Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son does well with A Beka curriculum ... so far. However, the math is REALLY fast moving. I'm not that great in math either. :( They introduce a new concept and only do it for maybe a page or half a page. Then the rest is review of 3 even 4 past concepts learned. They call it review. I understand that but my son, who has mild aspergers, cannot handle the jumping around from concept to concept. Is there a good math curriculum out there that spends a few days on a new concept before moving onto a new one?? And, if you've used A Beka in the past and changed to a new curriculum would you please share with me what you've changed to? Thanks guys!
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Okay. I'm lost. What are you asking?? LOL  What kind of work is he doing? 

Quoting motheroffour186:

I am sorry what lesson is he working

Quoting LostInLove2002:

He's 10 in the 5th grade.

Quoting motheroffour186:

What grade age.or level

LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Calimom...

I haven't done all the math and language but I did cover the reading.  Girl, he passed 9th grade!! 80%. But,at the 10 grade level he hit a wall. :) 

I explained how it worked to him and he busted out laughing and said, "How much you wanna bet I get kindergarten in math?!" Hahahaha. Well, at least he's keeping it real and has a good sense of humor about it. :)

I'll let you know where he tests. Although he's not through with 5th grade yet I think I can guage where he needs to be.

This is such an exciting time for me. So many answers and revelations!

Thanks for being a part of it and helping me out everyone!

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Yes

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Okay. I'm lost. What are you asking?? LOL  What kind of work is he doing? 

Quoting motheroffour186:

I am sorry what lesson is he working

Quoting LostInLove2002:

He's 10 in the 5th grade.

Quoting motheroffour186:

What grade age.or level

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh okay. :)

He's working on fractions. I mean ALL OF IT. adding, subtracting, multiplying...

then they brought in decimals and percentages. UGH!  Poor kid.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:20 PM
We learned fractions Kmart we cooked eggs.how many eggs in a cartoon we watched movies on fractions i look on netflix. I would test him over and see what he need help with look that part on the internet.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

Oh okay. :)

He's working on fractions. I mean ALL OF IT. adding, subtracting, multiplying...

then they brought in decimals and percentages. UGH!  Poor kid.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I just keep going over something until they understand then move on.  I too use ABeka.  I have used it for 20 yrs.

coala
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I am curious about what grade you are referencing?  We are in our 2nd year of Abeka.  They use a LOT of spiral approach with their phonics and math.  My oldest who struggles with most things seems to be doing well with it in the math.  She does do well with the speed drills.  I was curious if this continues past where we are working.

Quoting LostInLove2002:

YES! You ladies are such a big help. I'm a person who can understand and FEEL somone's situation and ACT accordingly to help them but you've put into words what I could not.

Spiral math is a term I was not familiar with. However, the high anxiety you mentioned... YES! He turns the page over and sees all those problems of various types and it's meltdown city! And those speed drills... forget about it!

I will be making notes on all this that you've mentioned and will be working on how to implement them next year. You have given me hope. :) 

Thanks again all!!!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I highly recommend something like www.khanacademy.org and www.AAAMath.com as a reinforcement to his lessons. My eldest has Aspergers as well. The visual nature of these websites, in conjunction with ipad apps, has completely revolutionized his HS. My DS gets high levels of anxiety with worksheets or any practice that has multiple equations on it. So these websites, which have single equation practices, have really helped. That way you can stay with ABeka, and not spend any more $$ 

Summerlion1123
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I was going to say Math U See too.

Quoting irvinehiker:

Sounds like you need more of a mastery approach instead of spiral.  Math U See is an excellent hands on mastery program.

haskins46563
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:15 AM

We use math mammoth. It is one lesson on a topic then the topics build on each other in each chapter. My son hated spiral programs and loves math mammoth. You can get a great price on the PDF version of grades 1-6 for one price at the homeschool buyers co-op right now. I purchased the light blue version only and it's been great for my 1st and 3rd grader. Plus it saves a ton of money since you get all the books for one price. Here's a link but its only good up until April 1st

https://www.homeschoolbuyersco-op.org/math-mammoth/?c=1

lifesadream83
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Math u see
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)