Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Transitioning from public to home schooling. How tough is it to get started?

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Mar. 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Replies (21-25):
lifesadream83
by on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:13 PM

it took us a year to get in a groove and find curriculum that fit our family

mem82
by Platinum Member on Apr. 14, 2013 at 6:28 PM

So how is it going?

Sandy616
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:39 PM

We haven't started yet, and may be dead in the water before we begin. My husband is completely against it. He's afraid I'm taking on too much and it will ruin our home life. I know that it'll be rough to start since I still have to work full time but I know in my gut that its best for my older son. I'm trying to find a compromise but I understand his concern. I work 8-4 while he sleeps (he works nights). The boys have a tendency to fight with each other when I'm not home. Sometimes this wakes him up after only a few hours sleep. Any suggestions on things to keep the boys busy and learning while they're unsupervised during the day? They're 10 and 12. 

Thanks for all the support and advice, ladies!

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM
I started partial homeschooling before going full time and now my son loves it.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:45 AM
You could keep them in school half days. Or see if there is another homeschooling family that you could befriend and they could take the boys for a few hours. Do you live near any family that is home during the day? Sending them to grandmas with a backpack and schoolwork works for some families.

I've decided to quit my current job, I am off for the summer anyway, and I don't make much but we do depend on my income. We are just going to find ways to make it work and I'm looking for a pt more flexible job, or even a work at home job or something I could bring the kids to, so I can bring in a little income. But we will cut back in any areas we can (which will be hard because we already don't spend much).

I also am one to say bribery, lol. I would bribe them with something, if they can be good and let dad sleep during the day. They can watch educational tv between assignments. If they can get all their schoolwork done and stay quiet, then maybe they can get a reward.

Good luck! My DH works nights too, so I know how hard it is to keep the kids from screaming at each other while the poor guy tries to sleep!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)