Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Give Me Your BEST Socialization Response

So, I still trying to find a clever, nice-nasty response to all the socializtion questions. Even my friends and family members who are teachers and witness the horrible treatment of student by classmates and even their teachers claim they are better off in this environment. 

Please give me your BEST response to someone implying your child(ren) will be weird if they don't attend conventional school. 

Thanks in advance! 

by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this

Hey! That is what I was going to say!

bahahahahahahah  

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

"Aren't you worried about socialization?"

"Oh absolutely! It's one of the reasons we've decided to homeschool!"

OakesMama
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

So in otherwords they want their children and yours for that matter to only know how to socialize with their peers? That's ridiculous! kids need more variety in socialization than what the public school system gives them.  Not sure what I'd say other then that.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

No when she went to public school she was an outcast and they did not work on her social skills.  I have her home all day with me.  I work on social skills along with keeping her challenged which public school never did.  She thought I sent her to school to get a break and that it was her job to help the teacher teach.  Sorry this funny, comical and polite child would not be here if I had not taken her out of public school.

snazzylady1
by Member on Mar. 31, 2013 at 10:31 PM

You could just tell them that there is no guarantee with anything.  Public school has been considered a way of educating our youth because society has said that is how we should do it.  When in fact there are many children in a public school setting who have some serious socialization issues.  Look at the students who were responsible for the school shootings.  They weren't homeschooled and they had some issues that were never addressed.  Maybe if they had been homeschooled by their parents that may not have happened.  Who knows. When it comes to education, I think the best thing is just to expose them to as much as you can, teach them the love of learning so they will continue to learn as adults.  Trust me after being a public school teacher for years, I have seen it all.  Of course there are more good kids than bad, but you still have kids with socialization issues in a public setting too What is more concerning about them is that they will most likely never get the treatment that they need.  Although I don't plan to homeschool my daughter, I can totally understand why so many mothers have chosen to do it. 

Tonya Simmons

smartandsnazzykids.com

mothermandy
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 10:42 AM
2 moms liked this

I have seen plenty of weirdos come out of "conventional school" enviromnents.  I love my children enough to spend my own entire day teaching, shaping, counseling, molding, instructing, directing and loving them.  I'd say that ought to yield a less-weird individual than "conventional" environments!

LoriAlane8
by Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 5:29 PM
1 mom liked this

These are not mine, however, they are quotes I have gathered in the past few years. Hope you can use some of it.

"The socialization criticism dismisses the fact that socialization is no longer equated with problem-solving or “teamwork.” Its evolution is no longer a selling point with many parents. Instead, the public school culture has morphed into a peer pressure-cooker, both ugly and toxic, owing mostly to educators steeped in child psychology, which basically establishes teachers as buddies and pals, instead of providers of leadership, guidance, and discipline." Taken from www.thenewamerican.com

Nothing enrages me more than when people criticize my criticism of school by telling me that schools are not just places to learn math and spelling, they are places where children learn a vaguely defined thing called socialization. I know. I think schools generally do an effective and terribly damaging job of teaching children to be infantile, dependent, intellectually dishonest, passive and disrespectful to their own developmental capacities. (1981)

Seymour Papert

Pasted from <http://todayinsci.com/QuotationsCategories/S_Cat/Socialization-Quotations.htm>

You don't mean "socialization" but "assimilation" right?

Message my sister, a previous public school teacher, put on FB the year after she started schooling her 2 younger girls.

"I can also give my two cents and feel I have a lot of knowledge about what is out there. I have been a public school teacher for 10 years and decided to home school my two little ones after having pulled our daughter (at the time was 16) out of public high school for "socialization" reasons. Rest assured, most people would NOT want their kids "socialized" by the majority that attend public schools these days. I don't like to debate on FB but schooling my children at home also allows them to move ahead at their pace. Believe me, as a public school teacher, we cater to the children that are "borderline" to pass the state standardized testing! We definitely aren't worried about the brighter students (and most time they are left twiddling their thumbs because we (the teachers) are too busy bringing the ones that are behind up to where they should be). I have not regretting schooling my kids at home this year where they are challenged daily and don't have to worry about who is dating who, what they are wearing and all while trying to learn and feel safe. I definitely am reaping the rewards of being less stressed, as well. Teachers have it ridiculously hard while getting paid diddly!! It's a profession that requires most to be on anti-anxiety meds and the like. O.K. So that's my two cents worth and I will get of my soap box now!! :-)"

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2013 at 9:29 PM
That's me too! I'm awkwardly quiet and shy. I usually don't respond to people's comments because I can't think of what to say. I can answer questions but keeping up with conversation is hard for me. I went to public school my whole life. I'm definitely a social misfit too. My 4 1/2 year old is social and super chatty lol.

Quoting luvcats406:

If I had the guts, I would probably tell them that I am a social misfit ( very shy)  and I went to school all my life!  My kids are the same way.  I just pulled them out of school last year and they are still as shy as anything.  My kids actually learned how to misbehave by going to school.  They were sweet to me till I put them in school.  Then when I put them in school they started mouthing off to me.  Notice I said if I had the guts.  I have a hard time standing up to people.  I can do it in writing though!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KymberleeAnn
by on Apr. 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, my kids too they are social butterflies.

Quoting KickButtMama:

If my kids were any more social, they'd be running for office.

Come and join the fun at the:sunglasses mini

KymberleeAnn's Corner for African American Women

Or the Adorable Ladies group

www.cafemom.com/group/118327

www.cafemom.com/group/118542 Adorable Ladies Link

luvcats406
by Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Yes, it is horribly hard for me to even go to homeschooling events.  I have to make myself go.  I tell myself it is for the kids.  They need it!

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Apr. 6, 2013 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Thanks ladies! I've finally come up with my own:

Aren't you worried about socialization?
No I'm actually worried about conformity.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)