Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is that considered schoolwork?

Posted by   + Show Post

Here is another article that delves into this guilt trip we mothers always seem to fall into....  

Does that Count as School? — Guest Blogger Cindy

January 27th, 2013 by dailynews

A friend of mine and I have an inside joke that involves PBS…

Does Word World count as doing reading today?

I can already hear all the gasps of the critics…”I knew this homeschool thing was a hoax…”

Don’t let me be misleading; it started with a sick week. My kids had been passing a stomach bug and as I tried to plug school in here and there between helping whomever was vomiting at the time, I realized we’d had PBS on for about three. I also heard one of my five-year-old twins parroting back to the TV as Word World assisted me in teaching him how to read. As I felt my mommy guilt overpowering me, I called in for backup; a more seasoned homeschool mom.

“We’ve been watching PBS for three days. Does that count as school?”

She quickly reassured me that, yes, all circumstances considered, it does.

We have a reading curriculum. We have a curriculum for every subject. And on top of that, the twins get services at the public school three times a week for two and a half hours at a time. And although the focus of that time is socialization, reading and other learning is happening while they’re there.

My kids are learning. And not everything they need to know comes out of a text book. In this bizarre race to make kindergarten the first grade of our generation and in essence fast forward through a whole year of development and play and social skills, we’ve become trapped in the “smartest kid gets ahead” mentality. A preschooler should not feel pressure. It’s okay if a five-year-old cannot read yet. And for mom’s we should not feel this abnormal need to perform and thereby rush our children into milestones they are not yet ready for. It’s stressful for everyone and it’s unnecessary. And sometimes, yes, sometimes, it’s okay to take a break from trying so hard.

This is what I’ve learned thus far on my homeschooling journey in terms of what is most important: read, read, read to them. Play with them. Leave room for imagination and free play. Structure is good but you can have too much of a good thing. Our kids are like flowers; they need good soil (home/foundation), good food, lots of sunlight and water and above all, love.

The seeds will grow.

And as always, fun learning is forever learning.

Ann Simpson

You can read more of Cindy’s blog at http://lifeasarinnagade.blogspot.com/.

undefined

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Replies (31-40):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 5:04 PM

One of my daughters got interested in the Spanish Language because of her younger siblings watching Dora and Diego. :)  She has taken it upon herself to teach herself the language and if I may say so, she is doing a fantastic job of it too. :) 

I think it is important for me to teach my kids the differing religions from different countries. The kids end up saying to us, "...Ooooohhh, so that is why they are like that. Now I get it." 

Quoting jeweldragons:

I don't see anything wrong with using TV stations or shows as part of the education process.  I picked up some Spanish by watching Dora and Diego.  I will be using various history and Islamic documentaries for Islamic Studies and History when I homeschool. 

Kat0038
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My six year old daughter learns best from being read to where as my four year old learns best by the computer, iPad, and PBS. Every child's learns differently and by homeschooling I have the capability to use any source I can get my hands on to get our learning goals accomplished. I have to thank school house rock for explaining to my how a bill became a law, because the way the teacher at school explained it I wasn't understanding. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Great minds think alike. :) 

Quoting Kat0038:

If a child learns from it absolutely. 

morriganna
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I wouldn't even consider feeling guilty about that. lol.  When you think about it, most kids spend three months straight not doing anything educational every year.  Three days of educational programming won't melt their brains. ;)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:51 AM

LOL. I have one kid who learns best through tech as well. We love using readingeggs.com, brainpop.com, and time4learning.com

Quoting Kat0038:

My six year old daughter learns best from being read to where as my four year old learns best by the computer, iPad, and PBS. Every child's learns differently and by homeschooling I have the capability to use any source I can get my hands on to get our learning goals accomplished. I have to thank school house rock for explaining to my how a bill became a law, because the way the teacher at school explained it I wasn't understanding. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Kat0038:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL, that's what happens at my house all the time! Kids are always asking me science questions when they come for play days...lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Wow. I would be over at the friends house asking if I could pick her brains and learn a thing or two. lol  

Quoting Walnutgrovefarm:

We've been into watching Mythbusters for science since we are done with our book. I'm learning a lot so I can imagine what my ds is taking in. P.S. I found out about Mythbusters on here and mentioned it to my son, he said he watched it at a friends house whose mom is a scientist. Very interesting!

deadlights86
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:56 AM

My kids are public school for the moment looking into homeschool if this special program doesn't work for ds and they watch pbs at school.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 31, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I completely agree with you! As long as it's working, and your child is learning; go with it!

Quoting OFIH:

I have used some educational DVDs to supplement our day and they count. I clearly remember movies in school, public school, as a child. We watched all sorts of movies, including things that were 100% not educational in any way. At least all of our have to do with what we are studying that week. I stopped feeling guilty about that quite a long time ago when I remembered my public school experience. If you can add in something that helps a child understand a concept better, easier, or quicker, then it should be employed in your day. Forget what the naysayers think.

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

mamaof2n1angel
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I use  PBS and a few  other channels for learning... nat geo, science channel even the  weather  channel!!!  I  also use alot of  real life   things -- dr appts for  hands on things  for my youngest  child that  is  a SN  kid. With my  older two are always wtih me at one point or another and they  loving  being able to hear things and learn about  how  to carefor their sister that is  wheel chair bound.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM

It is a sad state of affairs when a teacher can adequately explain her lessons.  :(

Quoting Kat0038:

Quoting kirbymom:

Quoting Kat0038:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 31, 2013 at 5:29 PM

The shows that the public schools put on are not any different than what we do for homeschooling.  Why this is even questioned is the fact that the public school system questions everything that a homeschooling family will do for their lessons. 

Quoting deadlights86:

My kids are public school for the moment looking into homeschool if this special program doesn't work for ds and they watch pbs at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)