Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum Options

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
  • 3 Replies
So now the search for curriculum options for DS begins.... CLE has worked SO well and SO comfortably for our DD and our lifestyle that I do hate to leave it in order to find a secular option for DS. We will certainly continue with it for our youngest two, but because the religious aspect is so embedded within the full curriculum, I can't really tease it out and make it secular for DS. Does anyone know of a curriculum that is structured similarly to CLE yet is either secular or easily secular-ized? If not: Does anyone know of a history curriculum for 4th grade? In our state, 4th grade is spent focusing on local and state history as well as exploration through western expansion. Does anyone know of a strong text (not computer or dvd) based math program for 4th grade? I had been considering Singapore but really disliked it when we used it for DD so I am trying to find other options. DS is VERY strong in math and really enjoys it. Does anyone have any good science recommendations for 4th grade science? DS has an interest in doing experiments in addition to learning through texts of some sort. If there is no complete curriculum-in-a-box that works for us, the only curricula I feel pretty confident in choosing (and that I think the ex will agree to) is Michael Clay Thompson for ELA. All suggestions are very welcome!

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Daisypath Halloween tickersDaisypath Thanksgiving tickersDaisypath Christmas tickersDaisypath Valentines tickers
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 12:47 PM

My ideal, secular, fourth grade curriculum would look like this:

History: Story of the World w/activit;y guide (this is world history; I know nothing about state history programs)

Math: Horizons - spiral like CLE, but you CAN secularize this!

Literature: Mosdos

Grammar: First Language Lessons

Writing: Writing With Ease *or* IEW

Science: Mr. Q's Life Science (free)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Have you looked into http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/  ?  There are curiculum reviews and many options that Ihad not heard of before. 

URHonor
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I'm so overwhelmed! She's going to be in second grade next year and I've never done this before. I'm on a tight budget so I don't want to get to crazy just yet.  She does work very well and appreciates a structured way of learning so I'd like something that comes with premade lesson plans that I could just follow. What do you recommend and where do I buy it? Thanks

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN