Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
My son does well with A Beka curriculum ... so far. However, the math is REALLY fast moving. I'm not that great in math either. :( They introduce a new concept and only do it for maybe a page or half a page. Then the rest is review of 3 even 4 past concepts learned. They call it review. I understand that but my son, who has mild aspergers, cannot handle the jumping around from concept to concept. Is there a good math curriculum out there that spends a few days on a new concept before moving onto a new one?? And, if you've used A Beka in the past and changed to a new curriculum would you please share with me what you've changed to? Thanks guys!
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LostInLove2002:

my son, who has mild aspergers, cannot handle the jumping around from concept to concept. Is there a good math curriculum out there that spends a few days on a new concept before moving onto a new one??

Have you looked into Singapore Math? I've not used Abeka, but Singapore will introduce something (like, say, long division), and then you have a LOT of pages devoted to long division. They only go back to a 'review' once in awhile - infrequently. It wasn't a good fit for my daughter, who actually likes to do various different things and was getting really burned out on just doing so much division (or fractions, or whatever) in a row - but if your son would prefer to just do one thing for days, I think Singapore could be a good fit.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:57 AM
What grade age.or level
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This talks about spiral vs masteryfor homeschool highscool, and gives the author's opinion on which is better (which is irrelavant to me sharing the link), but it gives a general idea between spiral learning in math vs mastery.   http://www.candlestarservices.com/articles/spiralmastery.pdf
My kids learn better with the mastery approach. Math U See is a mastery based progam we use and have enjoyed

Quoting LostInLove2002:

YES! You ladies are such a big help. I'm a person who can understand and FEEL somone's situation and ACT accordingly to help them but you've put into words what I could not.

Spiral math is a term I was not familiar with. However, the high anxiety you mentioned... YES! He turns the page over and sees all those problems of various types and it's meltdown city! And those speed drills... forget about it!

I will be making notes on all this that you've mentioned and will be working on how to implement them next year. You have given me hope. :) 

Thanks again all!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I highly recommend something like www.khanacademy.org and www.AAAMath.com as a reinforcement to his lessons. My eldest has Aspergers as well. The visual nature of these websites, in conjunction with ipad apps, has completely revolutionized his HS. My DS gets high levels of anxiety with worksheets or any practice that has multiple equations on it. So these websites, which have single equation practices, have really helped. That way you can stay with ABeka, and not spend any more $$ 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:26 PM

He's 10 in the 5th grade.

Quoting motheroffour186:

What grade age.or level

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:31 PM
You're the second person to recommend Math U See. :)
Quoting No_Difference:

This talks about spiral vs masteryfor homeschool highscool, and gives the author's opinion on which is better (which is irrelavant to me sharing the link), but it gives a general idea between spiral learning in math vs mastery.   http://www.candlestarservices.com/articles/spiralmastery.pdf
My kids learn better with the mastery approach. Math U See is a mastery based progam we use and have enjoyed

Quoting LostInLove2002:

YES! You ladies are such a big help. I'm a person who can understand and FEEL somone's situation and ACT accordingly to help them but you've put into words what I could not.

Spiral math is a term I was not familiar with. However, the high anxiety you mentioned... YES! He turns the page over and sees all those problems of various types and it's meltdown city! And those speed drills... forget about it!

I will be making notes on all this that you've mentioned and will be working on how to implement them next year. You have given me hope. :) 

Thanks again all!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I highly recommend something like www.khanacademy.org and www.AAAMath.com as a reinforcement to his lessons. My eldest has Aspergers as well. The visual nature of these websites, in conjunction with ipad apps, has completely revolutionized his HS. My DS gets high levels of anxiety with worksheets or any practice that has multiple equations on it. So these websites, which have single equation practices, have really helped. That way you can stay with ABeka, and not spend any more $$ 

calimom1123
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:51 PM
For that grade I would recommend ACE. We did abeka k-3 and dd did great but it was getting repetitive and moving quickly toward the end. We switched to bju which is alot better! It is spiral too but doesnt move as fast. We are most likely going to switch to ACE next year because I really want dd to get her facts down solid without hopping to something else. She tends to forget what she learned if its not practiced alot. ACE in the older elmentary is really good at teaching in the book itself so it makes it easier for all of us. Dd is going into 5th but tested at about 6th for ace. I put her where she tests not grade level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM
I am sorry what lesson is he working

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Quoting motheroffour186:

What grade age.or level

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:52 PM

What a God thing!

I googled "Christian homeschool curriculum from a mastery perspective."  I was curious what it'd bring up and sure enough... ACE. I was on the phone with them earlier and am printing off the math and language tests now. 

Did you test for all 5 subjects?

Quoting calimom1123:

For that grade I would recommend ACE. We did abeka k-3 and dd did great but it was getting repetitive and moving quickly toward the end. We switched to bju which is alot better! It is spiral too but doesnt move as fast. We are most likely going to switch to ACE next year because I really want dd to get her facts down solid without hopping to something else. She tends to forget what she learned if its not practiced alot. ACE in the older elmentary is really good at teaching in the book itself so it makes it easier for all of us. Dd is going into 5th but tested at about 6th for ace. I put her where she tests not grade level.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I am sorry what lesson is he working

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Quoting motheroffour186:

What grade age.or level

calimom1123
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:56 PM
Its been a few months since I tested her so we will retest at the end of the school year. She tested for word building,math and english. She did Ace ss and science this year and I just started her at 5th since she tested at 7th for word building. That was a perfect fit. The updated science and ss are good! Word building she did 6th grade paces starting mid year. Bju was just lists and I wanted her to know definitions. I think the test is pretty accurate about where they are.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

What a God thing!

I googled "Christian homeschool curriculum from a mastery perspective."  I was curious what it'd bring up and sure enough... ACE. I was on the phone with them earlier and am printing off the math and language tests now. 

Did you test for all 5 subjects?

Quoting calimom1123:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)