Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

K-12 virtual private versus public Curriculum

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hello Everyone,

My son is 10 years old with Aspies and Sensory processing disorder.

I have had great resistance from most everyone on the subject of Homeschooling.

Yes I have concerns due to the anxiety that my son can have over the simpliet change.

However, I took him off meds and I survived and he is better for it. Now to take him out of Public school system. There is so much info out there on this subject that I am so happy to find this forum.

I am looking at K-12 and possibly adding Co-Op classes during the week. I will meet with groups over the next couple of weeks. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. I live in Tennessee.

Umbrella schools is that really necessary and if so when and why?

Christina 

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
QueenCreole313
by Julia on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I have not used K12, but from what I've heard it is the same curriculum as a public school. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Personally, I think a more flexible environment is what you need since you have an aspie. You would have more control if you did not use an unbrella school or K12. 

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I have 2 sons on the Autism spectrum & homeschooling is the best thing I have done for their education. I can't advise you on K12 because we have never used it. I also can't advise you on umbrella schools because they are not required in my state.

OFIH
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I homeschool two with Autism and SPD, one of my sons also has dyslexia. Honestly, my kids are doing better now that we homeschool. We can work with their needs. If one needs to stop for a sensory break, we stop for a sensory break. If we need to slow down on a topic, we slow down. If it is one of those days when schooling won't work for them at all due to their needs, we take the day off and make it up elsewhere. We have been able to bring in sensory work, specialized curriculum for any areas of weakness.

It's not easy. I won't lie. There are days when it would be nice to be able to have someone else do it. But it's worth every minute of the hard work. My kids are thriving and I know they are doing better than they would in public school.

We don't use K-12. We looked at it but it wasn't a good fit for us. Hopefully others will have more information about it. I have a close friend that uses it for her son with Asperger's (our sons would probably be classified as Asperger's now that they are a bit older, but I haven't gone back for a change of DX from Autism to Asperger's). She isn't completely pleased with the "public school at home" aspect. But she does like that she receives services for her son for free (speech, etc) because of the program.

celticdragon77
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

K12 is not the same curriculum as all public schools. It is closer to the education I received in public school (but with way more depth and work). When my kids attended the same public school as I had, it was completely different than when I had attended. It was more.... Creative in it it's approach (is the best way for me to describe it). I'm not saying one is better than the other; that depends on the person. But for aspergers, I would think something similar to unschooling would be better - or just homeschooling in general. I personally do not understand how a true aspergers child could do all the aspects of k12 (my children did k12 for a year - it did not work for the oldest at all!). But this is just my limited opinion. I have no children on the autism spectrum.

"live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air..." Emerson 

maggiemom2000
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I have an 11 yr old with Aspergers/OCD, we tried K12 and only lasted 6 weeks. It was not a good fit for my son, and I'll be surprised if it works well for yours.

It is not the same curriculum as the public schools. A lot of the curriculum is quite good, but there are a lot of worksheets and a lot of what feels like "busy work". Even with skipping most of that, it still didn't work. It was just not flexible enough. Even if my child could "test out" of the lesson, it was still time and entering it on the computer.

My biggest problem with the curriculum itself (aside from the mundane worksheets which I could skip) is that almost every lesson, in every subject has an assessment that the child must take. I have no problem with frequent assessments but it was crazy to have several every day! Sometimes I felt like it was daily practice for standardized testing in the Spring!

The joy of having and homeschooling a child with Aspergers is the fascinating ways that they learn and excell that are outside "the norm". Aspies don't fit nicely in a little box and doing K12 with one was like a square peg in a round hole. My reason for homeschooling in the first place was to change the environment to fit the needs of my child instead of trying to make my child fit the environment.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM

BUMP!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

HIPPO - 

I would NOT suggest K12 for your situation. You will need the flexability to go with your DS's style and intersts. K12 is public school at home with required schedules, reporting hours, and some states require specificlog-in web classes.

A homeschooling group, with co-op classes would be a MUCH better fit.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Sebastian662, congratulations for taking control, and doing what is in your son's best interest.  Mothers have an instinct, and know what is best for their children, and you are wise to trust it. .  

Maggiemom2000, and jinx-troublex3. gave you some good information.  The following article explains the different methods used by home educators, so you can pick the best fit for your son.  It also gives links to a news article about the  K12 online  charter schools, and it backs up what Maggiemom2000, and jinx-troublx3 have said.   How To Home School

(Note:  Not all K through 12 programs ("school in a box" programs) that one pays for,  are like the free K12 government subsidized programs. )

My children are now grown, but I still  tutor, and work with a lot of different  children.   Many are hands on learners, children diagnosed with learning disabilities, active children, analytical personalities (often gifted),  and ones with ADHD. I use the eclectic method, and a lot of Whole Brain Teaching (using as many of the senses as possible in the learning process.) With this method, I find medications are almost never needed.  The following explains how Whole Brain Teaching works.

Sebastian662
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Thank you all for the support and suggestions I will keep you posted on my research .

The resistance is strong from the Bio Father but he's not doing the work to find the answers it is I the mother so it goes I must state my findings in a way that he will be open to the idea.

He and I havent been together since my son trned one year old . He has visitation rights and decision making rights. The Bio Father still hasn't come to terms with the diagnosis.

This is why it's so important for me.

Unfortunately for my son and for me my intuition is not enough.

Again thank you all and I look forward to being a part of this wealth of Knowledge and support

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)