Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Music is in the air! (piog)

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
2 moms liked this

It's been a great day for musical advancement in our house. LOL

The piano tuner came today and tuned our piano. It had been 2 years! When my music major son lived at home, it had to be tuned every 6 months. I didn't realize it had been so long, but only my dd10 plays it much any more. It sounds so sweet now! Yay!

In a box from USPS came my dd10's flute. Yes, I admit it. I bought a flute off of ebay. I don't recommend it unless you really know your instrument, but this turned out to be a really good deal. The flute was in much better condition than I expected. Even the pads seem in great shape!

I've been waiting for years to be able to teach my own daughter flute. This was an exciting day for both of us! I hope to get her to a point where we can join a community band together in a few years.

So, I'll be teaching her both piano and flute now. It takes a ton of patience on my part, oddly, unlike teaching other subjects.

What you do for music instruction in your home? Do you outsource it or teach it yourself or skip it altogether?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Hooray!! Don'tchya just love when your child gets all excited about something that your excited about? Makes it seem so much more special. :)   

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM

My hubby is a self taught musician & music is a big thing in our house. We don't study it though we discus it & listen to it & talk about it, it is just part of our lives! 

charla_r
by Member on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM
My daughter takes piano lessons weekly but we also sing a lot together here at home.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM

all the kids play a few instruments, the only thing i could teach a little bit was the guitar, so some of our friends in our church oftered to teach the kids as they grew up, so they play the drums, bass, guitar, mandolin, violin, piano/keyboard, harmonica, we always had a piano or keyboard in the house so they all know that, as they were learning it they also choose another instrument to learn, what i really like is they still play them today, so i think its very worth teaching some kinda instrument when the kids are younger! even if they dont like it! when they are older it will come in handy!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I played flute in school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:12 AM
That's really cool. I'll be sending LO over for lessons in just a minute. LOL.

We have recorders, all kinds of drums, maracas, castanets, a ukelele, guitars, keyboards, and a tambourine in our collection, and we all sing in this house, but no one knows how to really play an instrument. DH and I have talked about it at length, and we've decided to start LO on piano when it looks like he is ready to take instruction and sit still for a little while.
lucsch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM

It can be frustrating finding teachers in my area. I had two different piano teachers for her, and they each quit. So, for the last two years, I've been teaching her myself. Thankfully, the REAL music major with piano emphasis--my 20yo-- is moving back home since he is switching colleges,  so I will have him take over her piano lessons next month! Yay! Of course, I'm not sure a sibling is the best choice for a teacher, so he may end up quitting, too. LOL

Quoting tuffymama:

That's really cool. I'll be sending LO over for lessons in just a minute. LOL.

We have recorders, all kinds of drums, maracas, castanets, a ukelele, guitars, keyboards, and a tambourine in our collection, and we all sing in this house, but no one knows how to really play an instrument. DH and I have talked about it at length, and we've decided to start LO on piano when it looks like he is ready to take instruction and sit still for a little while.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I agree! It develops so many other skills than just the instrrument! Even my music-disinterested 18yo had 2 years of piano, a year of keyboard in public school, and 4 years of trumpet with band.

My 20yo has thanked me several times for NOT letting him quit piano in 5th grade. He is a music major now.

Quoting oredeb:

all the kids play a few instruments, the only thing i could teach a little bit was the guitar, so some of our friends in our church oftered to teach the kids as they grew up, so they play the drums, bass, guitar, mandolin, violin, piano/keyboard, harmonica, we always had a piano or keyboard in the house so they all know that, as they were learning it they also choose another instrument to learn, what i really like is they still play them today, so i think its very worth teaching some kinda instrument when the kids are younger! even if they dont like it! when they are older it will come in handy!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I admit, I outsource.   I took viola for two years in school, but my parents weren't very well off and wouldn't get me private lessons, so I fell behind the other students and finally dropped it.

My older kids have had a few lessons on an instrument, and they practice it at least a few times a week.   I can't always get them lessons, like right now, their current instructor only charges $10 per half hour but he and his family is moving away.    :*(     So they will not get many lessons from him since they just started two weeks before his parents decided to move.   But it gives them a kick to learn a few things and they can practice them on their own for a few months until i find someone else we can afford for a bit.   They've had lessons  before, too.

Plus, they are involved in a homeschool choir.

Other than that, we just enjoy listening to music in our home and lots of worship time!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)