Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not Sure How To Title This

Posted by   + Show Post

Especially For The New Home Educator
Many starting home school for the first time are bombarded by naysayers, and are filled with their own doubts.  But home educators tend to be a wonderful support group.  Having experienced those same difficult beginnings, we tend to walk hand in hand...shoulder to shoulder  providing encouragement, and assistance for one another.   The following links are especially for the newbies whom we value and appreciate. 
When faced with the socialization question, here is a good one:  Socialization: Homeschoolers Are In The Real World

Home Schooling High Schoolers
Many parents feel intimidated with homeschooling the high school years.  But there is a lot more support for families in this area now.  Many State Home School Associations provide graduation Ceremonies, and 42 States offer Dual Enrollment.  Dual Enrollment allows students to home school and attend college (for free until they turn 18). My Grandson is doing this, and loves it. His Mom is taking some classes at the same Community College, so they ride together...kind of neat. However some highschoolers choose online college courses from the comfort of their home.

How To Home School has a whole section on how to home school the high school student (towards the bottom of the page) 

How To Become A More Effective Educator
The Conventional Method used in public schools is left brain teaching, and is effective with about 45% of the children .  However, by involving as many of the senses in the learning process as possible, one is able to reach 90%, and all the learning styles.  This method is especially effective with "hands on learners", "analytical children", those with ADHD, and many with learning disabilities. Studies show that children learn faster, retain more, stress is reduced, drop out rates decrease by 90%, and the kids love it.  If you want to learn more about how to implement this fun and exciting method into your education, the following article is for you: 

The U.S. once had the best education in the world.  People came from all over the world to learn here.  This Country has now fallen to the middle range, and Finland now demonstrates the best education in the world.  Interestingly enough this article gives some insight into what happened, and even some insight into why home schooled children are outperforming their public schooled counterparts.
American Schools Failing: Not Finland's, Why? (Also gives validation to our teachers who are often blamed or things they have little control over)

Understanding The Constitution
Because word meanings have changed from the time of our Founding Fathers, many people read it but do not understand it. This article gives insight into  some of the most misunderstood ones (The Welfare Clause, and The Commerce Clause).  It also provides links to the Federalist Papers, and a fun new game that will help you teach the Constitution to your children. 

Work Boxes
Work Boxes can be made similar to Play Stations.  The following home school mom uses Work Boxes, and explains how she uses them. 

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 6:00 AM
Replies (11-19):
blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
I know!!! I don't mean to put down PS. PS is for certain people just like HS is. But now that I do HS I see the BIG difference between PS kids and my girls. I didn't like what was happening to my girls personality when they were in PS.
Quoting romacox:

When you said your oldest acts like her PS friends  when they come over, and what you say to her, I laughed.  That is so funny.

When I tutor kids from PS, I get the same thing.  They are  routinely  given multiple choice questions in school which punishes any ability to think analytically...have a different view point, and get a bad grade....no questions asked. 

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Exactly! I've noticed that my oldest daughter's, which is 10, friends can't make up their mind. Even over the simplest questions. I always get "ummm I don't know" but her HS friends have no problem making up their minds. It is really strange how different it is between kids who have been in PS from K and up, and kids who have not been in PS at all. We have some that have been in PS then switched to HS, like we did, and they seem to be able to make decisions quicker than kids who have only been in PS. My oldest seems to "act" like her PS friends when they come over. I'll get the "ummmm I don't know" for a few days after they leave, it's very annoying! I tell her that if I wanted her to act like that I would have left her in PS! That's about the only thing I don't like about having friends from PS over. Some of the bad habits that come with them rub off on my girls.
Quoting KickButtMama:

I've always said that. Where else in life will you only be surrounded by your socio-economic peers within a specific age range. Where else are you not allowed to make independant decisions about yout own work and even personal things like image or even potty time. I've always said HS kids experience much more what it is like to live in the real world than PS kids. Heck, most HS kids are way more prep'd for college - where they have to choose their course of study (something else neglected in PS), and have to handle the fact that there isn't someone making all those little choices of time management like that had in PS. They have to be somewhat self-reliant. WHich is one of the reasons so many kids go wild their first few years of college, I believe. They go from regimented living to completely Non-regimented. I don't know how any of them do it successfully!

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I love this!!

"Academically homeschoolers have generally excelled, but some critics have continued to challenge them on an apparent "lack of socialization" or "isolation from the world." Often there is a charge that homeschoolers are not learning how to live in the "real world." However, a closer look at public school training shows that it is actually public school children who are not living in the real world."

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000068.asp

oredeb
by debbie on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

wow great sites roma! yea and not just for beginnners!

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

blueyedbaker,  I was much like your oldest daughter.  I listen so intently to what others were saying, that I often picked up the feelings that went with what they were saying.  I was told that my voice, accent and choice of words even sounded like whomever I was around.   It wasn't intentional...it just happened.

Quoting blueyedbker:

I know!!! I don't mean to put down PS. PS is for certain people just like HS is. But now that I do HS I see the BIG difference between PS kids and my girls. I didn't like what was happening to my girls personality when they were in PS.
Quoting romacox:

When you said your oldest acts like her PS friends  when they come over, and what you say to her, I laughed.  That is so funny.

When I tutor kids from PS, I get the same thing.  They are  routinely  given multiple choice questions in school which punishes any ability to think analytically...have a different view point, and get a bad grade....no questions asked. 

Quoting blueyedbaker:

Exactly! I've noticed that my oldest daughter's, which is 10, friends can't make up their mind. Even over the simplest questions. I always get "ummm I don't know" but her HS friends have no problem making up their minds. It is really strange how different it is between kids who have been in PS from K and up, and kids who have not been in PS at all. We have some that have been in PS then switched to HS, like we did, and they seem to be able to make decisions quicker than kids who have only been in PS. My oldest seems to "act" like her PS friends when they come over. I'll get the "ummmm I don't know" for a few days after they leave, it's very annoying! I tell her that if I wanted her to act like that I would have left her in PS! That's about the only thing I don't like about having friends from PS over. Some of the bad habits that come with them rub off on my girls.
Quoting KickButtMama:

I've always said that. Where else in life will you only be surrounded by your socio-economic peers within a specific age range. Where else are you not allowed to make independant decisions about yout own work and even personal things like image or even potty time. I've always said HS kids experience much more what it is like to live in the real world than PS kids. Heck, most HS kids are way more prep'd for college - where they have to choose their course of study (something else neglected in PS), and have to handle the fact that there isn't someone making all those little choices of time management like that had in PS. They have to be somewhat self-reliant. WHich is one of the reasons so many kids go wild their first few years of college, I believe. They go from regimented living to completely Non-regimented. I don't know how any of them do it successfully!

Quoting blueyedbaker:

I love this!!

"Academically homeschoolers have generally excelled, but some critics have continued to challenge them on an apparent "lack of socialization" or "isolation from the world." Often there is a charge that homeschoolers are not learning how to live in the "real world." However, a closer look at public school training shows that it is actually public school children who are not living in the real world."

http://www.hslda.org/docs/nche/000000/00000068.asp

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this

How about Homeschooling Effectiveness??   Would that be an okay title? 

Quoting KickButtMama:

Huh, I wouldn't know how to title it either.... Common Questions maybe :) 

Great overview!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM
2 moms liked this

What a great article Roma!  And who cares about not having a title. Sometimes a post is so good you really don't need a title anyways. :)  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Great
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

You brighten my day. 

Quoting kirbymom:

What a great article Roma!  And who cares about not having a title. Sometimes a post is so good you really don't need a title anyways. :)  

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Good! I love doing that. :)    

Quoting romacox:

You brighten my day. 

Quoting kirbymom:

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting blueyedbaker:

I am so glad you have offered a good example of this. I argued with XH that ODS's years-long habit of waffling over simple decisions and seeming foundlessness was rooted in PS. It used to drive me right up the wall at warp speed! I would tell him, "You're a genius! I have written proof that you are smarter than this! Do something! Get motivated! Take initiative!" Phew! I'm so glad he seems to have shaken off most of it. I think PS indoctrination is far more damaging to motivation and self-sufficiency than we will ever know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)