Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Diploma

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
  • 21 Replies

My husband and I were talking the other night about home schooling, which is rare, he finally said why he is still somewhat against our girls being home schooled. They will not get a diploma. In his mind he associates a GED with someone who was in jail or quit school(I said HS) and he doesn't want his kids to get a GED he wants them to have a diploma. I understand what he is saying but to me it doesn't really bother me at all but I told him that I would look into online schools or something that offer a dipolma. I figure they could possible to their senior year online or something.

Any suggestions??

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OFIH
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:37 AM
4 moms liked this

Why would they need a GED? Homeschoolers can provide legal diplomas for their students and full transcripts needed for college entrance with no GED. Check out the HSLDA website for your state's requirements on creating a diploma and with resources on creating a transcript for college entrance.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM
He thinks that when the girls get older and apply for jobs and such if they say they didn't graduate from an actual school and received a dipolma they won't get the job or something. I told him that they can apply right to a college they don't need that dipolma, it doesn't matter to him he wants the girls to get a dipolma from an actual school. I will look that up and see what it states for NY.
Quoting OFIH:

Why would they need a GED? Homeschoolers can provide legal diplomas for their students and full transcripts needed for college entrance with no GED. Check out the HSLDA website for your state's requirements on creating a diploma and with resources on creating a transcript for college entrance.

OFIH
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Ah, I see. Yes, check out the laws for your state so that you are working with facts. That's so important for homeschoolers, to know all the facts so they are following the laws of their state. There are ways to get diplomas from "real" schools if that's the ONLY thing keeping him from getting on board. Goodness, your last year of school you could do K-12 and let them take care of that if that's truly the only thing that matters. I will say, I have never had an employer ask for my high school transcript or diploma since becoming an adult. They wanted to know if I graduated and for my college credentials if they applied to the job. My high school paper work has all but been forgotten by anyone who was looking to hire me after graduation.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM
3 moms liked this

I issued  my children their diplomas.  You make your own transcript and issue your own diploma.  I am now down to my last child at home (she is 15).  One of my children began college at the age of 16,  Most of mine just got started in life and working.  Most have some children already whom they are home educating also.  My children are ages 33 (almost) down to 15.    Here is good article about the youngest doctor in the US...  she was home educated :-)   There are no limits in home education.  You are able to tailor each child's education to him/her.  Some can breeze through and some need more time and help.

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:17 AM

http://www.homeschool.com/adventures/article.asp?p=3845    Here is the link for the article

usmom3
by BJ on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know what state you are in, but in Texas (where I am) you issue your own diploma that you can order from the HSLDA (every homeschooler in the USA can order one from them) or the Texas HomeSchool Coalition. Also in Texas the law says that a homeschool diploma has to be acsepted & treated the same as a public school diploma.

blueyedbaker
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I'm in NY. 

I checked out the HSLDA site and got some information. It doesn't bother me if they don't have a diploma from an actualy school but if this is the main reason why my husband doesn't agree with HS then I will try to see what I can do to get the girls an accredited diploma.

Quoting usmom3:

I don't know what state you are in, but in Texas (where I am) you issue your own diploma that you can order from the HSLDA (every homeschooler in the USA can order one from them) or the Texas HomeSchool Coalition. Also in Texas the law says that a homeschool diploma has to be acsepted & treated the same as a public school diploma.

romacox
by Silver Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Very good advice above.  42 States offer dual enrollment which means your child  can receive college credits (by taking  college courses online or on campus) while earning high school credits, and it is free until they turn 18.  This is very credible for jobs, and for college entrance. .  The following article gives you lots of information about that,State Laws, teaching methods, learning styles, grade level requirements and more:

How To Home School

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Honestly, this response always cracked me up...so, what, he thinks most recruiters or HR personnel are aware and familiar with every single 'actual' school there is? Even those there are plenty of actual school that suck tacks? How does he expect the, to just recognize the name of an actual school when conducting an interview? My kids say they attend CMHS. No one really knows the difference. 

If he wants to get on the accreditation board, then I suggest looking into umbrella school. They are actual, state accredited school - which give out actual, real diplomas. And yet it's strictly for the Homeschooler.

Quoting blueyedbaker:

He thinks that when the girls get older and apply for jobs and such if they say they didn't graduate from an actual school and received a dipolma they won't get the job or something. I told him that they can apply right to a college they don't need that dipolma, it doesn't matter to him he wants the girls to get a dipolma from an actual school. I will look that up and see what it states for NY.
Quoting OFIH:

Home Educators Toolbox  / Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Mar. 29, 2013 at 3:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi blueyedbaker. :) You might want to show your husband what HSLDA is saying....

High School Diploma

A high school diploma is a document that bears record of the completion of a course of study. If you're wondering whether your homeschooled student can receive a diploma, the answer is yes!

As the parent, you've prescribed your child's course of study and you can present a diploma that indicates he has successfully completed it. Some correspondence schools also provide diplomas for completion of their course of study.

If for some reason the college your child wants to attend looks skeptically at homeschool diplomas, the quickest way to demonstrate academic competence is to have your child take several courses at the local community college. By dual enrolling, your child can take classes that help complete her high school course work while earning college credit at the same time (subject to state and individual college policies). Those college credits will allow your child to transfer to the school of her choice. (If you select this route, be sure that your child's destination college will accept the specific college courses she plans to take.)

Frequently Asked Questions
Articles
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)