Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Give Me Your BEST Socialization Response

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 34 Replies

So, I still trying to find a clever, nice-nasty response to all the socializtion questions. Even my friends and family members who are teachers and witness the horrible treatment of student by classmates and even their teachers claim they are better off in this environment. 

Please give me your BEST response to someone implying your child(ren) will be weird if they don't attend conventional school. 

Thanks in advance! 

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM
3 moms liked this
I encourage my children to be wearied & different because those are the people that change the world & our world is in desperate need of change! I have never had to say it but it is the best I have come up with that I think will shut most peoples up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM
3 moms liked this
For me it's if I want my children to be quiet all day and learn how to mistreat people then I'll send her to public school. Until then I will continue to homeschool.:)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 7:11 PM
4 moms liked this

I like weird! It means my kids aren't little robots.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

For one thing weird is subjective.  Weird to one person may not be weird to someone else.  I homeschool for social reasons. (among others) I want my kids to have different experiences and actually be able to experience the world.  I want them to have choices.  Sitting in one room every day all day is not socialization.  My kids love homeschooling and being able to experience the world as often as we like.   There is no educational system with as much freedom that homeschooling gives a parent and child. 

luvcats406
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM

If I had the guts, I would probably tell them that I am a social misfit ( very shy)  and I went to school all my life!  My kids are the same way.  I just pulled them out of school last year and they are still as shy as anything.  My kids actually learned how to misbehave by going to school.  They were sweet to me till I put them in school.  Then when I put them in school they started mouthing off to me.  Notice I said if I had the guts.  I have a hard time standing up to people.  I can do it in writing though!

OFIH
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:35 AM
3 moms liked this

Simple, I tell them the definition of socialization ("a continuing process whereby an individual acquires a personal identity and learns the norms, values, behavior, and social skills appropriate to his or her social position.") and then ask them how homeschooling prevents that from happening. I then tell them that what they really mean is socialize ("to associate or mingle sociably with others:") and I don't want my children socializing with only kids their age. I want socializing to happen with all age brackets, with all types of people, and in all types of settings and a school cannot provide that, not even close. Homeschooling is actually better for that aspect of learning.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:36 AM
4 moms liked this

Who says public school is the right way to socialize your children? That's usually my come back. My oldest was very shy and she was in PS for 3 years. It didn't help her, home schooling actually gave her a chance to come out of her shell.  She is more social now than she was when she was in PS.

It is funny how that is the go to question when someone finds out my girls are home schooled. They don't ask me about curriculum, or if I'm "qualified" nope it the socialization aspect. I don't get it. It's ingrained in children to socialize even the most shy kids, and believe me I have one of those shy kids, can socialize. Why does it come down to that. I'd worry about the mom/dad not doing their job and that would be to make sure the kids are leaning something, I could care less if they are "socialized".

If my girls got any more socializing they'd burn out! If anyone said my girls didn't know how to act in public because they are home schooled they are crazy. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
5 moms liked this

If my kids were any more social, they'd be running for office.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
13 moms liked this

I make sure to unchain them and release them from the basement at least once a month. 

maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:11 PM
9 moms liked this

"Oh no. After much discussion and research we've decided to not socialize our children. It is hard keeping them in the closet all the time (separate closets of course!) but it will be worth it in the long run."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)