Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is that considered schoolwork?

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is another article that delves into this guilt trip we mothers always seem to fall into....  

Does that Count as School? — Guest Blogger Cindy

January 27th, 2013 by dailynews

A friend of mine and I have an inside joke that involves PBS…

Does Word World count as doing reading today?

I can already hear all the gasps of the critics…”I knew this homeschool thing was a hoax…”

Don’t let me be misleading; it started with a sick week. My kids had been passing a stomach bug and as I tried to plug school in here and there between helping whomever was vomiting at the time, I realized we’d had PBS on for about three. I also heard one of my five-year-old twins parroting back to the TV as Word World assisted me in teaching him how to read. As I felt my mommy guilt overpowering me, I called in for backup; a more seasoned homeschool mom.

“We’ve been watching PBS for three days. Does that count as school?”

She quickly reassured me that, yes, all circumstances considered, it does.

We have a reading curriculum. We have a curriculum for every subject. And on top of that, the twins get services at the public school three times a week for two and a half hours at a time. And although the focus of that time is socialization, reading and other learning is happening while they’re there.

My kids are learning. And not everything they need to know comes out of a text book. In this bizarre race to make kindergarten the first grade of our generation and in essence fast forward through a whole year of development and play and social skills, we’ve become trapped in the “smartest kid gets ahead” mentality. A preschooler should not feel pressure. It’s okay if a five-year-old cannot read yet. And for mom’s we should not feel this abnormal need to perform and thereby rush our children into milestones they are not yet ready for. It’s stressful for everyone and it’s unnecessary. And sometimes, yes, sometimes, it’s okay to take a break from trying so hard.

This is what I’ve learned thus far on my homeschooling journey in terms of what is most important: read, read, read to them. Play with them. Leave room for imagination and free play. Structure is good but you can have too much of a good thing. Our kids are like flowers; they need good soil (home/foundation), good food, lots of sunlight and water and above all, love.

The seeds will grow.

And as always, fun learning is forever learning.

Ann Simpson

You can read more of Cindy’s blog at http://lifeasarinnagade.blogspot.com/.

undefined

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Wow. I would be over at the friends house asking if I could pick her brains and learn a thing or two. lol  

Quoting Walnutgrovefarm:

We've been into watching Mythbusters for science since we are done with our book. I'm learning a lot so I can imagine what my ds is taking in. P.S. I found out about Mythbusters on here and mentioned it to my son, he said he watched it at a friends house whose mom is a scientist. Very interesting!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Curriculum can be anything! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank goodness too or I wouldn't know what to teach my kids. lol   

kidding of course

Quoting Precious333:

Curriculum can be anything! :)

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Great minds think alike. :) 

Quoting Kat0038:

If a child learns from it absolutely. 

OakesMama
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM

My oldest learns differently, he learned to read with leapfrog letter and word factory's. He boosted his reading with word world. now for any scoffing at this he is now 10 ( he was reading at 4) and is reading fluently at a 7th grade level. he just started at a private school last month and they are amazed at his reading capabilities. So Yes I count it as schooling, but we talk about the words used in the program and we reveiw them too.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM

That is so awesome. :)   Sounds like what you do in your teaching time works well. :)   

Quoting OakesMama:

My oldest learns differently, he learned to read with leapfrog letter and word factory's. He boosted his reading with word world. now for any scoffing at this he is now 10 ( he was reading at 4) and is reading fluently at a 7th grade level. he just started at a private school last month and they are amazed at his reading capabilities. So Yes I count it as schooling, but we talk about the words used in the program and we reveiw them too.

OakesMama
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you :)

Quoting kirbymom:

That is so awesome. :)   Sounds like what you do in your teaching time works well. :)   

Quoting OakesMama:

lucsch
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

The most important stuff I learned about living my everyday life, I learned from my mom. The thing is, though,  I was public schooled all the way. LOL

I don't worry about a missed day here or there. That homeschooling mom must be new at this.

jeweldragons
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I don't see anything wrong with using TV stations or shows as part of the education process.  I picked up some Spanish by watching Dora and Diego.  I will be using various history and Islamic documentaries for Islamic Studies and History when I homeschool. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

You know, all the important stuff that I learned also did not come from my public school experience while growing up. They came from my after school experiences and from my weekend experiences and during my summer break experiences.  And some even from my family! lol  :)  You made a great point, Thanks. :)  

Quoting lucsch:

The most important stuff I learned about living my everyday life, I learned from my mom. The thing is, though,  I was public schooled all the way. LOL

I don't worry about a missed day here or there. That homeschooling mom must be new at this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)