Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

thinking about homeschooling

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
  • 9 Replies
My daughter started pre school and the suggested I take her out and wait for kindergarten because she was advanced but could not put a 4 year old in kindergarten. She loved school but our schools are not that greet and I cannot afford private. She is reading toddler board books, ones I have never read.she knows how to write all the letters, can write words if she is looking at them and knows her numbers up to 40. What should I do with her? Can I start homeschooling, do I have to wait until she is 5? Is there some homeschooling stuff I can do and hold off on others?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
DG123
by on Mar. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I am currently using a Kindergarten curriculum with my 4 year old daughter.  I don't see the point in suppressing knowledge with a child so eager to learn.  

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Yes you can homeschool her & you don't need a curriculum to do it just help her learn what she shows interest in until you learn her learning style then you can find a curriculum that will fit her instead of trying to make her fit a curiculem.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Like DG123 said, with home school, you fit the lessons to the child's needs...not the child to the one size fits all grade level standards.  . Since she is ready for kindergarten start there.  .  That will put her ahead of the kids in P.S. again, but there is no need to hold her back to make her fit the PS. standards.  The following article will help you get started

How To Home School ( you will not have to worry about the laws until next year)

elise1031
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM
Thank you guys. I would never hold her back and we work together everyday on writing. I'm So excited because since she was a baby she would just sit and watch waiting to learn. I love training dogs and for awhile I felt like I was treating her like a dog lol. She us always willing and often comes to me and asks to learn something. I just don't know what to teach her anymore., there is Si much and she is so smart in all fields. She is So willing it is a little over whelming at times. And I hate when she asks something and I don't know the answer. Now she asks me to google it. Sigh lol. I live in Oregon. Is there like books I can get from dollar tree kmart wall mart to help her? I'm so UN pre pared. I expected her to be smart, just not so early. Her dad, my sister and I took a little longer we were rebellious did not want to sit down and read like she does. I guess that means I gave her the great gift of loving to read.
LostInLove2002
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:42 PM

If she's really enjoying learning I'd teach her K at home. It may be something you want to do for a couple of years and then have her tested to be placed where she academically belongs.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

If you plan on homeschooling I would go ahead and get kindergarten curriculum because she is ready and then go slowly with it at her own pace and when she wants to do school.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:54 PM
1 mom liked this

abcmouse.com has worksheets and is fun for that age.  But it costs money

theheadoftheclass.com is free and fun and a full curriculum.

education.com is free and you can print all kinds of worksheets.

Walmart, Kmart and the dollar store has lots of good workbooks.

A book that you may want to read is What My Kindergardener Should Know  I am pretty sure that is the correct name.

elise1031
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Thank you guys so much! This will help us get a great start
lucsch
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Read, read, and read some more to her. I think it lays a foundation and allows little ones to soak in all that learning that they desire without the pressure of having to learn, if that makes sense. You can use the library and get lists of children's literature off of the internet. Cover a variety of subjects. Don't forget nursery rhymes. They are a great introduction to poetry and language. Sing and dance to preschool songs. Keep working on the letters and reading. I would get the Explode the Code workbooks just to make sure there are no gaps in her phonics. For math, I found Advantage Math PDFs (you can actually buy these as workbooks too)  off of Currclick to be a good start for Kindergarten. Use common everyday objects to demonstrate the concepts. She can count to 40, but does she really understand a one-to-one relationship with the numbers and what happens if you add one or take one away? Play games--lots of math skills are easily learned through board games.

This age is so fun and easy to teach. An hour a day is all it takes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN