Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a 7 year old

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I've been homeschooling my son since September. He is 7 & just finishing up 1st grade. He started off really well. He listened, did his work & we were having fun too... But ever since January it has been a nightmare. We changed curriculums, tried different schedules, incentives & anything you can think of & still nothing works. He says its boring, not fun, he's tired, doesn't want to do anything that has to do with school.

now I don't know if this is normal behavior for a 7 yr old or if I need to do something else. What we are doing now is that if he doesn't do his school work he has to do chores instead. No playing, no fun. I'm trying to make him understand that school is part of our daily life....

Any suggestions or similar experiences with boys this age?

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Replies (21-24):
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I do interactive workshops for the University Of North Florida, and for Home School Groups.  If you or your group is interested feel free to contact me. 

mom2Bellarose
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for this post and the answers ladies. I am hitting a rough spot with my 7 y/o daughter. She fits the NT personality type to a  T

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:03 PM

You might also get the book / DVD Teaching Boys and Other Children Who Would Rather Make Forts All Day by Andrew Pudwa (sp?).  It's available from Institute for Excellence in Writing.   Pudwa is a bit weird, but he really does have a good approach and, I think being the mom of three sons, good insights into how boys think and learn. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If you have tried everything to make it fun, then maybe it's time to try a different approach.   I'm not a professional, nor a majorly experienced HSer (been struggling at this for only a few years)...

However,  I have been teaching my kids the principles found in the bible about laziness, slothfulness, etc...   I've also been teaching them the rewards and blessings for diligence and work.   Sometimes I pull this off pretty successfully, other times we have tears of frustration and irriatation.

There is one particular verse in the bible that goes, "Let he who will not work, not eat."   It wasn't said by Jesus, but it was said by Paul in the New Testament.   It was regarding lazy people who wouldn't help out, but who wanted to eat off the labor of others.   Yes, I feed my kids, but they don't get other blessings that they enjoy when they don't cooperate.

This approach doesn't always work... especially with my most gifted and yet most spaced out child... (sometimes that girl!!! grrr!!!)   But we don't allow video games, tv, (or any other electronics) or friend time without their having actually worked at school that day.   They either finish their work or earn a pardon from mom (me) because I know they put in a valiant effort and we put it aside for the day.   It's a governors pardon, though, they don't get to beg for it...

Also, we have no issues making it punative sometimes.  Some people disagree with discipline for schoolwork.   I'm on the fence, because I don't want it all to be discipline or negative, but sometimes kids come to a point where they have to learn to accomplish work before play.   A lot of the time, the reality of manual labor instead of school work helps... same with the reality of sorry, you may not call your friend tonight because math was neglected.   Maybe tomorrow.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN