Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son does well with A Beka curriculum ... so far. However, the math is REALLY fast moving. I'm not that great in math either. :( They introduce a new concept and only do it for maybe a page or half a page. Then the rest is review of 3 even 4 past concepts learned. They call it review. I understand that but my son, who has mild aspergers, cannot handle the jumping around from concept to concept. Is there a good math curriculum out there that spends a few days on a new concept before moving onto a new one?? And, if you've used A Beka in the past and changed to a new curriculum would you please share with me what you've changed to? Thanks guys!
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM
Replies (31-32):
TxMommyOfBoys
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:30 AM
We use life of fred & LOVE it:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
celticdragon77
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

There is a series called "keys to". They have a set of workbooks for each math concept; such as "keys to algebra" (as well as others). They are cheap and easy to use. It starts with the most basic of the skill and works thoroughly into the more complex. It is an excellent supplement. I bought them for my oldest daughter when she was in public school because they used a spiral method. She simply wasn't grasping the concepts well enough. All three of my kids (and myself) best learn math with a mastery based approach. They are black and white and not colorful or hands on. However, they are short lessons that really do an excellent job of mastering the skill. I even used them to freshen up my own math skills. 

I don't know how old your kids are - but if they are younger, I have a suggestion; I had a lot of math manipulatives and games for my oldest daughter. I allowed my younger two to play with them as often as they liked - which was actually quite a bit. I would sit down and do very mini play lessons when they were young. Grouping items into ones, fives, tens, etc. I had plastic colorful worms they measured. I had magnetic fraction manipulatives (as well as other fraction toys and games) that I would explain (by play) very basic skills of. I had the, help cook and measure in the kitchen - and make a point of showing some basic math skills. --- Some times I had no idea if the concepts were even sticking with them. There were plenty of times they interrupted to ask completely random things and seemed distracted from what we were doing. I always kept the activity short, but completed them. --- now fast forward a few years; 3rd and 4th graders who excel at math. They each had the same teacher for 3rd grade - and this year, the teacher commented on how she had never seen students master math with such speed and ease. She was curious if I had been really good at math. I laughed and said no, but explained what I had done when they were young. She said that she believes that I was able create an early concrete understanding of math concepts thru this early childhood play. Montessori uses a very similar method and is easily done at home. They sell a lot of manipulatives and such for these activities - but most are easily adapted for very low costs with every day objects around the house.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)