Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

...... What would you like to study for your lessons?                        

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Oooo, me too! I want to be an FBI Profiler!

Quoting mamamedic69:

Forensic psychology.

katinahat
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Quantum mechanics! It's SO fascinating :) Or immunology. I've been reading quite a bit about that lately.

Christian, vaccinating, fun-loving, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, positive disciplining, nerdy, extended rear-facing, bookworm, creative, outdoorsy, autodidactic, friendly family.

"If you judge people, you have no time to love them." -- Mother Teresa

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM

He is soooo fascinating! 

Quoting mamamedic69:

To learn about how criminal minds work-profiling.
I've meet a few people in that department and even had lunch one time with Dr. Henry Lee.

Quoting kirbymom:

Ummm, how does that work exactly? I think I have an idea but I am not sure. 

Quoting mamamedic69:

Forensic psychology.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Mar. 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

He was so wonderful in person too. He can have a conversation with anyone and sound like he is your friend even tho he is so freaking smart.

Quoting KickButtMama:

He is soooo fascinating! 

Quoting mamamedic69:

To learn about how criminal minds work-profiling.
I've meet a few people in that department and even had lunch one time with Dr. Henry Lee.

Quoting kirbymom:

Ummm, how does that work exactly? I think I have an idea but I am not sure. 

Quoting mamamedic69:

Forensic psychology.

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:23 PM

History. It was my weak subject in scchool but I'd love to learn more. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Here's where it might get a little weird...I have a small (actually massively large) obsession with the plague. I can't study Middle Ages without studying from at least Greece on up. However, I get to delve into Jutinians plague then too.... I've been able to write a paper for every class I've taken thus far on the plague (incuding my anatomy and physiology class).  Lately, it has been looking at the correlation of climate with the spread of the disease. I also enjoy looking at the impact it made on a cultural level. So for me, it all kinda connects in the end :)

Quoting kirbymom:

I have an interest in all of those but I would rather stick with the history. Especially the history you are studying. 

Quoting No_Difference:

History. Good thing that's what I'm going to school for lol ;) Not American history tho...I'm focusing on early European history, and then later it will be "ancient history" but with more of a focus on the Middle Ages.

I also love anthropology - all the diferent branches of it :)
I wouldn't mind studying more on infectious diseases either. (weird...I know...)

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:28 PM

That is amazing! That is how my husband and I do our studies for ourselves and our kids. You can't truly understand the impact something has on the people and on society as an individual or as a whole, if you do not study it from all angles. imho  I had one of my kids do a study on the diseases and their impact on society about a year ago and it so impacted her life that she still remembers it even today. She now realizes how the impact of a disease can control so much in society and society's ability to make decisions.  

Quoting No_Difference:

Here's where it might get a little weird...I have a small (actually massively large) obsession with the plague. I can't study Middle Ages without studying from at least Greece on up. However, I get to delve into Jutinians plague then too.... I've been able to write a paper for every class I've taken thus far on the plague (incuding my anatomy and physiology class).  Lately, it has been looking at the correlation of climate with the spread of the disease. I also enjoy looking at the impact it made on a cultural level. So for me, it all kinda connects in the end :)

Quoting kirbymom:

I have an interest in all of those but I would rather stick with the history. Especially the history you are studying. 

Quoting No_Difference:

History. Good thing that's what I'm going to school for lol ;) Not American history tho...I'm focusing on early European history, and then later it will be "ancient history" but with more of a focus on the Middle Ages.

I wouldn't mind studying more on infectious diseases either. (weird...I know...)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I try and do "full" studies like this with my daughter (little guy is too little yet lol), but hubby gets annoyed and frustrated with me and goes out of his way to meddle and then gets OVER technical and it all falls apart.
I love seeing where all the different branches lead off of just one single subject, and it's so much easier to follow them all when you're really interested in the subject! I've had to pause on a few branches so I could focus on others for awhile many times. It's why I'm focusing on climate and spread of diseases currently. I think why I like learning hsitory so much is because I like to see what was left OUT in most classes because just the broad view was shown, and it never really lets you see what was important in terms of every day life during those times...
The plauge for instance had SUCH an impact on medieval life and it's only every mentioned briefly in many history classes, if at all... It's reflected in art, in stories, in architecture, in HOW they lived their lives, and WHY their lives went from massive cities to small cities, and how social classes shifted, and even the shift in many landscapes... Something so small causes such a big impact...and THAT is where my love in history lies :). It always has. If we don't look at the small details, the big picture usually doesn't mean much and you can't study small things without looking at all the different angles and contributing factors, then the big picture is still a generalized overview blur... (in my opinion anyway lol).

Quoting kirbymom:

That is amazing! That is how my husband and I do our studies for ourselves and our kids. You can't truly understand the impact something has on the people and on society as an individual or as a whole, if you do not study it from all angles. imho  I had one of my kids do a study on the diseases and their impact on society about a year ago and it so impacted her life that she still remembers it even today. She now realizes how the impact of a disease can control so much in society and society's ability to make decisions.  

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting No_Difference:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I've thought about that muself atime or two. :)  What sparked your interest? 

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

I'm actually hoping to apply for Midwifery school next year.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:45 PM

How long does that take?  

Quoting ripemango:

foreign language immersion :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN