Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am coming to the realization... piog

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 5 Replies
1 mom liked this

That I could have totally filed a PSA and homeschooled on my own. We started with a charter school last week and I don't like it. The curriculum is not what I had in mind for homeschooling. I imagined we would choose what we wanted to learn about in subjects like art, reading, social studies and science. We would make sure to stay busy with writing, spelling and math. Well right now I feel like we are in public school at home minus 29 other kids. Thanks for reading and if you have any books/websites/ideas you can share with me that would be awesome. My kids will be in 2nd grade and Pre-K. We are located in the Bay Area, CA if anyone has any local recommendations. Thanks. Happy Easter!

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:02 PM
There are tons of free curriculums on the internet for the younger kids, like Lesson Pathways, Head of the Class, Learning Pages, just to name a few.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:50 AM

You will find  a lot of support here and in your State Home School Association. 

The California Home School Association has a page on legal requirements for you.  They also have links to support groups in California HERE.

Here is another article that will help you decide on your curriculum, and help you start creating some of your own.  How To Home School. ( Understanding a child's learning style is important in choosing curriculum, but if you do whole brain teaching, you reach all the learning styles)

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Easy Peasy All in One homeschooling for the older and for the Pre Ker, just library books and starfall. Also look into "Better Late Than Early" and some unschooling links. I know a lot of parents who start out thinking how hard its going to be and then realizing homeschooling is really not that scary or difficult! Its just an extension of parenting. Have fun with it!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I recommend checking out www.time4learning.com. It's a good transition between charter and traditional (all on you) HS.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:44 PM

So are you thinking of switching to home schooling, just you doing the work?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)