Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Writing curriculum.

Posted by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM
  • 7 Replies
I was wondering if any one could recommend a good writing curriculum for a 5th-6th grader, my son is a 6th grader and right now we are doing an online school,(don't ask long story)! My son if you just say write something he freaks out and says I don't know what to write, or how to do it. I am looking for something for the summer for him to work on, I was wanting something that explains the different types of writing, ways to do it, gives examples and then they do it, workbook format, video etc, and either Christian or non Christian will work. Thanks.
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
gacgbaker
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm still getting a feel for this with my kids too- they are struggling with writting.  Once i get them to do it, they do a pretty good job, but they freak out at the thought!

lucsch
by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Institute for Excellence in Writing

Essentials in Writing

Both have DVD teaching

Igniting your Writing is cheap and something you could do on your own with him.

Liamoondancer
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:53 AM

A daily (or weekly) journal is always an easy start.  They can just write about what they did and how they felt about it - or you can give them writing "prompts."  Examples:

The thing that makes me angriest is... If I were a boy(girl), I would...  I would love to vacation  in...

The holiday I like most is...  What nice manners kids in homeschool group have..  What I did that could be called bullying...  Why I don't like cabbage...

Why Mommie had the crazy neighbor arrested..  (LOL - I did!)      Why I should never talk to someone who is unzipping his pants... (neighbor did)

In other words, have the child write about what is going on in his life and how he feels about it..

GELiz
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Well, this is my curriculum that I wrote for children like that. Go to applied-grammar.com and check it out. or send me a message and I will talk to you. Or go to the website get my number etc.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Wr did free writing and i seen what they needed help with we went from topic then to topic sentence then topic paragraph second paragraph then thrid paragraph then conclusion sentence conclision paragraph then punuation capital and end points to a sentences you may can ask more depend on
what they need.just points if that help sorry then the three different of writing paper
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I really like IEW.  I have certain issues with it -- the example writing is not at the highest (but then, I'm a lawyer -- I pick apart writing for a living).  However, for teaching organization and rewriting the program is one of the best out there.  My daughter (6th grade) has made a lot of progress in the last year using this program.

Quoting lucsch:

Institute for Excellence in Writing

Essentials in Writing

Both have DVD teaching

Igniting your Writing is cheap and something you could do on your own with him.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 28, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Hi nora. :)  You might want to try this link out. It uses writing propmpts. 

http://www.mybookez.org/writing-prompts-for-sixth-grade/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)