutionized his HS. My DS gets high levels of anxiety with worksheets or any practice that has multiple equations on it. So these websites, which have single equation practices, have really helped. That way you can stay with ABeka, and not spend any more $$ 

almondpigeon
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

my daughter's math books do the same thing.  i felt like it was jumping around too much.  i mentioned it to my sister & she said her son's public school's math curriculum worked the same way.  thankfully, math is my dd's strong point so we haven't had an issue, but it wouldn't work for me if i were the one learning.  i think i would probably find websites to supplement each lesson or even make your "worksheets".  last year, we finished her math texts way before the end of the school year, so every morning, i would literally use a piece of paper & pen and make worksheets for the day.  by the end of the year, she was designing her own sheets.

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Queen, it sounds like our boys have a LOT in common! Thank you so much.  All of you!  He's getting a tablet for his birthday and I'm excited to let him use it. :)  For now, we're choosing 'review' problems for him and not making him do them all. He actually did quite well that way!

Hugs! to you all!!!

Quoting QueenCreole313:

I know everyone does things differently, but I wanted to share what we've been doing my son. (He's a mild aspie w/ adhd and anxiety) But anywho, we use mainly Kumon workbooks and KhanAcademy. Sometimes we use Time4Learning.com to learn concepts. 

We focus on one skillset at a time. Right now we are finishing up a unit on multiplication and division. Next month will be Fractions and Decimals. We like it because he was confusing his math symbols and rules before we started this. Also, it allows him to gain more indepth knowledge of math. Good luck! 

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

YES! You ladies are such a big help. I'm a person who can understand and FEEL somone's situation and ACT accordingly to help them but you've put into words what I could not.

Spiral math is a term I was not familiar with. However, the high anxiety you mentioned... YES! He turns the page over and sees all those problems of various types and it's meltdown city! And those speed drills... forget about it!

I will be making notes on all this that you've mentioned and will be working on how to implement them next year. You have given me hope. :) 

Thanks again all!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I highly recommend something like www.khanacademy.org and www.AAAMath.com as a reinforcement to his lessons. My eldest has Aspergers as well. The visual nature of these websites, in conjunction with ipad apps, has completely revolutionized his HS. My DS gets high levels of anxiety with worksheets or any practice that has multiple equations on it. So these websites, which have single equation practices, have really helped. That way you can stay with ABeka, and not spend any more $$ 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN